main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Emerging from Shadows (Replies and Interlude 7/26)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Cushing's Admirer, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Disclaimer: Star Wars belongs to Disney.

Star Wars: Emerging from Shadows

Cushing's Admirer

Saga AU that includes some of my EU faves

Note: Herein there will be an interspecies marriage with resultant cubs between a Male Chiss and a Female Bothan

Herein, interspecies marriages and hybrid cubs will be common as Cushy considers it an important avenue of expressing personal merit of individuals regardless of ancestry. I am not of the view that the Empire is speciest and I write accordingly. :)

Characters:

Governor Wilhuff Tarkin 'Grey Stag' Peter Cushing
    Demothi Dooku 'Tiger King' Christopher Lee
    Hannah Tarkin: Wilhuff's wife 'Innocent Rose' OC
    Leilani Tarkin: Wilhuff's granddaughter 'Playful Acklay' OC
    Firmus Piett 'Loyal Comrade' Kenneth Colley
    Tian Jerjerrod: Michael Pennington
    Agile Wolf Stormtrooper OC
    Keen Mynock Female Stormtrooper OC
    Courageous Elk—lad OC
    Gilad
    Thimen Kolor'tharas—Chiss Christopher Plummer OC
    Toru Fireheart—Kaladroni Jeremy Irons OC
    Vomkor—Female Bothan: Thimen's wife OC
    Shiveki Chiss/Bothan hybrid Thimen and Vomkor's eldest son OC
    Gleeful One Nomilar Jeremy Brett OC

Rating: PG-13 (serious themes)

Introduction:

Hello there. I'm Cushy. :)

This is my Dooku and Tarkin-centric tale in which I will explore many different issues. Particularly that everyone involved in a conflict are still people and possess feelings. If I can complete this in-depth piece I hope to intrigue a few of you.

I am one that writes from my heart chiefly so I will not be beholden to the EU, TCW or even wholly to how many view the film presentations of the film characters.

Dedication: Foremost, this work is intended to honour the memory of a precious and unique soul, Peter Cushing OBE. Secondarily, it is to honour what he has taught me in my 7 + years of study in conjunction with the deep and complex bond he shared with Christopher Lee from 1956-1994.

Finally, it is to honour those that have encouraged and listened to a yearning distraught Cushy no matter the hour or emotion expressed. Thank you. [:D]@};-

To Sir with Love: Though you gained your most worthy rest 5 days before this lass reached her 12th Name Day, you shan't be forgotten, Sweetheart. [face_love]

2. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013

=D=

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Beautifully heartfelt intro. :) "Watching" this thread, Cushy. [:D]

4. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Part I: Idealism

I: Meeting the Gravel Kit

A space schooner's chauffeur. That's what I look like in this drab olive-grey green cotton uniform. Someone at Imperial Command is having a jolly joke right beneath the Sand Cobra's snout. That is worthy even if the outfit is as uninspired as the Emperor's grasp upon the galaxy is constricting. No matter. Duty. She is paramount.

Shortly after putting on knee-length nerf-hide boots, a slight smile pulls at Wilhuff's thin lips as he feels elegant yet sure fingers smooth and fasten his belt before gently trailing along his shoulders and upper back.

Stepping before him, Hannah's rich forest green eyes gaze directly into her husband's deep-set luminescent blue ones. 'Return to me, Gallant Sir. The galaxy needs men of your calibre if we are ever to halt the tumultuous nonsense the Rebels insist on perpetuating.'

Bowing his head as his long fingers grasp Hannah's pale beige hand, Wilhuff kisses it. 'Always, Lady.'

Straightening, the lean and narrow-framed man squares his shoulders and schools his aquiline features. 'I implore you, consider my request, Luv. You know I detest asserting my command.'

You look gorgeous in that black silk gown, my Rose. Wilhuff acknowledges in soundless awe of his wife's magnificence.

Hannah dips her head in submission. 'I shall, Darling. Now, off with you. Show that Gravel Kit a thing or three!'
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bolstered by Hannah's understanding encouragement, Tarkin's stride is confident as he traverses the long corridors, hatchways, and access points of the monochrome armoured battle station. Periodically hearing the measured gaits of passing personnel upon the deck plating, he offers slight nods or brief salutes to them.

