main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SithForceLord, Apr 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    I download mp3s because i dont want to pay 30 bucks for a cd and i only really want one song off it

also mp3s r the only way i can relly get the crazy jap music i like

burnt and get burnt my behind at school market day on monday a lot of 4th formers where ripping cds for 5 bucks they were selling like mad y didnt they get burnt

2. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    I download mp3s because i dont want to pay 30 bucks for a cd and i only really want one song off it

also mp3s r the only way i can relly get the crazy jap music i like

burnt and get burnt my behind at school market day on monday a lot of 4th formers where ripping cds for 5 bucks they were selling like mad y didnt they get burnt

3. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    My god! Clone Posts........ again!

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I bask in your blueness.

5. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    JP-30 ... re: my calling record companies as jerks.

I still stand by this. I appreciate that they are trying to protect their business interests, and I don't condone any sort of action whereby the artist loses money. I do believe, however, that the major labels have a lot to answer for.

Look at CD prices. A CD costs a third more than a cassette, however the actual cost to produce a CD is much cheaper than a tape. Does anyone really think that $34.95 is a reasonable amount of money to pay for 45-60 minutes of music? (Actually, most of the CDs I buy now work out at $50.00 because I have to get them from England.)

I just bought the Harry Potter DVD for $29.95 last night. I appreciate that sell-through is a secondary market for films, but for a 2 disc set, with nice packaging etc., I felt like I got a good deal. It's ridiculous that a 2 hour movie with a bunch of exclusive features spread over two discs should be cheaper than a new album.

I think a new CD should be no more than, say, $25.00, and that albums by new artists should be even cheaper to encourage people to buy their albums. Especially New Zealand artists. Artists only get about $1.00 per album sale anyway, and I think if the price were more competitive, more people would be encouraged to buy the albums rather than copy them.

CDs are much cheaper overseas. (Not with our current exchange rate, but in comparison with other things.) In the UK, a new CD costs 10-15 quid, which is really only equivilant to about NZ$15.00. Why do we have to pay so much more?

The major labels are paying more and more money to established artists, like signing Mariah Carey for a huge amount of money, and then dropping her for a similar amount. Why not use that money to support 50 smaller bands? Who knows ... one of those bands could be the new Nirvana, or the new whatever ....

OK, this has gone on long enough, and I appreciate this is way off topic. My final point, still, is that I object to paying full price for a CD which I can't listen to on my computer.

Lawrence

P.S. - Oh, and for the record, I don't earn any copied CDs. My collection numbers over 1000 discs now, and I've paid for every single one. The only burnt stuff I have is rare & live stuff which you can't buy anyway.

6. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    I never paid $34.95 for a cd. I got the AOTC soundtrack for $25. :)

7. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Does anyone really think that $34.95 is a reasonable amount of money to pay for 45-60 minutes of music? (Actually, most of the CDs I buy now work out at $50.00 because I have to get them from England.)

1/ Yes - that's a fine price - get a job if it's too much.

2/ Don't buy your CD's from England!

Artists only get about $1.00 per album sale anyway,

Where did you hear that?!

In the UK, a new CD costs 10-15 quid, which is really only equivilant to about NZ$15.00.

Is "10-15 quid" 10-15 pound? Cause if so - that's $30-45 (it's a triple exchange rate from pound to NZdollar).

I object to paying full price for a CD which I can't listen to on my computer.

That's what a sterio is for, or a walkman.

The only burnt stuff I have is rare & live stuff which you can't buy anyway.

You can buy all music (live and otherwise) you just need to know where to look, and that place may well be overseas.

back on topic...

AotC is great!

:p ;) :D

8. Nici-je

Nici-je Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2000
    This is probably been discussed already but I can't be bothered with looking for it. (direct me if u don't want to explain again)

Can the ep2 soundtrack be played in DVD players? I've heard that it has anti-burning things :) and can't be played in some computers etc. Anyone know?

I was looking at empire mag and Adi Gallia is a different actor in Aotc than in TPM. How rude!

9. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

Shouldn't that be "How wude!", in a suitable Jar Jar voice. ;)

SimplyThrilledHoney:In the UK, a new CD costs 10-15 quid, which is really only equivilant to about NZ$15.00.

Wrong! SithForceLord is right (for a change). :p

All this rubbish about the pound being equal to the NZ dollar is just absolute nonsense. 10-15 UK Pounds works out to be roughly NZ$30 - $46.

This silly statement about 1 pound = $1 has been widely misunderstood. It's not the actual prices that are the same, but the price differences (after currency conversion) is roughly the same.
    eg. In the UK, you can buy an CD for 10 pound or a computer for 1000 Pounds.

In New Zealand, you can buy the same CD for $30 or the same computer for $3000.

So the price difference in the is 100 times in either currency. The difference in the UK is 990 Pounds, which works out roughly to be NZ$2970 - virtually the same as the difference in the NZ prices.

:)

10. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    Jeeze SithForceLord ... if that isn't the snitchiest response I've ever had from a message board posting. Calm down, OK.

> 1/ Yes - that's a fine price - get a job
    > if it's too much.

I have a job, thank you very much. And, yes, I do end up paying $34.95. I spend a *lot* of money on music, I just don't thaink that the asking p[rice for a CD in New Zealand is value for money.

> 2/ Don't buy your CD's from England!

