main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Star Wars Episode I: The Reworked Menace

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Comical Maxwell, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Comical Maxwell

Comical Maxwell Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2015
    Hm. . . It has always surprised me at how much threads we have on the topic of 'rewriting the star wars prequels' or 'sharing your vision on how it could of been', yet no one has really devoted their own separate thread about their vision, and actually re-working the plot, scene by scene. Here is where I come in! Here is how I would kick off the first episode of this three-part trilogy of greatness. I'll continuously update the story time from time. Right now my short, condensed, but ultimately improved take on Act I:
    "From the beginning of the story, we are introduced to a character named OBI-WAN KENOBI, a young and brash Jedi Knight who longs to find his purpose in the galaxy, something that he has always been struggling since his recruiting. He's of the adventurous type, and is known to be very reckless at times. Under the supervision of his mentor, and closest friend, QUI-GON JINN, he manages to keep himself in check, despite often his antics get the both of them in trouble.

Through a series of events, and things that happen after his first 'official' assignment by the Jedi Council alongside Jinn, OBI-WAN goes from the care free smart-ass that we're introduced to at the start, to the more humble, and tame Jedi Master we know today. We begin with:

OBI-WAN and QUI-GON are assigned a mission to discuss diplomacy with the peaceful planet of ALDERAAN with it's main head, PRESTOR BAIL ORGANA.

Meanwhile, a small, but deadly group of Mandalorian spies are sent all around the main capital, where the meeting happens to take place, are placing denotations all over.

The plan is successful, and ALDERAAN's main line of planetary defense is blown to smithereens. A horde of Mandalorian Supercommandos led by GENERAL GREVIOUS storm the palace, and plan to take over the city.

OBI-WAN and QUI-GON manage to escape, quite barely, along with the PRESTOR, and get him to safety. They hurry to their landing ship to escape the doomed planet. Despite this, the ship get's also blown to smithereens, and the group is surrounded.

QUI-GON takes a chance, and gives up himself up to save OBI-WAN, along with the Prestor, are able to escape inside a young pilot's ship by the name of ANAKIN SKYWALKER. They board on, and manage, but barely, evade a chase by Mandalorian ships, and crash onto the desolate planet of TATOOINE.

Now the four of them: Obi-Wan, the pilot ANAKIN SKYWALKER, PRESTOR BAIL ORGANA, and his bodyguard PADME AMIDALA are on the journey to retrieve the parts needed to fix the ship, and fly off to Coruscaunt where the PRESTOR would be safe, free from Mandalorian capture."
    ___
    [Act II to be continued, or in this case, written.]

2. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    There's a fanfic section for this kind of thing.

3. Big Boss_92

Big Boss_92 Jedi Master

Dec 1, 2013
    Looks interesting, but remember that you must try to follow the canon as closely as possible, Obi-Wan's master was Yoda not Qui-Gon. I don't know the age of the characters, but try not to make them too young, Obi-wan at least thirty, and Anakin at least nineteen.
    And this will be a fan-novel or you will do the script later?

4. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    That's not canon.

5. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Yoda was his teacher when Obi-Wan was just a youngling. Then Obi-Wan became padawan and Qui-Gon became his master.

6. Big Boss_92

Big Boss_92 Jedi Master

Dec 1, 2013
    That's how Lucas explained when he made the prequels, but if we do as if there were no prequels, it is implied that Yoda was Obi-wan's master.

7. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Except the "Prequels" are! Lucas didn't even need to explain it-it's pretty obvious from the films themselves, at least to some people.

Saga Explorer and Andy Wylde like this.
  8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Mod Note: There is a fine line between fan fiction which does not belong in this thread and discussing elements of the PT which does. For the moment, I will assume this thread is heading toward the latter.

9. Comical Maxwell

Feb 14, 2015
    Somebody please take down this thread. . .

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I can't wait to see how they get the parts for the ship. My guess is Wolverine shows up and they build a new ship out of his adamantium skeleton.

11. Comical Maxwell

Feb 14, 2015
    Please someone. . . anyone?

12. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Somebody please take down this thread. . .
    -----------

you're going to have to ask Bazinga'd to lock it, :)

Darth Zannah likes this.
  13. Comical Maxwell

Feb 14, 2015
    Things getting out of control.

14. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    another useless exercise in anti-prequel fan fiction...sigh

Andy Wylde likes this.
  15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Thing is that the prequels flow extremely well over the 3 movies. They try their best to make the far more uneven OT work and they do an amazing job of covering over the problems but if anything needs to be rewritten it's the OT. The excuses made for them is due to their being made first and therefore they shouldn't be changed.

At this point though all the movies are made so what came first doesn't really matter anymore. If someone is going to make changes then it should be to make everything work better together. The difference is though that the prequels were written with the express purpose of giving the OT a lot more depth and make a lot more sense than it actually does. That mission was accomplished. So rewriting the prequels largely comes off as reworking them so they align more to the OT.

The inherent problem with that is that the OT already has more than enough troubles. These problems were part of the process of deciding not to include enough information to really know what is going on but just following what was happening. The prequels did this also but what was happening on the screen also gave the background that the OT left out.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  16. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Um, I love the prequels, but what are these OT troubles you speak of?

Not explaining away everything isn't a flaw. The mystery is part of the charm.

I totally appreciate that the PT does interesting things for the OT, and vice versa, but honestly those movies were already timeless. They work entirely on their own, or inclusive of the PT.

Darkslayer likes this.
  17. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    So far, in this version:
    • Anakin is no longer a slave, thereby excising a major part of one of the prequels' strongest thematic arcs.
    • A major character is introduced and killed off in the first act, contributing minimally to the story.
    • Mandalorians, for some reason.
    I look forward to the next installment! You're already giving ol' George a run for his money.

18. NowTHISIsPodRacing

NowTHISIsPodRacing Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2015
    I thought Obi-Wan was trained by Qui Gon always? I can't believe it was Yoda when Obi was a youngling. What line did I miss?

19. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    No Naboo?

Naboo is one of the things I like in the prequels.

Is there anyone that doesn't like Naboo? I'm curious. Its one of my favorites. One thing the prequels got over the OT is the planets.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  20. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    I think most people would have rather had Mandalorians than Battle Droids. One of the few hints of the Clone Wars from the OT was that Boba Fett wore the armor of the Mandalorian Supercommandos, who were wiped out by the Jedi during the Clone Wars. That was never followed up on, instead we got "funny" robots.

Obi-Wan to Luke on Hoth: "You will go to the Dagobah System. There you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me."
    Obi-Wan to Yoda: "Was I any different when you taught me?"

You did watch The Empire Strikes Back right?

21. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    ^^Yeah, and what marks this as an inconsistency is not that he says having been trained by Yoda(after all he could have more than one master), it's his phrasing as 'THE Jedi Master who instructed me'. 'The', not 'a', which means he only has been trained by one and points towards Yoda as his only Master, not Gui-Gon.

22. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Yep, Obi-Wan's line should have been: "You will go to the Dagobah System. There you will learn from Yoda, the blind Jedi Master who led the Jedi Order when it was destroyed. My Master was Qui-Gon. You don't know him, but he was quite a good Jedi. Maybe he could have prevented a lot of things from happening....anyway, you will go to the Dagobah System because Yoda is the only surviving Jedi. Good luck and take a warm bath, it appears to be cold on Hoth. I'm a Ghost, how would I know?"

I'm sure a near-to-death Luke would have been greatly motivated by Obi-Wan's accurate reconstruction of the past and eager to see Yoda, in case he survives.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I just don't know how you can confuse "The Jedi Master who instructed me" and "A Jedi Master who instructed me." The Jedi Master sounds definitive imo. How can you spin that into including Qui-Gon in the PT?

24. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    It's not that I hate Qui-gon I do find him interesting and looking just at TPM I thinks he's okay in there. But coming to the Big picture was he really needed? He doesn't add a lot to the story in my opinion.
    Instead of him we could have had more time developing Anakin and Obi-wan, who are bigger parts of the story. Qui-gon could have been a Jedi Council member who didn't go with the flow and is Obi-wan's friend who wants Anakin to be trained.

Obi-wan could have appeared as newly knighted Jedi who met Anakin while on Tatooine trying to repair Queen Amidala's ship.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed 100%. After watching ESB and ROTJ, it just seems jarring watching TPM/AOTC/ROTS. What else were we supposed to think happened after watching the OT? Anakin and Obi-Wan having a minute of interaction if that in TPM is inexcusable imo.