main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST STAR WARS: EPISODE VII CAST ANNOUNCED

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ManaByte, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    But there is a lot of people who did not grow up with Han, people who only grew up with the Prequel era I, II, III and TCW (so Han means nothing to them) the only constant in all Star Wars Canon is Skywalker.

2. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    Then that means they didn't grow up with Anakin's children either.

I think they'd be missing opportunities to have different relationships and people draw into the main series. The Skywalkers will be there, but in order to keep the name you either have to supply sons for every male Skywalker or have every daughter pass her name onto her children. And this may be my blackness talking, but following the name pretty much guarantees that they won't want to alter too much their protagonists' appearance by adding an Indonesian-like mother in the mix or something.

Keeping strictly to this idea that the Skywalker line must be followed kills a lot of creativity. So it's best that they build more names as early as possible. To throw some options in the mix.

3. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I remember somewhat persistent early rumours that everyone and their dog would be a Skywalker in TPM. The only one those rumours guessed correctly on most occasions was Pernilla.

I can certainly see the Skywalkers being very important in the sequels which may well thematically be the 'Legacy of the Skywalkers' or something... but I remain to be convinced that we need anyone more than Luke in these movies with the actual name. He may have kids but it isn't essential IMHO.

jere7my likes this.
  4. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I was not talking about the story I was talking about the importance of the Skywalker's name to Disney's wallet ($$$). Look I was looking at it only from a business perspective (which is for me a ruthless/uncaring/unbiased look at things) Disney would be stupid to end the Skywalker name with Luke.

TKT, JunoSynth, T-R- and 1 other person like this.
  5. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Something about the sheer size of the cast. It's a very large cast who that didn't have a gratuitous casting call. In other words, no Sam Jackson because he wanted to be in it or an A-lister like DiCaprio, Oldman, or Day-Lewis just because. It's apparent that they cast to complete the story. The only POSSIBLE exception is Nyong'o but I doubt that was the reason for her casting.

That means that they got exactly who they wanted for the type of role and screentime they needed and for long-term possibilities (meaning they have a general idea who they need for Eps 8 and possibly 9).

6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I, for one, am hoping Leia doesn't have the last name "Solo." I don't care if she's married to Han or not, but if she is, I'd like to see her retain her name. No real reason, and it's not something I'm "hung up on" as respects real life. It's just a "wish" for her character in Star Wars (and perhaps, a teeny tiny bit, that once a female gets married in the GFFA, she tends to become more "the Mrs.")

7. Summers1913

Summers1913 Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2014
    Organa or Skywalker.....?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Shrugs...don't care. But the default is female taking male name (personally I like the Organa-Solo) and in the GFFA, it seems the women start off strong, end up the adjunct (somewhat of an exaggeration, but only somewhat). I want to see Leia, not Mrs. Solo/"mom" Solo.

9. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014

I doubt anyone would call her anything but "Leia", regardless her last name.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  10. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    WHY didn't I think of that?

No, really, I mean - of course I didn't mean what characters called her. I meant how her character is portrayed.

11. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    We're now at 26,666 percent women out of the confirmed actors. A bit better.
    A bit.

12. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    On the subject of last names, Padmé never adopted the name Skywalker. For obvious reasons of secrecy, but still...
    I, too, hope that Leia retains her own name without throwing "Solo" into the mix. I imagine that she'd stay with Organa to honor her parents.

13. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Why did Luke keep the Skywalker name while living with his aunt and uncle? Luke Lars sounds weird, true...

14. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Owen and Beru might've used it in memory of Shmi.

Dak Oolron and Bail B. Baobab like this.
  15. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
  16. ForgottennJedi1986

ForgottennJedi1986 Jedi Padawan star 1

May 12, 2014
  17. Summers1913

Summers1913 Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2014
    I really hope this isn't true. And I have a hard time believing it is because I see absolutely no resemblance to Leia. If you wanted someone who looked like Leia you could find one. I don't think this is that person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Claire1976 likes this.
  18. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    That would be awful to have a flashback with a recast anybody. Nothing takes me out of a movie more than a recast in the middle of a series. Especially if the REAL actor is already in the film. I can undrstand maybe if somebody dies mid-filming, but this would seem entirely unnecessary.

Additionally, I would hate to have a flashback at all in a Star Wars movie. Would seem to interrupt the pacing, and likely lead to the inclusion of ridiculous "slow motion". (These thoughts are based on no actual fact, but just my suspicions and personal distaste of these effects). I would hope they would be able to tell a compelling story without having to visually show the audience what happened in the past.

19. ForgottennJedi1986

May 12, 2014
    Don't speak too soon..lol..they could just CGI a young Carrie face on her, I can hear the screaming already :p . If it's true, this is huge and a total game changer for what we think we know of the film and the cast. Not to mention flashbacks will be a first and if it's going to be done, it will be of plot driving importance.

20. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Flashbacks are not Star Wars.

But some sort of flow-walking style Force vision or dream? Not impossible.

21. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Ugh...please no flashbacks. That would be awful for Star Wars.

But seeing that the report came from the Daily Mail, I'm not putting too much stock in that story. Now, if more reliable sources pick it up, then I'll be worried.

EDIT: Just saw their 'source' came from The Sun...not buying it.

22. ForgottennJedi1986

May 12, 2014
    True but they are better than LR and even they claimed she had a cameo a week before that, she has been rumored for about a month. She has been rumored more than once. JJ played with the time-line in Star Trek and made an AU (some hate it/some love it). If it's true I doubt it will turn into an AU film but set up plot devices and that's it. Not to mention the huge cast and we have no idea who is playing who or what besides rumors. I guess we just have to wait and see.

23. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm not denying that she will be in the film, that one seems to be a given, considering recent tweets and reports that we've seen. I just edited my post above to reflect the fact that the 'source' from the above article is indeed The Sun, which I consider to be the lowest of the low in terms of credible sources. With that said, I really don't believe she will be playing a younger Princess Leia or that there will be flashbacks. I think these tabloid sites are simply looking for another way to stir the pot after a slow weekend. I think we'll be looking more along the lines of the cameo/minor role the other sites have been mentioning.

24. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    If you cast a young Princess Leia, then you may need to cast a young Han or even a young Luke which I am not sure will work.

25. ForgottennJedi1986

May 12, 2014
    I gotcha, I don't care for the idea/concept in Star Wars either

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.