main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NV Star Wars Episode 1-6 the RPG

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Axia_Euxine, Jun 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axia_Euxine

Axia_Euxine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2003
    This forum is to discuss the new RPG froming at the Talon table. We were going to do just some battle-battle thing to try out new skills and niether that or any Matrix/Star Wars mix held any appeal for me.

So on the way to the roleplay last sat I started thinking about what else we might do and an idea came to me. What if we played the Star Wars movies with the main characters (since their stats are in the books) and tried our best to play as the movies progress. And here is where it becomes interesting...

We all know the dice can be a cruel mistress. So things WILL change no matter what we do.

What if Qui-gon doesnt die? What if Obi-wan does (earlier, I mean), What if Anakin rolls a 1 during the pod race? What if Jar-jar dies at the Battle of Theed? Who would be Palpatine's patsy to vote in the ammendment in AOTC?

I think our goal is for episode VI to end in the redemption of Vader and the victory of the Rebel Alliance, but thats a long ways from the beginning of TPM. Obi-wan and Quigon could get killed on the Trade Federation ship which means Padme would never be rescued, Anakin would not be set free, the twins would not be born and Darth Maul would probably take Vader's place with no one to stop him. Of course MAce fighting Maul would be cool.

Unfortuantly in that scenario the rebel alliance would never really take off without Leia. Man I could talk about this all day, This is going to be so cool!

2. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    After the game sat, some of hung around and had various discussions. Amoung them was who can absolutely not die in order for the SW universe to end as Jedi did.

Artoo can never be killed. He holds the entire trilogy together.

Assuming lukes path doesnt diverge. Leia must stay alive until after the end of Empire.

Padme and Anakin must live until the birth of the twins, then Padme can die.

Obi-wan must live until he meets luke on Tatooine unless another Jedi sits on Tatooine in his place. Then Obi-wan can live until a certain (assumed) event in ep3, unless another Jedi takes his place. Then I guess Obi-wan could die anywhere really.

Han doesnt need to get out of the cantina, the others can get a flight with someone else. Obviously the same goes for Chewie.

Boba Fett doesnt need to live at all, he complicates matters for the heros

3. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    Vic, what are your thoughts on the following? Are we going to follow the movies as stricly as we can, or play the movies loosely while still maintaining the spirt of the character?

Example, Empire pulls out of lightspeed to close to the Hoth system. I'm playing Vader, I kill the admiral, land troops beyond thier energy field and send a couple Star Destroyers to the other side of the planet so no one sneaks out that way.

Result: Vader captures a much less powerful Luke and takes him to the Emporer where he is seduced by the dark side and helps wipe out the rebels. Ouch, just one little event and look what happened.

So, your thoughts?

4. Talon_Wolfe

Talon_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, first off, great idea you had, Axia. This will be fun, especially since we can break the big fat rule about playing actual heroes from the movies and/or books.

My feeling is this: we play closely to the movies, with there being a certian structure and goal system we play in. For instance, lets say we play starting at Episode 4. Well, we know that the Death Star exists, and that the plans need to get to the Rebels, and the Rebels are trying to take it out. We know that Luke wants to be a flyboy (only later does he want to be a jedi) and Han needs cash. We know that Obi is hiding, and perhaps waiting for Luke. We know the same about Yoda. Even Artoo has the goal of delivering his message, and finding Obi.

All these situations have certain goals, and if we play in a 'goal' framework, then anything can happen. If a main character decides something else based on new events, and takes a different direction, then so be it. If a main character dies, then so be it. It just rewrites our alternate history. Perhaps new, epic heroes will arise to take their place.

Even Artoo can die, in my opinion.

Imagine that a certain amount of 'fate' governs this universe, and the the 'force' will still try to shape history in some form that resembles the movies, or at the very least, brings balance. I as the GM, will try to be that force, but who is to say that things will go wrong and we will be looking at the dark side dominating the galaxy for many, many years?

5. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    This is going to be great! Now should we officially lock in characters in this thread for who we want to be?

6. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    Sure

Qui-Gon Jinn in PT
    Luke Skywalker in OT

7. Petra_Blakkwing

Petra_Blakkwing Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    ok..... Petra wants to be....