Arriving at a sparsely furnished but well-kept conference chamber, Wilhuff strives to quash the trickle of anxiety that hisses insistently in the back of his mind: The Princess of Alderaan has been poisoned against the Galactic Empire. She won't heed reason. Nonetheless, I shall do my utmost to reach her. He determines just as he beholds the looming form of Vader sweeping inside the room directly beside the incredibly petite Princess who is attired in simple ambassadorial whites with her dark chestnut tresses woven into intricate buns.

'Governor Tarkin. I recognised your foul stench as soon as I was brought on board.'

Bemusement intermixed with long suffering imprints itself upon uniquely prominent and sunken facial features as Wilhuff answers a touch wearily: 'Charming to the last.' Pausing a long moment, Tarkin scrutinises those with him then the shackles that bind Leia's hands.

With a decisive hand gesture, Tarkin dismisses all present save Vader and the Princess. Once the others fade into the bowels of the station, Wilhuff strides before the Royal Alderaanian. 'You and I both know it isn't birthright that determines a sapient's place in the galaxy, Princess.' Raising an admonishing finger for emphasis, he continues in his cultured tenor: 'Character determines one's course in life, not ancestry or brute force.'

Fluidly kneeling at her feet, Tarkin reaches for and delicately traces Leia's fingers and the binders at her wrists as he stares beseechingly up into her perplexed briste-shaded eyes as she flinches away asking shakily: 'What a-a-are you doing?!'
    Smiling sadly at the lass' genuine discomfiture, Tarkin answers simply: 'The Grey Stag seeks to broker peace with the Glorious Gravel Kit so mindless destruction may cease.'

With deft and swift movements of his dexterous fingers, the binders fall to the deck at Leia's feet.

Anedon, Sith-I-5, metophlus and 6 others like this.
  5. Malcolm Reynolds

Sep 2, 2013
    beautiful cub i can picture sir as tarkin doing this :D

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  6. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Now that's different! Wonder what kind of deal Tarkin plans to make. He still seems to be bound to the Empire, which carries a lot of baggage (Sidious is some serious baggage! :p) But there also seems to be a little mini-alliance of some sort in play, judging from the elaborate system of names that hints at some kind of... group? Dooku's involvement in the other tale you posted makes me think that he's got his own role in this somehow. :) Very intriguing. It's actually not how I ever would have interpreted the movie-Tarkin but it makes for a unique AU. I'm curious to see how Tarkin ended up here and what his motives are, as well as about his family (this particular Lady Tarkin seems less hostile than her EU counterpart and I'm curious as to her history.)

7. NightWatcher91

NightWatcher91 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2014
    Already hooked with Tarkin being in play. Got to think this man has so many ideas and plans you never know what he will play. Keep me updated on this please.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    @Nyota's Heart Thanks, girl. [:D] @ Malcolm Reynolds Mentor! Thank you. I'm so glad you understand my intent. [:D]@};- @Kahara Thanks. Cushy appreciates detailed feedback. :) I don't know the Tarkins history that well but enough to know I don't think it suits Sir's take on Wilhuff at all. Thus, I will happily ignore it. I will instead focus on striving to showcase Sir's traits through Wilhuff and that is due to my genuine belief he was a Becomer. Glad to see Hannah has your interest as well. The system of names you noted is actually to reflect Peter's inclination to endearments. I believe intimacy and connection was vital to him. :) @NightWatcher91
    So certain are you, schemer Tarkin is? :p

Coming Soon: Chapter II: Facing the Cobra

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Loved Wilhuff with Hannah. And with Leia... the insertion of the classic ANH lines with a new spin and a plea for ... reasonableness and cooperation instead of squelching Leia's spirit under ruthlessness and cruel demands. @};- Am fascinated and intrigued about how the literal fate of Alderaan will play out. [face_thinking]

10. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Yes, yes, yeeeeeeeeeees!!!! =D= [face_party]=D= Thread watched, I'll read this tonight, and I'm a very happy chyntuck [face_dancing] Thanks Cushy!

11. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Looks like I will have to be stifling laughter since I think this promises to have some highly amusing parts.

NightWatcher91 likes this.
  12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    So glad you enjoyed the couple. :) You're welcome, though, I never read Sir near as harsh as it seems nearly all here do. Wilhuff was frightened and frustrated at the situation and Leia wasn't exactly being helpful...indeed. :D

Nice sig. ;)

Aww, thanks for the support, Chyn. [:D] You really have been a balm to my broken heart. Cushy very glad you're here. :)

Thank you, Poet. Always an honour to intrigue and present unique aspects for consideration. I will be doing a fair bit of internalising of Wilhuff's thoughts, as Sir is a very circumspect and quiet soul. :)

13. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I had not even started reading and I was pretty sure of what was hinted in the interviews thread - you're about one year older than me. If I counted this well, your birthday is August 16th, '82. ;)

Now, onto the story itself - it seems promising and I love it how it's taking the exact same shape as the play I saw today - no chronological storytelling, whatsoever. Given how many other aspects of the story are different from what most of us are used to read, that makes it even more unique. This will be a challenge, in a good way. And the language used is superb, too.

Love the monologue at the beginning.

14. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    II: Facing the Cobra

Leia gapes in astonishment at the man at her feet. 'You cannot possibly believe I am that gullible simply on account of my youth! I have witnessed the vileness of the Empire. It has no room for decency or consideration of harmony. It crushes what doesn't meekly cede to its might.'

While the Princess' tirade is spewing forth, Tarkin shifts his regard from the spirited maiden to the imposing figure at her side, keen and silent.

Once certain that the Princess' heated words have found sufficient pause, Tarkin stands erect again.

Gazing at Leia with a most singular concoction of sorrow and bemusement, he asks: 'Do you feel better now that you have hissed and growled most bravely, Gravel Kit?'

Dumbfounded that Lord Vader remains silent in this peculiar exchange, Leia's brow furrows with perplexity and her dark eyes swirl with doubt and wariness.

'It's a ploy. This monstrosity we're aboard doesn't exist for nothing. It's an instrument of terror and dread!'

Expressive features grow hawkish and brilliant blue eyes narrow as Tarkin retorts sharply: 'Dear Maiden, you and your ilk do not possess monopoly on such feelings. Any that don an Imperial uniform or are involved with an officer of the Empire does as well. As much as you whom rebel deny it, Fashioner of Stars granted all sapients emotions. Even those you foolishly call adversary.'

You're religious? Tell me another one, Bantha Paw! Leia thinks snidely.

'You haven't endured anything! You still have your wife to greet you when your grisly work is concluded for the day, your clothing is spotless, you keep your hands clean of blood but thousands suffer and die at your command!' Leia rages impotently.

'What you say is true with two exceptions: Hannah and I have indeed suffered personal loss because of this blasted futile war. Namely, our biological son: Rookery. Cut down at a mere twenty-one standard years. And why? Because I am his father! How dare you assume moral superiority. No one is clean in the Galactic Civil War!' Wilhuff declares with an undercurrent of shrillness.

Aware that Tarkin is tremendously distressed, Vader strides forward a step so his ally may sense his presence and recover his wits.

Momentarily, the smart posture wavers, as his eyes glint with profound emotions. Sighing, Wilhuff's fingers absently filter through his ashen-streaked terracotta hair.

'Witness, Lass, believe what your eyes behold. I am not an unfeeling machine. Layered Ally, some others, and I have realised we were misled by a most vile serpent indeed. We are striving to break free of the Emperor's grasp. Your bravado has forced our hand but so be it.'

Hands rummaging within his pockets a few moments, Tarkin first withdraws and dons a pair of white linen gentleman's gloves then he withdraws a cigarette and a golden lighter. Amid the ensuing silence, he drags on it as his jangled nerves gradually settle again.

Impressed that Leia has seen fit to grow quiet and watchful, Wilhuff removes the cigarette from his lips before praising genuinely: 'Very good indeed, Gravel Kit. There may be hope for the galaxy yet.

