main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars - Empire at War (Official Thread)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Kurtmajister, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyson

Tyson Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 8, 2005
    Can someone update me on this game. I bought it in April and didn't get to play it much due to school. Anyways, school is over so I'll be reinstalling it soon so are there any updates, new units, whatever? And I heard they are already making an expansion pack or something...

2. ShadowStoneKat

ShadowStoneKat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2004
    There are unused models that can be used for "new" units. As well, modders can skin models to make them new ones. But as of yet, there is no way to insert new models... so original NEW units won't be seen until the mod tools come out. Good number of mods at the Petroglyph Fan Forums can help you do this: http://pff.swrebellion.com
    The 1.04 patch includes a map editor, so now people can create new maps.

And the Forces of Corruption expansion has been announced. It will include classic Star Wars units and others such as the Eclipse.

3. ppal

ppal Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 1999
    Has anybody here destroyed the death star in this game????? If so what do ya need to do it??????

4. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Have Red squadron present when the DS arrives and keep them alive during the fleet battle.

5. ARC170pilot

ARC170pilot Jedi Master star 5

Sep 23, 2005
    I just found a 'glitch'. When I was playing as the Empire on a planet controlled by Pirates, the fog of war had disapeared and there was only one group or pirate soldiers left. I used Palpatine to convert the pirates, then I sent them to distroy the last pirate turret. The turret killed them and I used Palpatine to distroy the remaining turrets. When all the pirates on the map had been distroyed, the game just carried on. I know this isnt a glitch, but it is a problem. If anyone gets in this situation, just surrender the battle and move your ground troops from space back onto the planet and it will be yours.

6. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    I'm considering buying this game because I enjoy playing strategic level games but I dislike RTS games, especially ones that you can't pause.

I have some questions, if someone can help me, I would appreciate it:

Is it true that you can't pause the game while you look around the map?

Are there only 40 planets on the campaign level? If so, is there any way you can add more planets?

Is this the only strategic level SW game available?

Any help would be great. Thank you.

7. liambauckham

liambauckham Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    i found this game a little disappointing from the single player's perspective there wasnt much of a campagne

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I had the same problem with the Palpy-on-Bothawui mission; I had saved just prior so I reloaded and it worked.

E_S

9. ARC170pilot

Sep 23, 2005
    Your lucky, I had to re-concour 4 planets.

I keep having trouble with this anoying glitch. The screen moves all the way to one side of the map and you cant look at anything else. Its very inconvinient in the middle of a war! [face_plain]

10. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    bump.

Guys, can anyone help me with my questions? Thank you.

11. ARC170pilot

Sep 23, 2005
    Is it true that you can't pause the game while you look around the map?

No, you can pause the game whilst looking around the map.

Are there only 40 planets on the campaign level? If so, is there any way you can add more planets?

No, there are more planets than that, but the amount of planets on the map can be changed depending on which level you are on.

As far as I know, yes.

12. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    Thank you very much for that info.

If you have a moment, could you answer one more question?

How many planets can you have in the campaign level? Is there a limit?

13. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Does anyone else have trouble signing up to the multiplayer internet games? For some reason it won't let me.

14. ARC170pilot

Sep 23, 2005
    From memory, theres about 40 planets and I think they're all in campaign level, there might be more though. I havent played campaign in a while

15. Vader_Sanders

Vader_Sanders Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 2003
    I had the same trouble on the Bothawui mission, it kept freezing during the movie clip when you beat the level

As far as I remember, the number of planets depends on the campaign that you choose

Is anybody in that SOA clan?

I used to be in it but quit, i was jw if there was anybody else from there on this

16. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Anyone still playing EaW? Me, I'm still hooked.

Petro is looking for constructive suggestions for future patches/changes.
    http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=168137

I recommend that, if you like EaW, you go check it out and submit some suggestions for this great game.

17. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001

As far as I know, yes.

Galactic Battlegrounds, based on the Age of Empires 2 game engine.

Rebellion (find it used on ebay) is more of a pure strategy game, though I never played it so I can't say for sure.

Force Commander, an RTS from about 6 years ago.

18. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    I enjoyed Rebellion quite a bit. In fact I still own it and were it not for my addiction to EaW, I'd probably still play Rebellion every now and then.

I never much cared for Galactic Battlegrounds or Force Commander. Niether of them ever seemed like a very well made or innovative game, IMO.

19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    ForCom was great, but it required patience.

Rebellion is still, IMO, the best Star Wars game on the market. It narrowly beats out Jedi Knight and X-Wing Alliance in my books, but it still wins. Love it. Absolutely love it.

I had a recent game of EaW Vez. It's got replayability.

I just love that I've taken entire planets with 3 squads of infiltrators. You just throw thermal detonators at AT-ATs, run away and heal at a buildpad, and repeat.

E_S

20. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    Yeah, Rebellion is a gem of a Star Wars game. IMO EaW would have been the ultimate SW RTS game if they would have incorporated all of the good elements of Rebellion (like diplomacy, hero recruitment, orbital bombardment, espionage, etc) and combined it with the great tactical RTS battles (space battles/land battles). It sounds like FoC is more like Rebellion in some ways but it's still lacking in others. Oh well.

As far as EaW's replayability, I'd have to say that MP is where it's at. The AI can always be beaten with silly strategies like using nothing but infiltrators and etc. Try that against a real player and you will get owned. :p

With FoCom, I just never could get into that game. I tried the demo and was pretty turned off by it. I found the interface to be too restrictive, the "economy" portion seemed to be a pretty lame idea (as I recall, wasn't it something like you have to destroy enemy units to get more money or something like that? Seemed pretty dumb to me), and I heard the MP was atrocious. I'm glad I never bought it. :)

21. jedi_yarael_poof

jedi_yarael_poof Jedi Youngling

Feb 6, 2004
    Anyone here use the Map Editor? I'm having problems trying to run the program. An exception error pops up saying to 'see _logfile.txt and _except.txt for details'. When I try to open Terrain Editor it says it couldn't find 'binkw32.dll'. Suggestions warmly accepted with great appreciation.

22. jedi_yarael_poof

jedi_yarael_poof Jedi Youngling

Feb 6, 2004
    I got it. Scratch my last post. Apparently I had to download the patch to get it to work.

23. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    I just bought the game and it's lots of fun. I'm playing as the rebellion on easy right now. A few missions back, my fleet got decimated when I arrived at an empire planet that had a space station, a few acclamators, several of the small support ships, and lots of ties and tie bombers. Well my fleet put up a good battle, but eventually it was just the falcon left vs a few support ships and ties, the space station which was at about 50%, a fully operational aclamator, and another aclamator hanging on for dear life. Well thanks to the speed of the falcon,and it's nice invincibility special ability, I ended up defeated the rest of the imperial fleet.

I do have a question about the game regarding the video settings. Has anyone tried using the recommended/auto/whatever it's called settings? When I do that, it puts all the settings at the lowest level, and does the resolution as 800x600. This seems odd, as I have a P4 1.6, 1.5g of ram, and a 256mb video card, so I'd think I could handle better, but I always hate adjusting the settings to find a balance of playability and good graphics.

24. DarthAJ

DarthAJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2004
    New 'trailer' type thing at SW.com:

http://www.starwars.com/gaming/videogames/news/tyberzann.html

25. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Kotaku has two other FoC videos, in addition to the SW.com one, including one with the Ewok suicide bombers. [face_devil]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.