main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Star Wars Digital Release- Even More Changes?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by lovelikewinter, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Cedric T Sealion

Cedric T Sealion Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    Look at the x wing I referred to and tell me it doesn't look bizarre. It's so red! Tell me that the blacks aren't crushed. Tell me that the skin tones don't look weird. Tell me that C-3PO doesn't have a nasty green tint.

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Would help if you had an image. I'm not really up for setting up my blu-ray, getting out my disc, and fast forwarding to that exact point just for one picture

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just saw a commercial for this on tv! Coming soon! I-tunes and other places as well.

4. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    The Star Wars YouTube just put up a bunch of trailers.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. SithHorseman

SithHorseman Jedi Master star 1

Feb 22, 2002
    Key question: Which versions will we be buying?

6. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    As expected it's the Blu-Ray cut of the films... not sure why JoBlo, Slash Film, and Latino Review keep insisting on bringing up the OOT Star Wars rumors... ain't happening.

L110 and Saga Explorer like this.
  7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder about this too. Lightsaber corrections come to mind.

8. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Amazon has this set available for pre-order for $89.99.
    I'm not even going to start ranting about this whole thing.

SithLordPat likes this.
  9. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    1. Who on God's Green Earth uses Vudu?
    2. Who pays that much money for digital releases?
    3. BD versions

This is all stupid.

10. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    It's interesting to note that these films are all being marketed sans the "Episode" subtitle. Now it's just "Star Wars: Attack of the Clones," etc. Episode VII was only known as that during the period of pre-production/production prior to a title announcement. Since then, the film has always been referred and marketed as "Star Wars: The Force Awakens."

PT marketing and promotional material included the use of the "Episode" subtitle to help distinguish and emphasize the time period and chronological order of the films, eventually causing the OT to be marketed with the "Episode" subtitles as well. Given the sheer amount of SW films ahead of us the next decade or two, I think it would have been useful to continue marketing the ST with the "Episode" subtitle to differentiate it from the spinoff films.

A rather unnecessary release, although digital copies of film content is all the rage these days. If you want to watch a film like SW on a cell phone screen, so be it. I'll stick with my Blu-Rays and nice home setup.

Alienware likes this.
  11. SithHorseman

SithHorseman Jedi Master star 1

Feb 22, 2002
    Then I shall be keeping my money.

TX-20 likes this.
  12. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

To show the PTB the high demand for the original films and to try and get an answer. Unless you work for Lucasfilm, your guess is as good as mine.

SithHorseman likes this.
  13. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I'm pretty sure it's the blu-ray cut of the films. I just watched the ANH trailer for the online digital release, and I'm pretty sure it had special effects changes to the Death Star sequence from the blu ray. Of course, they could've switched back some of the changes and not others, but it seems at least many of the FX changes from the blu ray will remain, so it clearly won't be a pure OOOOOT version of the film.

BTW, I watched the color comparison of the blu ray vs. the despecialized on youtube. I then put in my blu ray in my great big panasonic plasma screen TV and compared it to what I saw on the video. Some of the claims in the youtube video seemed incorrect. The color of the sky had supposedly been changed in the 3PO in the desert scene, but my blu ray matched the "unchanged" (i.e. "fixed") version they showed, not the altered colors. The color in the detention center had supposedly been changed from magenta to purple, but my blu ray matched the "unchanged" (i.e "fixed") version they showed again, though the blaster shots in the detention center had more of a purplish hue, which was noted as another blu ray change. The only scene on my blu ray that didn't match the original was the scene with 3PO and Artoo in the sandcrawler. In my blu ray, the background was noticeably less dark and I could see more of the stuff in the background, whereas in the original film (according to Adawyn) a lot of that detail was lost in darkness. I also think I preferred seeing the extra detail, not that it really mattered in the grand scheme of things to me.

Pensivia likes this.
  14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder how well this will sell.

15. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    1. I do for digital copies, plus I have my Ultraviolet and Disney Movies Anywhere accounts linked to it.
    2. People who prefer to own everything digital now in days, such as my mom and my uncle.
    3. Can't agree more. I like not only owning physical copies of what I own, but there are also a ton of more extras on Blu-rays and Blu-rays tend to come with digital copy codes.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  16. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    To be honest I doubt they'll do any major changes like the Alderaan shooting first or another horrid Young ghost Anakin like change. I do expect minor changes like some clean up of the effects like lightsabers. But I doubt we'll see major changes as it's been long time since they added something that improves anything in the films. Unless adding a gungan in Mos Eisley will truly change the story which I highly doubt.

17. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    There are no changes, it has already been independently confirmed by multiple sites these are the Blu-Ray cuts of the films.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  18. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    Sorry, did't look into that as much as I should have.

19. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

There is so little overhead, its going to make money.

SithLordPat likes this.
  20. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    I'm sure it will, unless I'm mistaken, this will be the first digital release of the saga. With the TFA hype , I'm sure it will sell really well.

21. march162015

march162015 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2015

What's wrong with that?

22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    As I have said many times I adjust the colours to the way I want them. I don't use the standard settings. I adjust the brightness, sharpness, color, black levels, gamma and anything else you can adjust to the way I like it.

On my new 60 inch LED HDTV there are so many settings so that I can make it look pretty much how I want to which is not how the standard settings are.

My own personal preference is for heightened colour (more like old technicolor) so actually all the movies including the prequels are different looking than the actual "standard" setting. My standard setting is higher colour and brightness which is easily achieved but those are my settings. I've seen other people who set their TV's that they might as well be watching it in B&W the colour is so low and the picture so dark.

Also the whole black crush argument is rather false anyway as that isn't what you really are talking about. When the SE's brighten the scene from the originals you would probably like it darker as it was and when they make things darker you want it lighter right?

So it's not really just about the blacks but about what was "original."

darth ladnar likes this.
  23. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It makes no sense

thejeditraitor likes this.
  24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    How come? Y-Wings were around during the Clone Wars and used by the Alliance. So why not use something like an ARC-170? N-1's aren't nearly as powerful, but they'd be sufficient for the time being.

25. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    I believe there needs to be more changes to both the PT and OT, though the original cuts should always be available alongside.

Many of the OT changes would be to rectify/improve on the changes that have already been made. The worst thing about the OT Special Editions is there is no consistency. Like in ESB, the window replacement at Bespin is so half-assed. Also, getting the sabers the RIGHT colour, once and for all... There are many other effects shots that could be re-done.

AOTC should be re-cut entirely, with the ***t dialogue removed and some of the deleted scenes re-inserted.

darklordoftech likes this.