'If I survive the next few hours, I will convey the depth of my sincerity regarding my desire for peace and succour for all in a way that few have ever seen.'

Striding to a reclaimator recessed within the right side wall of the chamber, an elegant finger flicks the spent stub and the dress gloves down its chute.

Addressing Vader, he instructs: 'Keep careful watch over her, my friend. She does you credit for she is as spirited as you ever were!'

Confused and overwrought by implications she'd rather not entertain, Leia groans low in frustrated anguish. Oddly, as Tarkin departs through the door, she is soothed marginally by the feel of a tentative gloved hand upon her shoulder.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steady on, Old Boy. Wilhuff admonishes himself as he strides past various workrooms, equipment stores, maintenance bays, and vessel hangars. Hold fast to hope and right even though thy nerves jump madly.

Consider rather the chance that all the cublings and younglings, like precious Leilani, may at last taste Harmony's sweetness!

Though he is steadfast in conviction, Wilhuff will be so glad when this wretched day is over. All he wants is to feel Hannah's embrace as his head lays nestled upon her breast. Safe. Home. Stable.

Yet, so many things obstruct this goal from coming to fruition. Chiefly, a confrontation with Emperor Palpatine.

Slinking among the shadows as he nears his destination of the Emperor's opulent suite, Tarkin's tread is light and fleet particularly for one possessing somewhat large feet. Agility and swiftness have served him well since his boyhood.

Perhaps, I'll indulge in a long run or a climb within the most stately boughs and limbs of the trees found within the arboretum before returning to my Lady. Tarkin muses distractedly.

Focus, Fellow, focus! He chides himself as he nearly alerts a passing mouse droid to his presence. Watching the wayward bit of technology scurry away around a bend, Tarkin jogs onwards.

Wilhuff is taken aback when he feels a long absent mind-touch. A resonant bass mind-voice greets: Peace, Dear Friend. The Tiger of Serenno and the Remnants of the CIS go with you. The Sand Cobra's arrogance and ego have made him careless and blind. The Spirits have abandoned him though he is ignorant of this, of course. He rejoices in false power and security. Fashioner of Stars has appointed you to confront him. Endure a bit longer and you shall at last gain respite.

Telepathy isn't a skill many know Wilhuff has innate skill in. Demothi has trained him in it as a gesture of respect for the unaccounted mercy the younger man has accorded him.

I despise this whole business, Darling. I deplore that the galaxy is in such a distorted and twisted state that a planet-killer has even been conceived of! It is seething with anguish, anger, and screams of revenge. Let the madness be halted! Let it end, I say!

Following a poignant and lengthy pause, Wilhuff whispers gratefully: As ever, your counsel steadies me. Spirits walk with you, Demothi.

Taking a bracing breath, Wilhuff offers a final soundless plea as he enters the Cobra's Den.
    What a disagreeable frigidness the air has wherever you make your lair, O Loathsome Serpent! By the time Eriadu's satellites are high within the indigo sky, you shall KNOW thou art fangless! Tarkin declares boldly to himself as he glides within the spacious main parlour.

'You dare invade my inner sanctum without being summoned, you backwater cur?' Palpatine hisses dangerously from his place within a finely-crafted ornate chair, his form swathed in cowl and robes save his poisonous eyes of amber and flame which are capable of scalding lesser men.

Steady and resolute, Wilhuff approaches the shorter man. Inclining his head, he murmurs pointedly: 'Indeed so, Charlatan that plays at Emperor--'

Palpatine viciously backhands Tarkin via manipulation of the Force causing tears to leak from his eyes. Blood oozes from his nose as his neck vertebrae crackle dangerously. He is carelessly flung across the expansive chamber so that various artefacts dig into and abrade his pebbly tan flesh and scuff and tear his modest uniform.

Pinning Tarkin to the wall via the Force, Palpatine grins malevolently as he cuts off the other's oxygen; paralysing his limbs. Relishing the scent of terror and helplessness that rolls off his victim.

'Cry to your God and His Spirits now, Weakling.' Palpatine goads. 'You are helpless.'

