main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace - rewritten

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Oakessteve, Oct 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Now, how did this thread get back up on the first page..........

MOLLY! 8-}

2. happyron

happyron Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2002
    Ironically I had just thought of the idea today that c3po would be better introduced as part of the trade federation. I saw it happening in a more comical way. With obi-wan and qui-gon talking:

QUI-GON: The federation has created a new kind of droid. A droid for the ages. A droid that communicate millions of ways. A droid that will change everything!

QUI-GON AND OBI-WAN LOOK TOWARD DOOR WITH GREAT ANTICIPATION, EXPECTING SOMETHING SPECTACULAR. DOOR OPENS. C3PO APPEARS, HITTING HIS HEAD ON THE TOP OF DOOR

C3PO: DOH!! WHY DON'T THESE DOORS EVER WORK

C3PO Rambles on in C3PO fashion.

QUI-GON: Well maybe not so advanced.

Or something like that. I don't think C3PO has been particularly funny since Empire.
    Another thing: if you ever re-write your thing, PLEASE remove the "taxation line" in the opening it just doesn't sit right with me.

3. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    I feel like upping this thread so that any newbies can see and comment on it :D 'Sides, I watched AOTC again the other day...and I still say: read this first, and you'll enjoy AOTC more!

:)

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    How about this for an opening scroll:

It was a Republic of a thousand-thousand worlds. From one end of the cosmos to the other, the Republic throve and grew....?

5. Emperor_Kefka

Emperor_Kefka Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2001
    Oh! I just realized, Nute CAN'T die at the end of the rewrite, because he's in AOTC!

In solving one continutity error(When I first met your father-Obi) Oakes has created yet another diabolic loop.
    It drives me mad just driveling about it! Bwahahaha!

6. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Can anyone get on the first page of this thread. I can't! If you can, could you cut and paste the re-write on a new post. Thanks.

7. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
  8. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
  9. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    (Another @#$%&^@ error!)

10. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    Hee hee..someone upped this thread! Excellent! Now we can compare this with the TPM rough draft, and another rewrite which is in progress!

:D

11. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I wouldn't say that re-write makes AOTC better but it is a grand script and I envy the author for having the spare time for doing that. :p

12. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    Gotta disagree with you there Pooja :p The fact that Anakin and Kenobi's friendship started from TPM as it was in this rewrite mad AOTC better for me. Especially the elevator scene in AOTC. With the friendship progressing on screen, there is no need for EU to fill the gap (I'm not an anti-EU guy, but I seldom read any non-Zahn EU ;))

And of course, Jar Jar matured at the end of the rewrite. Thus, it certainly made sense that he could be a politician. If I were to just follow TPM the movie, then can I just say the Naboo and the Gungans deserve to be wiped out...all of them...for making Jar Jar a representative. Heh...that's like making Bozo the clown the general for the war against terror.

Just MHO :D

13. DarthPreston

DarthPreston Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2002
    Just got around to reading this script. All i gotta say is, if THIS was the Phantom Menace that we were treated to in 99, i'd be a FRIGGIN happy camper! It almost makes me upset that this is not the way the real movie went, and it was all ingenius tweaking of the plot, most of which were mention in original rough drafts of TPM. I wonder if we could petition Lucas to redo TPM? Just joking. GREAT re-write, my perosnal fav.

Preston

14. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    In this rewrite, Obi Wan went to Mos Espa and so, he was the one who fought Maul in the desert, no? Heh heh, thus I think this pic should be in this thread:

[image=http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Episode_1/Characters/Obi-Wan_Kenobi/vanity-7.jpg]

:D

15. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    The only difference being that in my rewrite, in the Tatooine duel, Obi-Wan gets his bottom very servely kicked by Darth Maul! Anyhow, thank you all for your kind comments.

"steve, is there anything you'd change in your rewrite in light of AOTC? I know I'd change mine."

Well, there isn't much. Obviously, I'd have to have Bibble and Nute survive, but as they both are very different characters to how they seem in the proper Phantom Menace, that would probably be a lot harder to do. Also, perhaps I'd have Obi-Wan being less friendly towards Palpatine, and perhaps hint that he suspects that there's something peculiar about the senator. But that's all I can think of at the moment!

16. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I like your rewrite very much. I like what you did with C-3PO giving him a more advanced and a heroic role. I also like how you changed Jar Jar's history a little. I also like how you delved further into Obi and Qui-Gon's relationship. I'm not sure about having Obi-Wan go to Mos Espa instead of Qui-Gon though. I think on that important of a mission Qui-Gon should've gone. Plus it makes him seem more important in my opinion. I also like Darth Maul's advanced role as it gives you more insight into his character and what you did made him seem more evil. I don't like what you did with either Nute or Rune though. You made Rune to cowardly for my liking and Nute to sly. I also like a lot of the rewritten dialogue as well.

I like the rewrite a lot. It does have some things that are better than the actual movie but some things aren't as good such as changing Nute's character and making Qui-Gon less important. I do like Maul's advanced role a lot and Plo Koon got lines which is a plus.

Good Job my friend!

17. Marie_Kenobi

Marie_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2002
    Hey Oakessteve, just wanted to tell you that I loved your rewrite! (Like you haven't heard those exact words dozens of times by now. :p) Although I will admit I read mainly the parts where I saw the name 'OBI-WAN' ( [face_blush] ), everything that I did read sounded fine with me! One thing I'm really glad you changed is that in the beginning, Qui wouldn't let Obi take a drink from 3PO. Everytime I see that (in the real version of the movie) I can't help but think, "No! How could they be so stupid!" If Obi-Wan had a bad idea about the situation since the moment they stepped onboard the ship, then why did he take a drink from the Neimodians??

Although I'm not too fond of how close Obi and Anakin were in your rewrite(I rather enjoyed the tension created between the master, apprentice, and slave in Lucas' version, even if Qui-Gon didn't really have reasons to justify his actions IMHO), you wrote it in a way that could be considered believable(sp?). The only problem would be when you get to Episode 2. Anakin just seems to act so strange around Obi-Wan. It's like he doesn't respect him at times. Especially when they are talking to Padme in her apartment and Anakin goes, "Why?", making it sound like he's questioning Obi-Wan's authority.

Anyway, great rewrite! I loved the lightsaber duels and how you included dialogue in there, which gives me a little inspiration for my TPM Obi-Wan journal that I'm writing. Keep up the good work, and I'm glad I found this! :D :D

Tootles!
    --Marie K.

18. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Thank you for your kind words, Marie_Kenobi, and please let me know how your Obi-Wan journal goes :D.

19. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    Up! :D

BTW, this an outstanding rewrite. Remarkable! :)

20. YoungPadawanLearner

YoungPadawanLearner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2002
    This is a good re-wright. It's so good, I'm gonna re-read it right now!

21. cal_silverstar

cal_silverstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    This rewrite adressed every problem I had w/ TPM. Excellent job! I actually like your version of Jar Jar.

22. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    fantastic! i only now read this and i am totally blown away.

this is what i mean when i say TPM could have been better. you have made it better in so many ways.

excellent work!

23. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
  24. darth_Yusuafro

darth_Yusuafro Jedi Youngling

Aug 17, 2002
    hey steve im curiose to see how u would do making up a completely new story.Would u take the challenge of creating eps 7-9m, the continuation of the saga?

25. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    oopsy poopsy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.