main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars - Empire at War (Official Thread)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Kurtmajister, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Real life armies have mining divisions? To get metal to build tanks and guns and stuff?

News to me.

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  3. DarfTater

DarfTater Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2005
    Shouda looked first...

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/starwarsrts/preview_6116584.html?q=1&tag=gs_hp_flashtop_story

Preview, Screenshots, and more. Personally can't wait. Looks awesome. Like FoCom with an attitude and better graphics. Hooah!

Also excited bout the space battles.

4. SaberLover

SaberLover Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2004
    This game looks amazeing..
    A cross Between REbellion and Force Commander...

Rebellion is one of my favorite games of all time, so I will defintly be looking forward to this...
    Yes the interface of Rebellion is clunky, but after you get used to it, it becomes second nature..

The game mechanics and logic of Rebellion are nothing short of awe-inspiring..

I was just playing Rebellion last night with my Brother.. The game is still tons of fun..

Hopefully they can take the core of Rebellion, improve upon it, and put in some elements of GBG and Force Commander, and make an amazine game..
    Hopefully, the Dev's get enough time to do it right!

5. DarfTater

DarfTater Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2005
    Says in the article they've been working on the Engine for 2 years, it's based of the C&C engine, and Battle For Middle-Earth (Woo!)But it's been made completely from scratch.

I've never played Rebellion, I should try and find a copy...

6. pitsburySC

pitsburySC Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2003
    The official website annonce it officialy and a mini-site has been launched : http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swempireatwar/

Nice graphics :) It sounds great after all!

7. oltars

oltars Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2005
    This is lookin good.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It is looking good... I wonder if this'll get a mac port.

9. Master_Palpy

Master_Palpy Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    Whoa! That looks amazing! But I'm afraid I've to buy a new graphic card to play it...poor old GeForce 4...

10. Shackleton

Shackleton Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2004
    A new preview is available at IGN, along with some really cool screenies. It's definitely worth checking out.

11. Lucky_Luke

Lucky_Luke Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2004
    I think FoComm and Rebellion are games of average (I am being very polite here) quality, but of a very high potential. The idea behind Rebellion is great: Who wouldn't like to use a fleet of 20 Star Destroyers led by the Executor to devastate the Sluis Sector? As for FoComm, I actually enjoyed it depite LAs best efforts to ruin the gaming experience. A solid combination of either game with nice graphics and a handy gameplay would make for a great game. But I am very pessimistic...

LL :)

12. Darth_Revan1

Darth_Revan1 Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2005
    I'm kinda disappointed that this game won't have the appearance of the Yuuzhan Vong. Other than controlling fleets of Star Destroyers and armies, it's awesome!!! Definately, gonna be better than Galactic Battlegrounds.

13. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    Other than controlling fleets of Star Destroyers and armies, it's awesome!!!

So you hate the very key tenets of the game.

14. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Darth_Revan1 posted on 2/5/05 12:48pm
    I'm kinda disappointed that this game won't have the appearance of the Yuuzhan Vong.
    [hr][/blockquote]

The NJO was panned so badly by the common fan that they will probably never make a game based on it.

15. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    ^^ What he said. I'd like a game where I could take on the Vong as well, but the NJO concept is soooo EU and so un-Star-Wars-like that the average fan would not -- and did not -- care for it.

I'm not much of a RTS fan. Excessive micromanagement annoys and frustrates me. However, I had a great time recently with Battle for Middle-Earth and this game looks very promising; much more so than Galactic Battlegrounds did. So far, this is my most anticipated game for 2005.

16. Sith_Lords

Sith_Lords Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    I am pretty sure that someone will make a mod to make it in the NJO era.

17. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I look forward to this game. Does anyone know:

(1) What formats the game will be released on.
    (2) When the game will be released?

18. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    (1) What formats the game will be released on.
    (2) When the game will be released?

Formats? well, this is a RTS. And RTS can only properly work and play on a PC. If you mean CD-ROM or DVD, well, recently most PC games are coming out in both formats for those PCs sans-DVD drive.

The tentative release date is fall 2005. I can only hope they stick to it. A delay that could push it back to 2006 would be agonizing. :p

19. dav305z

dav305z Jedi Master star 1

Jan 31, 2005
    Wow, this looks like a synth of Rebellion + Force Commander + Modern graphics and interface. Basically, it sounds like everything anyone has ever dreamed about in a Star Wars game. Now, if only I had a new Windows machine in addtion to the i-book...

20. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    [image=http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swempireatwar/images/screenshots/59.jpg]

[image=http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swempireatwar/images/screenshots/36.jpg]

[image=http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swempireatwar/images/screenshots/35.jpg]

[image=http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swempireatwar/images/screenshots/30.jpg]

Are those Republic Assault Ship's with the Star Destroyers?

*squeal* :D!

21. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
    can anyone post all the pics of ships,rebal and imperial

22. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Acclamators, Dreadnaughts and ISDs in the one game? And I get to control all of them?

I think I just had a nerdgasm.

23. Trooper89

Trooper89 Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2005
    I've waited a looong time for a game like this. I'm a former GBG and FoComm player (played over LAN and there was nothing like screaming at your friend cause he took down your 4 AT-AT's :) ) so seeing a game where you can actually turn the camera and have a lot of units at the same time makes me very excited. Plus, has anyone checked out the LA site recently? If you havn't you are missing out-they have some amazing screenshots (nice graphics) from the game. All in all, I can't wait for it to come out.

24. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    "What formats the game will be released on."
    As stated, probably only PC and maybe Mac since it is next to impossible to play strategy games on the consols...the consols controls are simply not meant to handle strategy games.

25. Nkenobi

Nkenobi Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2005
    Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread, to long.

I am definatly looking forward to this, I love Galactic Battle Grounds, and the new space-land battle combination sounds soooo cool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.