Anakin Skywalker..... in the PT.... i'll try not to whine too much :)
    and Han Solo in the OT..... I know Jaded really wants to be Obi-Wan in the PT....

8. GersonSith

GersonSith Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    I'll take Sidious and/or Vader

9. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    I'll take Darth Maul in the prequals and Lando in the OT.

I wonder what'll happen if watto fails his will save to Qui-Gon's Effect Mind.

"But credits will do fine."
    "Credits'll be fine, can I gift wrap that Hyperdrive for you too?"

10. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    Ummm Petra, if you play Anakin you'd play him throughout both trilogies wouldnt you? (Unless the dice betray you)

And Gerson can you do a good emperor impression? lol, Practice saying "EEEENTIRE LEEEEGION"

I had a thought, In order for Anakin to even get into the story the Hyperdrive has to be hit on the queens ship. What are the odds of that. (I mean beside the GM going ummm yoooouuurrr Hyperdrive-is-hit, yeah thats it!) Otherwise The queen and crew go straight to Coruscant.

Qui-gon: He is the chosen one! Surely you can see that.

Mace: Who are you talking about?

Qui-Gon: Was there another script change?

Vic, speaking of scripts, I was thinking of printing the script for TPM so we can get our lines right but I doubt I can make 8 copies. Can you make any copies there?

11. LADY_OBI-WAN

LADY_OBI-WAN Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2002
    LOL Moron Dude. I wish I could join in this sounds like fun. Ahhhh Welll the sacrifices of Motherhood. (insert "heavy sigh" from me and several "awwwwww" sounds from all of you.) :::sniff:::

12. JADED_JEDI

JADED_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    Yes, I would like to be Obi-Wan Kenobi The Great. hehehe! ;D

This is going to be sweet!

13. Petra_Blakkwing

Petra_Blakkwing Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    I think I could be Anakin for PT and someone else can be Vader for the OT...... I think that would work and I would so be down for it..... anyone have any objections? Gerson said he wants to be Vader.... would it be wrong for us to trade off?

14. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    yeah, I can make some copies. And I think it's a good idea to start at TPM and work forward chronologically.

Aaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!! (that was for Lady Obi-Wan)

15. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    I suppose not Petra, it was just an observation.

I cant wait for this to start. I had another thought. What if Qui-Gon fails his "listen" roll.

CRACK! Anakin's head gets splattered on the front of Maul's speeder.

Vic are we going to play only whats seen in the movies or are we going to play stuff that obviously happened or was implied.

Like sneakinging aboard different transports to get down to Naboo.

Yoda going to Kamino to get the army.

Luke going to Anchorhead and running into Biggs.

So the Cast so far is

PT
    Axia = Qui-Gon Jinn
    Gerson = Darth Sidious
    Jaded = Obi-Wan Kenobi (run faster this time)
    Petra = Anakin Skywalker
    Morondude = Darth Maul
    Sam, Anthony?

Personally I think the entire saga will be thrown into the toelit in the first night of play and Vic will have to come up with a whole new way of making the same basic events go down but, what do I know?

16. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    We will need to play whatever we can, as I imagine things will quickly diverge from the films in one way or another.

17. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    I just cant stop thinking about this. What does everyone see happening or want to happen with the Characters they chose? I personally would like Qui-Gon to survive through Episode 1 and that would throw Anakins training into doubt... Who else?

18. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    As for Darth Maul, I'd like him to still be around for the start of the clone wars, without having to kill Obi-Wan. Maybe at some point he turns tail (I doubt he'd do that), or maybe Obi and Qui-Gon will fight him to a point where he is thought to be dead (as in: 'not in two pieces'), or something.

Will the players who are playing a character who is not doing anything at a particular time be able to play minor support characters as well?

And like implied actions, will the novels be used to role play scenes not in the movies, like Anakin's Tusken encounter in TPM?

19. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    yes and yes

20. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Wow! I seriously CANNOT wait! This is so exciting, I won't mind one bit putting our main game on hold to play this occasionally.

21. JADED_JEDI

JADED_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    This is soooo great!!!

22. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, I am excited too- the prospect of us developing our own alternate history of the Star Wars timeline is very cool.

However, this will take a great deal of work and preparation, and frankly, I will need some help.

