main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mass Star Wars DVDs have (imho) the best production diaries.

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by JediFonger, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediFonger

JediFonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 1999
    i just finished going through the bonus material of ep3 DVD and i definitely have to say that the Lucasfilm DVDs have the BEST documentaries ever!

one thing about bonus material is that most of it is marketing fluff and something one many not to watch over and over again.

given lucas's documentary background, it's no surprise that all of the films he's been involved in has some sort of documentation and that it is so much better than marketing fluff out there.

ep1's "in the beginning" documentary was awesome. i've seen it at least 50 times. there's something riveting about "being there". no interviews, no voiceovers. just BE THERE. it's still the documentary to beat.

all of the web documentaries so far are so expertly edited to focus on ONE topic. it's awesome =).

in comparison, i got the 10disc Matrix Ultimate Edition with 6 DVDs worth of bonus material and only one of them (disc8) worth watching. the rest are all stuff that people can forget about. same with Lord of the Rings EE. i got all 3 of those but i haven't had any desire to watch it again and again. the style is that there isn't one. it's just not as aesthetically pleasing as the lucasfilm documentaries. yes even the king kong production diaries (i seen 'em all online). as good as they, the PDs just don't have staying power.

whaddya think? any other DVDs you've seen where you love the bonus enough to watch it over&over again?

2. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    It's not a movie DVD, but the bonus material on the Patriots SB XXXVI DVD is fantastic. The best is the U2 Half-time performance of "Where the Streets Have no Name" in front of a giant backdrop covered with the names of the 9/11 vicitms. Still makes the hair stand up on my arms to this day.

The Toy Story/Toy Story 2 boxed set that came out a few years back has some great stuff as well. Deleted scenes, easter eggs, story boards. Not sure if it would hold up to multiple viewings, but it was definitely cool to see.

3. JediFonger

Sep 10, 1999
    i think both toy stories came out YET again in another all new SE. i got both with DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 =). very kewl.

4. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I haven't seen it yet, but the bonus disk in the Red Sox 2004 World Series Collector's Edition has stuff like the official World Series film, the White House visit by the Red Sox, and, of course, the ring ceremony on Opening Day @ Fenway this year.

5. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Yeah, the Toy Story movies have been released again on DVD, but not as a boxed set. Not sure what the bonus materials are and if they're any different than the stuff in the boxed set.

6. JediFonger

Sep 10, 1999
    finished the 1st toy story. i think it's got nearly everything from the box set, the only difference is a 10th anniversary reflection. you can see how childish the filmmakers still ARE! especially john lasseter.

the other difference is the a/v quality is super duper amazing, especially the DTS track. although the DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 flag isn't on, i think it pretty much is. Toy Story2 looks good as well and they also have a retrospective on it.

i only went through the first movie's bonus. will do 2nd movie's bonus when time allows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.