main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars - Empire at War (Official Thread)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Kurtmajister, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kurtmajister

Kurtmajister Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2004
    For all those who eagerly wait for any sign of what could be Galactic Battlegrounds 2 or a similar RTS game, look no further than of the last paragraph of this link HERE:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/va/20041109/110007058900.html

It's also mentioned on the site linked below that a TOP SECRET project is being worked on at the moment...

http://www.petroglyphgames.com/

Finally, it is coming!!!

2. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    What am I looking for in that article? Didn't see anything that mentioned a RTS.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

3. Kurtmajister

Jun 10, 2004
    Look down to the bottom dude, last paragraph you'll find it!

4. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Definitely good news. I liked Galactic Battlegrounds (never got a chance to play Force Commander), but there was so much potential in it that went untapped. Games like Total Annihilation would have made a far superior codebase for a Star Wars game, if properly modified. Hopefully this one will live up to expectations, and won't just act as little more than an advertisement for Episode III as so many games have previously.

5. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    >>> I think there's a bright future there for games based on these new properties as well as original "Star Wars" games like a new real-time strategy PC game that Petroglyph is developing for next year. This game will take the (real-time strategy) genre in a new direction and will balance gameplay between the hard-core gamers who buy these games and the broader audience that's familiar with the "Star Wars" brand.<<<

Should have done this in the first place. :p Hehe, looks like they are dumbing it down for the casual gamer.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

6. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    This is actually really good news. Petroglyph is made up of a lot of old Westwood Studios staff. Seeing as how they were the ones that revolutionized RTS games as we know them (namely in Dune 2 and C&C) I have high hopes for the quality of game that this will be.

7. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Bad news: I think most RTS Star Wars games blow.
    Good news: The guys developing this game rock.

This could turn out great. Star Wars lends itself to the RTS genre so well, and vice versa. You just need the right guys to pull it off.

This is a good thing, but my greedy self can't help thinking I'd rather see a new game in the X-Wing series.

8. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    /\/\

I tend to agree on both the RTS comment and on the X-Wing comment.

RTS games haven't been that fun, IMO, since Red Alert/StarCraft.

X-Wing games all were pretty fun.

9. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    Here's hoping. Force Commander was crap (JP still owes me a game), and that AoE2 mod lost its novelty about 3/4 of the way through the install process. Episode III will give LA a bevy of new units to play with (and do they ever love playing with new units). If it's good, it'll be great.

10. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    When I see the words "Westwood Studios", Tiberian Sun immediately springs to mind. That's probably unfair, since they were responsible for making the RTS genre what it is today, but they haven't advanced the genre radically since then. I'm expecting a good game, but not a breakthrough game - I can't see LucasArts going for untested material when they could use an established (but tired) style for their game.

11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    What's this, class reunion day?

Bib, I'll play you when I get broadband. Playing FoCom over 56kb across the planet ain't my idea of fun.

12. ConcordDawn

ConcordDawn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I cannot believe how awesome this is. I spent about three years of my life playing Galactic Battlegrounds and Clone Campaigns, and back then, they were by far my favorite games of all time. The only limitations were the very simple (and buggy) scenario creation system and the 2D graphics.

Can't wait for more news on this...

13. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    What's this, class reunion day?

What, didn't you get an invitation?

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I'm here, aren't I?

I'm just wondering if Justin got one.

15. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I'll bet a trillion Monopoly dollars you'll get to play the same battles from the SW movies as players have done for decades. Wow! And the same SW movie music they think we never tire of hearing.

:(

Thank goodness KOTOR was entirely original down to the music. I don't think there was more than three movie tracks/tunes out of the dozens in the game . . .

16. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    When I see the words "Westwood Studios", Tiberian Sun immediately springs to mind. That's probably unfair, since they were responsible for making the RTS genre what it is today, but they haven't advanced the genre radically since then. I'm expecting a good game, but not a breakthrough game - I can't see LucasArts going for untested material when they could use an established (but tired) style for their game.

You should remember that the Westwood Studios that made Tiberian Sun was the Westwood Studios that had been bought by EA. EA was calling the shots for Westwood at that time, not the traditional Westwood staff that had made Red Alert, the original C&C, and Dune 2. I personally consider Westwood to be broken up into two categories, pre-EA and post-EA. Pre-EA Westwood was the innovative Westwood that revolutionized RTS games. Post-EA Westwood was an EA cash cow that didn't innovate anything and just churned out sequels over and over and over again. Westood no longer exists because EA broke it up and pretty much phased it out. EA = teh suck because they pretty much ruined Westwood Studios.

However I have high hopes for this new game because the company making it is made up of a large portion of the original Westwood staff. These are the guys that know how to make a good game. With EA out of the picture, they can be as innovative as they want. I think they are going to do some great things in the near future.

17. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    ...class reunion?

Yeah, I like a lot of things about FoComm better than GBG tbh. Thing is, GBG focuses so much on giving you a zillion different units that do essentially the same thing anyway, and not nearly enough on actual execution.

But I hear FoComm is terrible to play MP, and GBG is better than most games for that, so there's always that.

There's a lto that could be improved on GBG if they really do make a sequel.

18. Kurtmajister

Jun 10, 2004
    Personally I'm excited about it, it should be interesting to see what it turns out to be considering that it's from the makers of CnC!

I wonderwhy they didnt stay on with Ensemble and use the Age of Mythology engine?

19. Master-Katarn

Master-Katarn Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2004
    hmm anyone actualy got any images on this?

and i have to admit i heard about this and thought "oh dear, another Star Wars RTS with the same levels, units, story etc....." infact i was kinda thinking SW BattleFront but RTS....not that SWBF was a bad game infact i enjoy it but unless they add EU material all SW games will be covering old ground.

20. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    Galactic Battlegrounds might've been a fun game if I hadn't played AOK, you know, the same game, to death for three years prior.

As for FoCom, I think it's underrated. Sure, it had a steep learning curve and the camera was a bit irritating, but when you managed to cut through the interface troubles there was solid strategy gaming to be found.

Our team has had major roles in
    creating the following titles:
    [...] Dune 2: The Building of a Dynasty (1992) [...] Command & Conquer (1995) [...] Sid Meier's Pirates!

It is as if Jesus Christ himself gathered this group of programmers and coders to create the upcoming SW RTS.

21. PrelateZeratual

PrelateZeratual Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2003
    Must....build......SHRINE!!!

22. Visceral1024

Visceral1024 Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2004
    Heh. I love this quote on the scanned PCZONE cover:

"New Unreal Tournament Coming? Massive Scoop Inside"

Must be an interview with Captain Obvious. Anyway, I'm glad a new RTS is coming. Galactic Battlegrounds was awful. This one should be much superior, what with it being developed from scratch instead of just being an overpriced mod of another game.

23. Jfstarwars_reborn

Jfstarwars_reborn Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2004
  24. MonaToral

MonaToral Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2004
    >>"HI"<<

Wow, great post man.

25. Mandicore

Mandicore Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2004
    Personaly I would have loved for them to use the AOM engen but it is alredy being used for fantastic effects in AOE 3
    Unfortunaty I cannot show you the screenshots because they are only in a magasine (but there is few pre alpha screenshots online but they arnt meant to be there :p)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.