main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Episode 3 Deleted Scenes

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Hudson1138, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hudson1138

Hudson1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 7, 2005
    With all the hoopla about some stuff being cut and some stuff being changed, I would consider everyone taking this information with a grain of salt.

Like the whole yoda/Dagobah scene being completely cut?

it doesnt make all that much sense, it would leave too many casual viewers ask questions. and with all the footage that people claim to have been deleted, it would make this film seem like a botched job, just sorta slapped together.

I know we have our reliable sources, but they have been known to make mistakes..... from time to time.

but seriously, they have made big mistakes in the past so I advise everyone to just chillll out and take everything like i said, with a grain of salt!

2. MoldyBread

MoldyBread Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 10, 2000
    Maybe that's the difference between the digital print and the film version.

3. mykillmyers

mykillmyers Jedi Master star 2

Feb 23, 2005
    I don't think there will be to many casual viewers, i would think anybody seeing this probably saw the others, and we all know yoda ends up on Dagobah, so I can live without that scene.

4. SeaBass09

SeaBass09 Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2005
    but we dont know how he gets there.

5. DarthScubbles

DarthScubbles Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2004
    SeaBass09 posted on 4/5/05 7:20am
    but we dont know how he gets there.
    [hr][/blockquote]

Well it is not like anyone thinks that he swam there. Who cares if we do not see how he got there. Did we see how Vader got to Bespin? Did we see how the Rebels got to Hoth? Did we see how they got to Yavin? Some things are just implied.

6. Dropkick

Dropkick Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    We don't need to SEE how he gets there.
    A spaceship takes him there. That's really all you need to know.

7. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    Here is an official list of deleted scenes from the "Making Of Revenge of the Sith" book. All these scenes are now cut from the movie, and more may have been cut since:

6, 7, 8-14, 25, 30, 32, 37-41: FedCruiser scenes cut (Grievous killing Shaak Ti, the Jedi using their lightsabers to escape GG, underwater swim, climb through shaft, many of R2's hangar gags, many Palpatine cliffhangers)

48: Mace greets Palpatine and the Jedi right after the crash-landing

56: Yoda, Obi-Wan and Mace discuss the Dark Side in Yoda's quarters

60: Bail and fellow Senators speak about the Senate

68-69: Obi-Wan tells Padme of his worries about Anakin and that he nows they're in love

71: Meeting with Organa, Mon Mothma and Padme

73: Anakin informs Palpatine that Obi-Wan soon will have Grievous' head

74: Jar Jar greets Anakin at Senate

75: Anakin confronts Padme

76-77: Republic cruiser arrives at Utapau

83: Obi-Wan chooses his lizard, Boga

86: Mace talks to Yoda on Kashyyyk, telling him of his plans to arrest Palpatine

88-89: Padme presents to Palpatine the Senators' petition

93: Utapau windmill

121: "crazy" Yoda and Chewbacca ambush an AT-ST

176: Yoda lands on Dagobah

Scene 176 is the entire Dagobah scene, according to the screenplay. The reason GL gave in the book for Dagobah's cut is that there were too many endings to the movie. The focus needs to be on the main characters - Padme's funeral, Vader, Leia, and Obi-Wan and Luke.

8. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    "The reason GL gave in the book for Dagobah's cut is that there were too many endings to the movie. The focus needs to be on the main characters - Padme's funeral, Vader, Leia, and Obi-Wan and Luke."

Maybe Lucas could go back and re-edit Return of the King.

9. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Well i hope they at least consider putting those as an extra feature on the DVD, because i'm curious about a few of those scenes.

10. Skywalker_Savior

Skywalker_Savior Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2004
    so the scene where Padme takes the petition to Palpatine has been cut? I was kinda looking foward to that scene seeing Anakin standing at Palpatines side. And isn't that the scene where Padme is wearing the outfit where she looks like how she does on the final poster? So shes wearing an outfit now on the final poster we'll never see in the actual movie?

11. DarthToeJam

DarthToeJam Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    For the theatrical release -- where most people will get their first impressions of the film as a whole and it's "rep" will be made -- a shorter, tighter film is better than one that is too long and repetitive. These scenes will undoubtedly make it onto the DVD, so there's no worry about not ever seeing them.

