main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars DVD on a Blu-ray/HD player

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by harrison13, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harrison13

harrison13 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2004
    I was not sure if this belonged anywhere else because it really is not about and upcoming release. I have watched all six Star Wars films on my new Blu-ray player and let me say, they look amazing. ROTS especially stood out because it looked like it was a Blu-ray disk. Of the original trilogy ROTJ was the only one that did not look good to me. ANH looked better than I have ever seen before. Has anyone else been able to see you Star Wars DVD's on a HD/ Blu-ray player.

2. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Since the films have not been released on Blu-ray/HD-DVD, you probably didn't see them on either of those formats. They have been broadcast in HD on HD cable channels, so I'm guessing that is what you are actually referencing.

3. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I think he's talking about upscaling his DVD's.

I don't have an HD-DVD or Blueray, but I think the DVD's are being upscaled to 720p on my X-box.

Compared to other DVD's, in which every little flaw stands out more when shown on an HD TV, the Star Wars discs hold up much better.

For me personally, there isn't enough about either HD format to make me want to re-buy all my movies.

I'm still plenty happy with my DVD's. Of course I come from an era where VHS was decent enough, and Laserdisc was as good as it got.

4. zombie

Aug 4, 1999
    Oh, I see now, guess I mis-read it. Yup, DVD's look pretty nice upscaled--until you see an actual HD version of the same image, then you realise it just looks like an upscaled DVD :p .

5. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    YES![face_dancing] i have watched all the star wars movies on my ps3 and the blu-ray up scaler the ps3 uses makes all movies look AMAZING! and i cant wait until they release the star wars saga on blu-ray.it will be unbelievable!

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Pfft, nope. I'm gonna be all-digital for everything by the end of the year..no more discs. Ever.

7. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007

you must must have a LOT lot of bandwidth and a hell of a good computer for that then.how much did you pay for your video card and how big is your hdd? it has to be A LOT for that kind of a move.i still prefer my big screen HD TV though.[face_coffee]

8. zombie

Aug 4, 1999
    Until his hard drive crashes and his entire collection is wiped out in swift stroke.

9. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    thats why i stick to my blu-ray discs on my tv and dont bother with downloads.we are not going to be ready for hi-def downloads for at least another 10 years.

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, right now I'm out of the country, so I won't be starting on this right away; but my vid card (right now; it's getting upgraded when I get back) is a 256-mb 8600. And I'm going for a 1-TB external HDD for the time being. I'll get more storage space as I need it.

11. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    ZOMG, I take it you haven't heard of backup files?
    They're this new thing going around. You might wanna check it out. :p[end sarcasm]

My main reason for this is that my job has me out of the country for a year out of every two and I'm simply sick of 1) paying for DVDs and 2) taking care of them. They're vastly better technology than VHS tapes, but in the durability department, not so much.

And 1 large external HDD is a heck of a lot easier to pack than the number of DVDs I currently own.

12. zombie

Aug 4, 1999
    To me, the HDD thing seems kind of self-defeating because DVD's are quite large. If you have 300 disks in your collection, all dual-layered, thats 2700 GB of storage, or nearly 3 TB, which then becomes 6 TB when backed up. Since hard-drives only have a lifespan of 2-5 years, you could be looking at backing up 6 TB every other year, plus the enormous amount of time it would take simply to rip that much data from a disk, plus the inconvenience of having your movie library tied to a computer hard-drive and not a more easily-transferable medium like DVD (it would require its own dedicated CPU as a controller whenever it is to be hooked up to a home theater of any kind). Plus, electricity to keep the four or five (maybe more) hard-drives spinning. And because there is so much data, its likely that random errors will crop up without you noticing because who checks 6 TB of data regularly?

Just seems like theres not much ebenfit when you consider all the energy and work involved. HDD's are fine as disk-back-ups, but they are not nearly as permanent as people believe or wish.

13. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007

i agree, i have only a few gigs of movies and tv shows on my HDD and that alone can be hard to keep up with.no matter what there are bound to be problems with taking on something like that.plus who doesn't like to take there movies over there friends and family's houses,its just easier withs dvds and/or blu-rays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.