The bands I like don't get a local release here. They're English bands on indie labels, and the only place you can buy them is England. Simple. If I could buy them locally I would.

> Artists only get about $1.00 per album
    > sale anyway,

> Where did you hear that?!

I couldn't give you an exact source, but I have a few friends in bands here. The record company pays for the cost of your album. Then it pays for the cost of your music vidoes, your advertising and your promotions. It also pays for your tour. Before you earn any money, all that money has to be paid back to the record company. Which is fine, it just means that ina small company like New Zealand you don't make that much money. I read an interview with Bic Runga (one of NZs most profitable artists) and in the article it said she only made about $1.00 per album sold after the record company had deducted her costs.

> I object to paying full price for a CD
    > which I can't listen to on my computer.

> That's what a sterio is for, or a walkman.

Sure, a lot of my friends have spent big bucks integrating their PC with their Hi-Fi, and use their computer as their stereo. It's pretty crap they can't pla

> The only burnt stuff I have is rare & live
    > stuff which you can't buy anyway.

> You can buy all music (live and otherwise) > you just need to know where to look, and
    > that place may well be overseas.

OK then, please direct me to a legitimate source of live albums by Hefner, The Wedding Present, Camera Obscura and Spearmint.

'til then, I'm sticking to my guns ...

Lawrence

11. Lil_Lisa

Nov 28, 2001
    *stays out of the cd arguement*

Nici: I think that's not Adi Gallia. :) I saw a pic of her somewhere on the JC, and it has the name of the Jedi on it too, and it's not Adi. They should be from the same background though.

12. Darth Sebious

Darth Sebious Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 21, 2000
    It gets even more complicated than that. In the Jedi Council scenes (although I'm not sure if you see her at all), the Jedi is actually Adi Gallia. On Geonosis, an identical looking Jedi is actually a relative of hers, Stass Allie. This was an attempt to maintain continuity because in the game Jedi Starfighter, Adi Gallia was flying a starfighter above Geonosis at the time. As far as I know, both characters were played by the same actress and the identity of 'Stass Allie' didn't even exist on the set.

In terms of the actual production, they probably got a different actress because they were filming on the other side of the world and nobody would notice unless they saw publicity stills. However, for some reason, Adi Gallia in AOTC is credited as being played by the TPM actress, even though she wasn't.

13. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Episode II was straight in at #1 in yesterday's NZ Herald Top Ten movies - no surprise there. :)

Plus in yesterday's NZ Herald was the review of Spider-Man - it only got four stars. :D

14. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    good to hear about SW!

4 stars?! hmmmm.

Still, Spider Man looks like a pretty sweet movie!

15. Darth Sebious

Apr 21, 2000
    It'll be interesting to see how Spider-Man goes box-office wise in NZ. In the US it was out two weeks before AOTC; here it's out three weeks after AOTC. I'd love it if AOTC managed to keep the top spot :D

It seems unlikely, though...

16. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

From the Spider-Man trailers I've seen the CGI Spider-Man swinging through the city quickly followed by the real actor are pretty awful - I can easily see which is which, the CGI one looks so plastic-like.

Definitely NOT as good as Jar Jar, and co. :)

17. Lil_Lisa

Nov 28, 2001
    Mmm, I really thought that's not Adi Gallia.... :confused:

The Spidey trailer sucks methinks, [face_plain] it looks so *fake*! Way too much CGI and explosions and stuff. I'll try not to see it in the opening weekend. :D

18. Darth Sebious

Apr 21, 2000
    In the Geonosis scenes it isn't her.

19. Lil_Lisa

Nov 28, 2001
    From the Empire website:

Another nugget of news carefully extracted from the halls of Lucasfilm was that Natalie Portman will be contributing to additional scenes for the original trilogy. Apparently, while shooting Episode III, Lucas will be leading Portman off to shoot some footage for Return of The Jedi, which will make its appearance on the eventual DVD release. The fact that Padme is supposed to have died long before the events in Episode IV is surely not lost on Lucas so the possibility of misty-eyed flashbacks can't be ruled out.

I'm not sure if I want to see Padmé in ROTJ. [face_plain]

20. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Yep. This rumour has been in the Usenet Newsgroups for a couple of days, but nobody can work out where Padmé would fit in. It can't really be a flashback scene because none of the Star wars movies use flashbacks ... so far anyway. ?[face_plain]

21. BranchuZ

BranchuZ Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2002
    More Natalie Portman.. I'm not complaining :)
    Me'sa sewww busting with joy joy :D

22. Darth Sebious

Apr 21, 2000
    She denied it. Or at least said she hadn't heard anything about it.

23. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I would love to see Padme in ROTJ. After Anakin dies, there could be one of those 'afterlife' scenes, where he is reunited with Padme.
    They'd kiss, and hug, and then she'd kick his butt.

"A dark lord of the sith?! What were you thinking?" *slap*

:D

24. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    welcome to the boards BranchuZ!
    good to see another Canty boy join the forums.

Maybe there will be a flashback while Leia is "remembering" her after luke asks about her.

Why is everone changing their icons? im so confused!

25. Lil_Lisa

Nov 28, 2001
    I was getting a bit bored with my Leia one, although I do like it a lot. I've been using it for what, three months? Don't like this Aayla Secura one too much, but there's not a Luminara one with lightsaber. [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.