main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Star Wars Digital Release- Even More Changes?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by lovelikewinter, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    No falling into your old argument I'd think.

As I've said for years I prefer the original because the new one just doesn't work and I know just as you that the scene as it was is perfectly clear if one pays proper attention to it as well as the subtitles. This seems not to be the case for enough someones somewhere because SOMETHING made Lucas consider it to be so badly interpreted as to what happened that he felt he had to change it.

That said the current version is the one that works best for the change desired. The 97 and 04 ones were rather terrible. Overall though it's such an inconsequential (although really cool) moment in the movie that I can take either.

We can't know as if it had then it would look different again and we'd never know any different anyway.

That was my point. Kurtz proved himself not able to fully handle what was going on. Who could blame him really? No one had ever done a movie like this before and George who knew more than anyone on how to make it struggled as well. More so when he had to take over various duties from Kurtz.

The work print is from the principle shoot. Not the pick-ups done in the states later. I'm not saying what Lucas says is 100% accurate. Maybe he thought of things, tried things and didn't do them.

RFR today mentioned that there was a panel at a past celebration where they showed unused footage from the Cantina which included shots of Obi-Wan cutting off Ponda Baba's (Walrus Man) head and you then see it on the floor! So any number of shots where done in various ways to play with in the edit.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If the Greedo scene was changed, why was Han shooting at the stormtroopers on the DS and at Vader on Cloud City kept the same? What makes those scenes so different?

Anyway, what changes have been confirmed for this release? And wasn't the 2011 versions declared as the final versions? No more changes? How many people are throwing out the 2011 versions because they don't follow Lucas' vision anymore?

3. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Because pretty much everyone understands that Han is justified shooting the stormtroopers on the DS. Whereas a rather large contingent of fans seem to think Han blew Greedo away because he was an amoral jerk who just didn't give a crap, and even go so far as to say the new version "ruins Han's character development" because of it. Obviously a lot of people misunderstood the original scene, and that common criticism is all the proof you need of that.

I haven't heard about any changes aside from the opening fanfare.

4. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I have a question that will prove how un-tech savvy I am: I downloaded the digital version of ESB last night from iTunes, but I cant figure out how to access the bonus features on my iPad. I was able to do it on my phone for one brief, glorious moment, but haven't been able to repeat that feat again either. Can anyone help me out?

5. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012

Wrong, the argument "You only dislike it because it is different" is as bad an argument as "You only like it because it is new."
    Both try an invalidate an opinion by putting in a box marked "irrelevant". Which is rude and don't make for a good discussion.

Or perhaps Lucas is the one who thinks that Han shooting first would make him a bad guy and since he becomes a good guy in the end of the film, he can't be shown as a bad guy earlier in the film.
    So Han must not shoot first and must only fire in self-defense. So Han must be shown as more of a good guy early on in order for his later development to work.
    Lucas made the choice to censure some laser impacts, maybe this is more of this on Lucas part.

And again, what point is served by having Greedo be such a lousy shot?
    It doesn't add anything to Han and he is only alive because of dumb luck.

And it makes the Jabba dialogue odd when Jabba questions why Han killed Greedo.
    Greedo actually shoot at Han, what was he supposed to do? Just sit there and die?

In fact the Jabba dialogue in the script support Greedo not shooting.

"He wasn't GOING to blast you."
    Kind of hard for that to make sense when Greedo did just that.

Actually I can know that.
    For one, I remember very well what I thought of each OT movie when I saw it and how my opinion changed. I liked ESB the least at the time but I have changed my view on that considerably because things my 11 year old self didn't notice, I can now see and appreciate.
    Second, I have seen original version of films and then revised version where I like the revised version better.
    Ex. Blade Runner. I saw the original version when I was 13, I thought the film was too slow, a bit boring and the voice over was a mixed bag. In some instances I thought it didn't work at all.
    Then years later I saw the directors cut and I found that to be better.
    I prefer the extended version of Aliens, The Abyss, Kingdom of Heaven and some of the LotR and Hobbit films.
    And all of them I saw after the original.

It isn't just Kurtz, I recall seeing an interview with some of the tech people that worked on ANH and he confirmed Kurtz version, that Greedo was never supposed to shoot.
    Bottomline, the amount evidence that support the version where Greedo never fires at all is greater than Lucas version, which only has himself as evidence.

It might be that Lucas now thinks that Greedo was supposed to fire first and he has convinced himself that is what he always thought. That can happen, a person can have an opinion and think he/she always had this opinion even when they did not.

So Lucas might simply confusing his current ideas with what he thought at the time.

[/QUOTE]

But again, Lucas claims that Greedo shooting first was the ORIGINAL idea. That they did film but couldn't quite get to work. The one that wound up in the films was a later compromise.
    So again the work print doesn't support what Lucas says.

If people like the new version then that is a valid opinion. But those that prefer the original version should not have their opinion questioned or dismissed as irrelevant or "Oh you only dislike the change because it is not how it used to be."
    That attitude is dismissive and quite frankly rude.

Bye.
    Old Stoneface

6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    What's different about the fanfare?

7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013

Darkslayer and thejeditraitor like this.
  8. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I haven't seen them yet but for the people who have, how many changes are there if any?

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    None. The films are the 2011 Blu-Ray versions. The only real change is the removal of the Fox logo and fanfare, which was replaced with the logo posted by Seagoat.

Seagoat and thejeditraitor like this.
  10. Cedric T Sealion

Cedric T Sealion Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    Regarding the bit in Attack of the Clones where Dooku makes his escape from the duel with Yoda, is this the same as on the blu ray, or have they reverted back to the version on the DVD?

11. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    The changes that Lucas made to his own film (singular) are already looked down upon by the film community.

As for The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, neither of those are or ever were Lucas's films. They were directed by Irvin Kershner and Richard Marquand, respectively.

No offense, but most people don't care. :)

12. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014