Axia, you already mentioned copying the scripts for everyone. That is a great idea, but in addition, I think we will need:

1. A detailed timeline for TPM. This would include not just TPM, but any EU stuff that was happening at the same time. I would suggest TimeTales, they are pretty detailed. Do we want to include video game EU?

2. Character Sheets galore. We will need to

a. Update the sourcebooks to reflect the most current errata, Revised rules, and new sourcebook info

b. Get character sheets for the characters at the time of TPM, in addition to sheets for all minor supporting characters. Characters that have an even smaller role than that we can call 'extras' and don't need a character sheet unless they develop into something more, which is possible. The sheets would not have to be like the ones we use, but maybe a simpler, one page version. Axia, maybe you and I can develop this.

3. Players will need to look into and understand their characters. Their motives, what makes them tick, etc. You aren't playing a character with a history and motives and desires that you made up, they are already made up. You will need to respond and act like they would, until the game or events give you reason to do otherwise. In addition, you will need to thoroughly understand how to use ALL their skills and feats, and when it's good to use them.

4. Representation with action figures. Why not, and besides, as we are dealing with actual movie characters, this should be a lot easier to accomplish. It will make interaction and combat better, too. I have a bunch, and we can use them if need be. Just be careful with my toys! :) Er, I mean my son's toys.

5. If we do action figures, I will rely on some of you to make some props. Nothing huge, just slap some cardboard together in the right dimensions to represent buildings, or whatever we need. If you're really into this, this could be as detailed as you want.

6. Finally, the most important thing: A Weird Al Concert T-Shirt, Size XXL, for the GM. Wearing this will help me harness my GM chi and focus it on the game. Okay, just kidding, but man, I am jealous of you MoronDude!!!

23. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    1. A detailed timeline for TPM. This would include not just TPM, but any EU stuff that was happening at the same time. I would suggest TimeTales, they are pretty detailed. Do we want to include video game EU?

Only if it is fun and exciting. That game Battle For Naboo for the N64 was kinda boring, and I'd be disappointed if a good part of a game session went to a bunch of Theed guards fighting a bunch of droids to get a bunch of Naboo citizens from some prison camp. I say that we be selective with what things we add to the story, but all movie stuff should be included.

3. Players will need to look into and understand their characters. Their motives, what makes them tick, etc. You aren't playing a character with a history and motives and desires that you made up, they are already made up. You will need to respond and act like they would, until the game or events give you reason to do otherwise. In addition, you will need to thoroughly understand how to use ALL their skills and feats, and when it's good to use them.

Good points! Sometimes a character may act one way in the movie, but have a lot of hidden and even contrary goals. I would be important to realize why a character does everything they do.

4. Representation with action figures. Why not, and besides, as we are dealing with actual movie characters, this should be a lot easier to accomplish. It will make interaction and combat better, too. I have a bunch, and we can use them if need be. Just be careful with my toys!

So I guess no shaking of the tables to make someone's action figure fall... over and over again.

5. If we do action figures, I will rely on some of you to make some props. Nothing huge, just slap some cardboard together in the right dimensions to represent buildings, or whatever we need. If you're really into this, this could be as detailed as you want.

Oh yes, I'm really interested! Anthony and I could help out in this department.

6. Finally, the most important thing: A Weird Al Concert T-Shirt, Size XXL, for the GM. Wearing this will help me harness my GM chi and focus it on the game. Okay, just kidding, but man, I am jealous of you MoronDude!!!

Don't be jealous. just think about it like this: It makes me have to miss a game session. All the weekly fun that I've grown accustomed to will be missed, in place of a concert where I have to ride the bus across town to get my tickets 2 hours before the show, and where I'll probably be so far back that Al will look like an ant. I mean, you guys are really getting the better of the deal... really... I mean it... I'm not lying... honestly... uhh... okay? *rolls Bluff*

Anyway, I talked to Anthony, and he'd like to be R2D2 for the entire span of the saga... unless the Trade Federation gets lucky and shoots him off the Queens ship with the rest of the droids.

24. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    I have some little stands for the figures, so they will be harder to knock down.

I am not sure if I am ready to let Anthony play another droid. What's his second choice? (something non-droid)

25. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.