12. Hudson1138

Hudson1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 7, 2005
    HOLY **** it seems as though hes cutting a GOOD CHUNK of the movie!

13. Sidious69

Sidious69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2004

Why would GL delete that????

It will show the audience what those top Jedi thinks of the Sith.

14. Psycho_Sith

Psycho_Sith Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    Amen, Roland.

I would've liked to see some of those scenes play out though....maybe on the DVD.

15. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    48: Mace greets Palpatine and the Jedi right after the crash-landing.

Hmmm...this seems like a pretty important scene.

This is where Anakin tells them that Dooku is dead, so Mace thinks the war should be over.
    Palpatine disagrees, saying that the war will continue because Grievous is still alive.

16. DANA28

DANA28 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 15, 2002
    I was looking forward to some of these scenes,[face_worried] the spoiled.

I hope we get some real deleted scenes this time.

17. JediLaura01

JediLaura01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 20, 2001
    Well, I still hope we get to see these scenes, whether they are put back into the film for DVD, or just in the deleted scenes part of the DVD.

18. wisewiththeforce

wisewiththeforce Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I would've liked it just as much if we had heard that Yoda needs to go into exile, and only Obi knows where he's at untill we see Luke in ESB. Not everything needs to be told. It woulda been fresh to see a "new" planet for ESB, not just a refresh.

19. Marfus

Marfus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2004
    The scene where Mace talks to Anakin/Palps/Obi-Wan after the crash was re-written to take place outside the Senate building.

Basically they cut out all the early-Rebellion stuff. Which sucks. And yes I'm also a bit confused as to why they cut out the petition scene, as Padme's costume in the scene appears on the poster. It's quite a cool outfit actually, so what a shame.

20. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Hmm. I was kinda hoping all parts where the inference is that Obi-Wan loves Anakin would be cut. I know we understand it, but to the general public it smacks of: They're GAY!

21. wisewiththeforce

wisewiththeforce Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    The ambiguously gay duo!

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

22. DarthToeJam

DarthToeJam Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Um, just how accurate is this list? Is it official? Because if scenes 6-14 have been cut, then Anakin and Obi-Wan go from seeing the Invisible Hand from their cockpits to seeing them emerge from the access crawlspace into a hallway. We wouldn't see them land on the ship, exit their fighters, tell R2 to stay behnd, head off in search of GG... that's very unlikely. Lucas likes to cut to the action, but that elipses too much information. I don't buy this list.

23. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    The one scene I will be sad to see go is

I think we need the perspective of the Jedi on the Dark Side. I hope this will be combined in some way with another scene. But I am less than hopeful, since GL cut the nicer Mace/Obi-Wan scene in AotC in favor of "floating chair" Yoda.

24. raukoEmon

raukoEmon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    i'm more worried about them deleting too many scenes concerning the beginning foundations of the Rebel Alliance, I think it's a crucial part to the film but can manage either way

just as no good explanations are deleted

25. Jumpman

Jumpman Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    As much as I think it's an official list, I spent the better part of yesterday rereading the script, omitting the scenes that the book says were cut out but also rereading the last chapter of the Making of Book...and it's all really murky.

According to the Final Chapter ebook, the last edit was November of 2005...but we all know that Lucas will edit up until the release.

There is one problem I see in the script if the list is totally correct.

When Obi-Wan and Anakin say their final goodbyes before Kenobi heads for Utapau, the next scene according to the list is Obi-Wan arriving on Utapau...there's not transiting between the two scenes.

As it is in the script, you have Anakin meeting up with the Chancellor and him insinuating that Obi-Wan and Padme are conspiring against Anakin, then you get the Anakin confronts Padme scene (that we've seen snippets in the Trailer and Tragedy TV ad) but that scene has been cut.

So we get Obi-Wan boarding the cruiser after saying goodbye to Anakin, him going into hyperspace with his starfighter, then him arriving on Utapau. There has to be some scene in the middle of that.

The formation of the Rebel Alliance is done in a clever way that plays on everyone's knowledge of the Original Trilogy if those scenes have indeed been cut. It's technically cheating but it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.