main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Star Wars Episode II: Attack of The Clones - Your opinion

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by JediJainaSolo, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    You're not 'effen wrong!

2. Ragtime_Mouse

Ragtime_Mouse Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    One word- Yoda
    I've got a question, does anyone not like Yoda? Cause after seeing that, how can you not bow down to the MASTER?

3. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    Damn right. Although, I don't think Dagsy was too enthused by him.

4. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    What the hell is wrong with him? ;)

5. JediJainaSolo

JediJainaSolo Jedi Youngling

May 10, 2002
    is ok guys, you haven't spoilt it for me!!:) In fact, I'm really looking forward to seeing it now!!! Yoda rocks anyway, so I guess seeing AOTC will only make me fonder of him!!

Keep the opiniojns coming, I'd really like to know what you all think!

Cheers,
    Jaina

6. Dave_Smogcrawler

Dave_Smogcrawler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    YODA YODA YODA YODA YODA YODA OBI-WAN OBI-WAN OBI-WAN OBI-WAN FETT FETT FETT FETT FETT BATTLE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JEDIS JEDIS JEDIS JEDIS JEDIS FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT WOOOOOOOOO

7. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    Best film I've seen since ESB was released.

It's a classic. Loved everything about it except:

1. Graininess of the film. It looks very crappy in parts.

2. No musical score during the Obi/Jango space battle.

3. The "What a drag" comment.

4. The Anakin fat cow beast surfing scene.

Everything else is just.......I don't know, mindblowing. I've seen it twice now, when my 5 yr old daughter saw Yoda in action - she actually yelled GO YODA! in the cinema. No, she stood up and screamed it. Lol.

We dig that little green midget.

Going again tomorrow night.

8. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

Well, I finally saw it - 6.45pm, Thursday May 16. Missed the local midnight session for family reasons.

I thought it was great. Certainly a must see again to get it fully.

The way Anakin is turning is great. I thought they pulled it off well - sure, it's not Shakespeare, but then Shakespeare wasn't Marlowe, so what can you do?

The love scenes... corny. But isn't love corny? It always looks corny when you're an outsider. There's not much you can do there.

Yoda fighting. Hmmmmm. Looked a bit too gamey and cg for my taste, but i'll forgive that.

Was interesting to see how it compared to the book. I wish they'd had more Jango & Boba scenes. They worked well in the book, IMO. And very interesting that they did have Qui Gon call out to Anakin in the movie. Very interesting indeed...

I don't know. I'll get back after I've seen it again on the weekend.

First impression: Great work, George!

9. Ghost_of_Caesar

Ghost_of_Caesar Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I've done four times in a day. I'm still running on adrenaline.

Favourite bits -

The witticisms between Obi-Wan and Anakin
    Yoda - damn, he really is a swinging green muppet
    Anakin and Padme's relationship

Least liked bits

C-3PO started to get on my nerves after a while.
    I hate to say, but the fight between Jango and Mace was way too short. After the dust-up between Jango and Obi-Wan earlier in the piece, it just seemed to short and abrupt to me.
    The father-son relationship between Jango and Boba doesn't get a chance to be seen to grow.

Overall, all I can say is that I cannot wait to see it again.

10. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

I'm gonna risk eternal expulsion and say I wasn't greatly over-impressed by Yoda fighting.

Too much like a psychotic garden gnome for my tastes ...

When he took off his coat and pulled that pose, everyone in the audience laughed - and not in a good way...

I guess I'm just showing my age. I preferred his scenes with the younglings... "How embarassing..."

:eek:

11. ONI

ONI Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2002
    The movie was awesome, my main complaint (aside that Jar Jar Binx is still alive) was the use of C.G. for Yoda, though it was pulled of extremely well, yoda is not the same when not a puppet!!! Midnight session killed me 3 hours sleep b4 work!!!! Will be a multi viewing movie... atleast 3 or 4 times!!! then DVD when it is released... cannot wait!!!

12. -Oola-

-Oola- Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2002
    i have to say that....

I GREATLY DISLIKED THE YODA BATTLE SCENE!!!!
    I GREATLY DISLIKE YODA'S ANIMATION, so so wrong.....!!!!
    HELL,
    I GREATLY DISLIKE YODA!!!!
    LOL

no, seriously, i thought the whole fight sequence (Yoda's) was really---really--- stupid, but, hey, that's me.

Bar that little discrepency (note: suggest a spell-checker for this board...) the movie, in all, i would have to say, exceeds all other movies! (now, coming from a "hopelessly in love with the original trilogy" kinda person, that's a big deal. ;) ) ( lord of the rings, however, does come a pretty close second....)

BTW. I'm so----- getting Padme's dress! i definitely want to wear that for MY wedding. I just need a jedi of my own.... sorries if i spoilt it Fi!

(edit: clarifying which fight scene referred to, the jedi fight scene was AWESOME!)

13. BibFortuna

BibFortuna Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2002
    i agree with oola...i cant stand yoda. that fight scene was so comically stupid.
    Anyways wat i did enjoy was C3P0...he rocked!!!!!!!
    i say this knowing that most people bagged him, but i thought he was great.
    I especially liked the whole factory scene and then the big jedi battle.
    Padme's character was a little dissapointing, i felt. she was not how i expected her to be.
    i am super glad that the whole love story thing did not ruin the movie, thank-you lucas!lol
    Jaina, i dont think youll like obi-wan in this one, (hes older...much, and very serious) just warning ya :)

14. Dave_Smogcrawler

Dave_Smogcrawler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    YODA ROCKS YODA ROCKS YODA ROCKS YODA ROCKS YODA ROCKS YODA ROCKS YODA ROCKS YODA ROCKS

15. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    It's funny how different people have such different opinions. BibFortuna - I absolutely loved Yoda and his fight scene. C3PO on the other hand was to AOTC what Jar Jar was to TPM. Annoying and totally unnecesary. Just my opinion.

