main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Star Wars Episode I: The Reworked Menace

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Comical Maxwell, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just a handshake and the conversation at the end. Really? That's all?

2. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    That was intentional. Obi-Wan didn't want anything to do with Anakin until after Qui-Gon died, and it led to tensions between them later down the line. That's literally the story. You can dislike it, but you can't deny that Lucas was deliberately playing against expectations. In fact, in the original story, Obi-Wan was the one who discovered Anakin. Then he died, and his apprentice, Qui-Gon Jinn, took on the name of "Obi-Wan Kenobi" out of respect for his master, becoming the character we know from the OT. Lucas changed the story to be more straightforward, but the desire to defy expectations was there from the very beginning and survived through to the story's final form.

3. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    When I was in the academy for Correctional officer, I had 3 drill instructors I main and two secondary. I can only name the main one at this point in my life. Did that mean the 2 secondary's didn't instruct me at any point? No. Not in the slightest. I mean Yoda also mentioned in TESB that he had a council that would make decisions of who was to become a Jedi. Did he have to rattle off every name on that council for Luke to get the point? No.

4. Tosche_Station

Tosche_Station Jedi Master star 2

Feb 9, 2015
    The word council, in that context, didn't mean a literal council. The word can be used as both a verb, as well as a noun, although the verbal sense is somewhat quaint.

"My own council will I keep on who is to be trained!"

As in, "my own wisdom".

There was no Jedi Council when the OT was made.

5. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    Was this council means wisdom stated anywhere? Or is this just left to personal interpretation?

6. Tosche_Station

Tosche_Station Jedi Master star 2

Feb 9, 2015
    The context of the sentence makes it more probable that it's the archaic sense of the word rather than a reference to a literal council. Yoda alluding to an entity that no longer exists makes no sense in the context of the dialogue for that scene.

7. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    It may make no sense to you/ But it still doesn't disqualify it from being his wisdom as opposed to a multiple person council. Which in the PT is exactly what we see is a multiple person council. So from the context he says it in TESB lines up perfectly with what is shown in the PT. That is the way I see it.

To you, council=wisdom
    To me, council=council

Who is right? Who is wrong? I don't know? But I have nothing that should make me feel that when he refers to a council, that it shouldn't refer to what we see in the PT.

8. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Tosche is right on this one.

Yoda is clearly referring to his own wisdom.

Although, according to the subtitles (on my 2013 DVDs: the last reissue, based on the Blu-ray transfers), in both TPM and TESB, he uses the word counsel, not "council".

Which merely strengthens Tosche's case that Yoda is saying that he is his own authority. Yes, to some extent, the similarity of the words "counsel" and "council" could lead one to infer that Yoda is making a pun, of sorts; which he might be.

But then, by the same measure, literally mixing up "counsel" and "council", so that "council" comes out as representing an actual council, is the same magnitude of error as referring to Counsellor Troi in "Star Trek: The Next Generation" as "Councillor Troi".

I like the little callback to Yoda's rebuke of Luke in TPM, where in the newer/earlier film it is Obi-Wan being rebuked: an echo of where everything is heading; or has come from (depending on your POV). But still, as Tosche said, there was no Jedi Council in the OT.

There was obviously space to include one in a backstory, however.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  9. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    Well I can concede that point then. I wasn't sure at first. But thanks for clarifying that point. I just put 2+2 together with the "counsel" remark by Yoda and the counsel in the PT. But it is all good. I learn something new.

Cryogenic likes this.
  10. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

That's cool.

The real problem here -- as in every area of life -- is that people don't adequately check things before speaking and forming an opinion.

We're all guilty of it. Always consult the proper sources. :)

Andy Wylde likes this.