Wilhuff's slight chest can barely move due to the suffocating pressure upon it. His heart pounds a wild tempo against his ribs and blood thunders within his ears.

In a hoarse cry, ragged with anguish, Tarkin pleads: 'Fashioner of Stars, silence this Defiler that contaminates Thy works!'

Moments later, the pressure eases and Wilhuff crumples in a heap upon the floor, his body caught within a fit of spasmodic coughing.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Fascinating. =D= I love the classic British-type feel to the dialogue. :cool:

I am continually amazed at the whole new world-view you're bringing to my ideas of the OT. @};-

16. Malcolm Reynolds

Sep 2, 2013
    well done I can really see sir as tarkin=D=^:)^

17. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    A wonderful beginning to what promises to be a fascinating story! I enjoyed Leia's snappy tone and I could almost hear Christopher Lee's voice. But Tarkin... Oh, Tarkin, putting on his white gloves to smoke a cigarette. So. Very. British. Sir.

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I've been imagining Sir peter as Sherlock Holmes :cool: ... being a rabid Holmes fan, that just lends a whole new touch of umphy. LOL

19. NightWatcher91

NightWatcher91 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2014
    As much as I dislike Tarkin I find myself greatly enjoying the one you bring to life sir.

20. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thanks. :) I love how Peter talks and I strive to fuse how Tarkin speaks with how Sir speaks so it feels natural.

That means the world to me. [:D]

Thank you, Mentor. [:D]

Thank you, Chyn. [:D] :eek: High praise indeed. I try hard to only write dialogue that I 'hear' in my mind for the character. Glad you liked that touch. Sir really is known for smoking with gloves. Sometimes Cushy is so :eek::eek: you were a 20th century man? I think he has the spirit of 1870 or something. Such a wonderful teacher.

:eek: Holmes! Interesting. Glad you like it. :)

You honour me, NightWatcher. I'm glad. :)

Notes: Cushy currently is conflicted regarding what to write as Ch III. I have three ideas. Perhaps I will present all of them. Cushy is known for variable lengths but does tend to be wordy.

Cushy has notoriously poor sight that is one of the reasons I edit my work continually. Cushy loves words but a great speller she isn't. :p

21. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Leia is right to be shocked since she has never put much thought to those that serve in the Empire.

I am hearing Shakespeare in my mind which is interesting since I haven't read a lot of Shakespeare and only have watched an older version of A Mid Summer's Night Dream and listened to Patrick Steward quote it in Star Trek TNG. Very proper though.

Step carefully evenyone.

Kahara likes this.
  22. Malcolm Reynolds

Sep 2, 2013
    i know the next chapter will be great!!

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  23. Rani

Rani Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2014
    Wow I really enjoyed reading this Cushy! I will definitely be watching this thread! :-D

24. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I disagree. This is one of the greatest pitfalls 'adversaries' employ against each other to justify war: dehumanisation. It's not right.

Thank you. Cushy enjoys exploring vocabulary and language. :)

Indeed. Though Cushy won't deal with much 'action' the path to sense won't be an easy one.

Thank you, Rani! Always nice to see a fellow Sir fan. :D

Note: Chapter III will be called Cognizance but it may be awhile till it's up. Cushy's muse is insisting I focus on building up to my high point.

Note II: I am going to use English Naval ranks in the Empire and American Air Force ones for the Rebels.

Note III: Though Cushy will be using the stated ranking systems, I will not be following military structure otherwise as it doesn't speak to me. It's not meant as a slight at all. Cushy's mind is just not inclined to such things.

Is highly likely Cushy will change Tarkin's attire as move forward. Love me some green but it's not Sir's colour! [face_laugh]:p

25. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    The style of both the dialogue and the narration feels very old to me -- you mentioned worrying about your dialogue, but I think it fits with the overall feel of things here. Reminds me very much of a long novel from the 1700's/1800's that I used to read and re-read a lot. I am curious to find out how Tarkin gets out of his current fix. Palpatine is beyond his strength, but perhaps his Layered Ally will help, or some other event will intervene.