I always liked Yoda, (even though he's an annoying little know-it-all sometimes) but now I can't watch the OT in the same way again. He's a lean, green fighting machine.

16. jediguy

Jun 10, 2000
    Repost from the SC

Alright. Now that about 36 hours has passed since I sat and watched AOTC, and now that various plot points have had the chance to sink in, I feel I can make a valid judgment. For starters, this movie isn't perfect. It has it's flaws. I'll try to outline some of them:

The Bad:

Hayden's acting at the beginning and middle of the movie. Quite simply, it was corny ****. All his lines seemed forced, and only Obi Wan managed to keep the whole thing from edging into high-school theatre.

Crappy dialogue. When coupled with Hayden's lousy acting in certain places, this made me squirm. Stuff like "It's all Obi Wan's fault!", while throwing a can against the wall was really pretty dodgy. I realise that Star Wars isn't supposed to high-class theatre, but some lines were going too far.

Music.I don't think I ever thought, at any stage in the movie, (besides the end): "Wow. The soundtrack really adds to this." Sure, I'm a sucker for 'Across the Stars', but the other music didn't have nearly the same awe-inspiring, fantastic effect that it did in the OT.

Some...uhh......*questionable*, dodgy scenes. Anakin's dream, anyone? Shmi's death, anyone?

However, when all is said and done, I don't think that these faults made the movie bad, in any way. It is absolutely one hundred times better than TPM. Here are the good bits:

The Good Bits:

Yoda. Mind-blowingly ******* awesome. The entire cinema collectively creamed their pants when Yoda came on the screen, and repeated that act when he got out his lightsaber. I was extremely anxious about this scene, as I pictured Yoda fighting with a lightsabre against a human something akin to the 'Rabbit' scene in 'The Quest for the Holy Grail'. Luckily, I was wrong. It was infintely better than that. Best scene in the movie, IMO.

C3PO & R2D2. Perfect comedy relief. In opposition to some people's opinions, these gags did not, in any way, drag me out of the 'feel' of the movie. Sure, they were corny, but they were also funny. As opposed to Jar-Jar. In TPM. Who sucked. Lines like "I'm beside myself", "What a drag" and the whole battle droid head swapping thing provided an alternate comedic feel to the heavy content of the battles and the love story.

The Love Story. Please note that I appreciated it towards the end of the movie. At the beginning it felt like two 13 year olds trying to ask each other on a date - very awkward. However, at the end, with Anakin (and him somewhat improved acting) throwing in lines like "You are ripping my soul to shreds", and Padme (who I actually like in this movie) saying "Every day I'm with you a little piece of me dies", was very telling of their feelings for each other and the emotional strain they must have been going through. When at the Arena - they kiss - and at the end when they finally realise their love for each other, it provided a few very emotional scenes that still linger in my mind.

The scene with Yoda and the children. Actually magical, IMO. Seeing Yoda teaching the children, the dialogue with Obi-Wan, and the whole 'Holo-map' sequence was very, very enjoyable.

Obi-Wan. I loved Obi-Wan in this movie. Absolutely no question about it. He had the best lines, the best wise cracks and the best smart arse comments, and probably did one of the best acting jobs. He has obviously matured a lot since TPM, which shows in his sequence at Kamino, his fight with Jango and the chat with Dexter.

The CGI depiction of the Star Wars universe was fantastic. Coruscant looks positively dreamy, and the fog sequence with the landing of the Naboo cruiser was great. Kamino and Geonosis was good as well.

Overall Rating

I give AOTC a 7.5/10 rating. It had many flaws, but they in no way ruin the whole experience, unlike TPM. So, here is my revised SW list, (from best to worst):

ESB - 9/10
    ANH - 9/10
    AOTC - 7.5/10
    ROTJ - 7.5/10
    TPM - 5/10

Here are some little things I remember fr

17. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

When I saw it, there were two parts were people laughed (in a bad way):

1. The yoda fight scene.

2. Shmi's death. Not her death, per se - but the way she dies and then throws her head back.

Oh well.

18. jediguy

Jun 10, 2000
    Why did they laugh at the Yoda scene?

19. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    When he does his karate kid style stance before or after the force lighting fight, I can't remember.

I laughed coz I thought it was funny, not because it was stupid and so did most people there I'm sure.

20. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    I laughed at the Yoda scene simply because I was having an absolute ball. I think most people in the cinema were feeling the same way

21. Darth-Tom

Darth-Tom Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2001
    i though part of geonosis looked soooooo fake and computerised. So much just didn't look real. It was like watching a cartoon or final fantasy. Especially the ships, the ships in ANH looked real, like you could reach out and touch them. These ones looked fake. GL has gone overboared with the computer stuff.

22. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    How unlucky is Anakin? He waits 10 odd years to decide to go rescue his mother, and she dies within minutes of him seeing her again.

Overall, I digged it, despite the flaws all over the place. Waaay better than Ep1, but still not as good as the OT.

I liked Hayden's performance overall, too. And Natalie is still hot.

And how funny was Boba Fett's kiwi accent? HAHAHAHA. Boba Fett's a maouri!! (sp?)

Yoda ruled.

23. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I'm amazed no one has menioned Obi-Wan's words to Anakin in the beginning of the film:

"One day I think you'll be the death of me."

(if someone already has posted it sorry - I must have missed it :) )

I loved the film. Not perfect by any means (what film is?) but very enjoyable. :)

24. ONI

ONI Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2002
    Did any one notice the multiple lines that were recycled or altered form the previously released 4 films?

Kewl but in some part overdone!

25. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    'This party's over!'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.