main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles - DK Book by Landry Q. Walker

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Feb 21, 2018.

1. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    So probably not even a ISD per sector when you look at it like that...most likely would only be Arquitens and Gozantis over most planets to support a ground garrison....and in necessary situations a carrier like the Quasar fire unless something really serious was going on.

And I am in the camp of more smaller ships instead of the DSs.

With the post above it still is relatively small.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Snafu55 likes this.
  2. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    ehh the way I look at it is that there are 20 imperial sectors outside the core (since there are 20 moffs in canon) each sector has a fleet mostly made up of arquitens and gozantis (what i think Han was talking about in ANH) and per sector (these are huge territories of space) there are 20-25 ISD's. Along with probably less than 10 other individual fleets for ie the 7th Fleet for Thrawn and Death Squadron for Vader. So 400-600 ISD's in imperial space at any given time with thousands of support ships

3. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    The TIE Defender size quote has me scratching my head a bit. As I recall, that's about the same length given for the TIE Interceptor; just judging from the solar panel design the Defender should be at least a meter or two longer.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  4. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    11.45 meters for the Interceptor apparently. That does not seem right to me though

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think that was back when TIE solar panels were 8.9m long, 10.71m wide, 9.125m high - Star Wars Incredibuilds: TIE Fighter (possibly the figures are attached to the wrong dimensions?).

According to SWTC, the ANH TIE prop was 36cm x 38cm x 48cm.
    (width length height)
    http://www.theforce.net/swtc/tie.html#catalogue

I presume the Interceptor's length was based on a 8.9m (or 8.99m - Databank) TIE.

Wookieepedia does cite Star Wars Incredibuilds's TIE Fighter Deluxe Book & Model Set model on the Interceptor canon page, as the source for the 11.45m length figure:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE/IN_interceptor

In Legends, back when TIE Fighters were 6.3m long, TIE Interceptors were 9.6m. When TIEs were upgraded to 8.99m long (or 8.9m, depending on the source) - it made sense to increase Interceptor length as well - since both share the same ball cockpit - and any change to regular TIE size, means changing the size of all TIE variants as well.

Now that TIEs have shrunk (Rogue One's figures for TIE fighter are 7.24m long, 8.82m high) Interceptor length should shrink as well - but it should still be more than 9.2m - since that was the Legends figure based on a 6.3m long TIE fighter.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    We could send you some SDs to keep you company. We have lots.

JABoomer and Snafu55 like this.
  7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think that (at least early on) those were supposed to be the Oversectors of the Clone Wars era.

At some point after that, the Empire may have switched Moffs from being Oversector commanders to being Sector commanders - just because there were 20 Moffs early in the empire before Tarkin got promoted to Grand Moff, doesn't mean that number remained the same throughout the Imperial era.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    But, I like my corner of Arquetens and Ties.... isd's are like when the emperor visits... very scary...

Sarge likes this.
  9. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Now you mention the Arquitens, I wonder why it was left out of the book... I mean it's been so prominent since the beginning of the New Canon.

TheRedBlade and Snafu55 like this.
  10. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I would imagine the Interceptor and the Defender have the same sized panels...just switch the side the mount is on. This would make both fighters the same length depending on wether or not the Defender's engine protrudes past the panel.

Because they needed 2 pages for the B-Wing and a page for escape pods.....

As an aside...I would think that the Arquitens would carry 4 fighters....that way you would not have one guy out there without a wing man.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    These books aren't comprehensive guides, but rather fun quick references for common and popular ships. Sometimes, iconic stuff get's left out. For example, the MC80 Liberty-type (actually, all MC80's) aren't included. Neither are the trio of new Resistance support ships, Ninka, Vigil, and Anodyne.

--Adm. Nick

12. chris1982

chris1982 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2015
    TB:. Wouldn't have hurt to add six more pages for those ships. But if they did have a hard page limit I would have left out the Imperial Container transport or escape pod page in favor of the Arquitens. It shows up in so many episodes of Rebels and some comics, it's extremly prominent rn. But no, instead we get an ugly transport that showed up in like 2 episodes and escape pods.

Snafu55 likes this.
  13. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I get that, but the Arquitens is certainly much more common than the gondola speeder from AOTC or the water speeder from Star Tours.

14. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Except they don't have the same panels:

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That would be the Advanced TIE Defender.

The regular TIE Defender was seen in Season 3. It still has cutouts at the rear of the panels, but the panels themselves are much less long - proportions are more like on the Interceptor, even if the shape is slightly different.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Hmm, you might be right.

It looks like on the original Defender prototype the fore and after sections of the solar arrays aren't quite as long as the ones on the Defender Elite. Whether that leaves it the same length as the TIE Interceptor is unknown; at least in that first appearance the Defender's solar arrays appear considerably broader than the Interceptors flying alongside it.

I broke out the modeling clay after a long hiatus and put together two TIE Defender models earlier in the week, hence my confusion when I was having a hard time getting the Defender to match the length of the old Micro Machines TIE Interceptor figure I was using for scale. One of the models was of a Defender Elite while the other was the now-Legends Ansel Hsiao version, which is my personal favorite depiction:
    http://fractalsponge.net/?p=2650

17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Finally bought the book about a week ago... and then promptly went on vacation. I read it on the flight home last night. Not bad, although clearly geared towards a younger audience. Would've preferred a book that focused more on just starfighters and capital ships, but it's clear that the NuCanon can't really support something like that right now. I was glad to see some of the ships from the Clone Wars show. There was some nice details (like the class name of the Hammerhead corvettes) but overall it felt like the continuation of 're-inventing the wheel' for SW lore that should've wrapped up by now.