main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Star Wars Detours

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Ordo Skirata, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    It struck me as a real display of creative bankruptcy. Glad it didn't happen.

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Not really sure what to make of it. Looks like a mix of the Holiday Special, Robot Chicken and Star Wars Lego. Looked rather obvious they were self aware that their own characters and storylines were butt ends of satire and ridicule and they just legitimatized them by making it official to make fun of themselves. The point of which am not sure why , maybe to try and be like yeah we can make fun of our own franchise and get paid for it so they're basically accepting mediocrity of their product. Some of the comedy seemed like a mix of satire, slapstick to just obnoxious. Maybe a good idea it was canceled but it should see a release on a DVD bonus or special but then again so should the awful Holiday Special just cause its so bad every fan should watch it,lol.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Unlocked the original thread and merged new one into it.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I would love to see Detours put on Netflix it look good.

5. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I'm conflicted with Detours a big part of me really wants to see it be released yet another part knows that if it ever is released it won't be doing star wars any favours- especially with so many haters around these days

6. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Since its based in the Original Trilogy era and the new movies are set 30 years later that really shouldn't be a problem.

Now if it turns out to be better than Abrams Star Wars movie that would be an entirely different kettle of fish!

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

It would indeed.

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm so glad Detours was cancelled!
    I have no problem with Star Wars parodies at all - I watch the Robot Chicken episodes every once in a while because I think they're hilarious - but I don't want Lucasfilm to do them. As others have stated, the creator shouldn't be the one doing the parody, because it sort of erases the line between the parody and the real deal.
    In fact, when the Detours trailers were released, my reaction was "OK, Star Wars - we had a good, 18-year run - but that's it. We're done". I was saddened by it.
    Then of course, The Big News dropped not long after, and well... here I am :p

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Why people realize. That you did not have to watch the show.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That show looks somewhat funny but would it kill them to get a true Dark Times series? Or a OT series?

spicer likes this.
  11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Of course, this is true. But what would it do to the image of the franchise? If not even the creator takes it seriously anymore - why should anyone else?
    This also seems to be the reason why it was cancelled.

Again, I have no problems with SW parodies. I just don't want them made by Lucasfilm.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

The same thing robot Chicken did nothing people know its comedy.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  13. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    There are two major differences between the Robot Chicken episodes and Detours. First is the point I've mentioned twice already - that it is Lucasfilm doing it, hence making it "official" in a whole different way than RC or Family Guy, or French and Saunders or what have you. Second point, which actually is a much stronger one, is that Robot Chicken had three Star Wars episodes. Detours would be exclusively Star Wars, with some fifty or so episodes.
    It would therefore strongly associate the Star Wars brand with comedy, which - as anyone in the business would tell - isn't a good idea (only pure comedy brands like the above mentioned ones should be strongly associated with comedy in that way).

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Whatever I think people understand its comedy how hard is that to understand.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  15. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    But people's perception of a brand changes quickly and easily. Just look at how Star Wars is talked about post-prequels as opposed to pre-prequels (this is not prequel bashing btw, just an observation of popular opinion in media and the likes).
    Imagine a long-running, official Star Wars TV-show that is nothing but parody/comedy, and how that would change how people see Star Wars. Of course everyone understands it's comedy, but it would make Star Wars comedy. That is why it would hurt the brand, and as evidenced by the fact that the show is cancelled, that is how the people in charge view it too.

Lando Swarm and Vthuil like this.
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

No it would not because the majority of star wars is not comedy. so that would be persevered.

17. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    The majority of the prequels is not Jar Jar Binks, but that is how people think of them.

Lando Swarm likes this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    No people will think about a show being in Starwars that was comedy not the hole franchise.

19. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    And all those kids that are first introduced to the franchise via Detours?

jabberwalkie likes this.
  20. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Thinking back to those 6 standalone clips they released of detours I think about 3 of them made me cringe the other 3 were actually enjoyable to watch. I think my favourite was the clip were Obi wan tries to pick up a girl- or at least that's what I assumed he was doing

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I still would have liked to see it.

22. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
  24. star-wars-insider-5

star-wars-insider-5 Jedi Knight

Feb 13, 2005

I agree with all that you have said!!!

25. lowell

lowell Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 11, 2014
    Still, we could have this show being on Disney Channel and when it airs, Star Wars Rebels airs before it, both could fit the 9:30-10:30 timeslot as part of Disney's Friday Night of Premieres.