main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars Episode VII coming out in Dec 2015?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Well, I didn't say which Thursday...

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Don't you ruin the Annie song for me!

3. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Great now I have to listen to Pin Ups.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  4. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998

No, like I said I think he was just mistakingly repeating rumors which have been circulating for months. This is purly speculation on my part, but I'd be willing to bet he saw a presentation of CY 2015 Star Wars merchandising and just put two and two together. Christmas merchandising is going to be enormous for Disney. I've heard rumblings of a fairly big tie in video game which will coincide with the home video release.

Yancy

5. TheTwinSuns

TheTwinSuns Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2013
    Is it Battlefront? 'Cause that one has already been announced.

6. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008

Okay, I have a question. When Disney released the marketing plan at the licensing expo why didn't it list a Fall release for the DVD? That's a pretty big thing to leave off on their plans.

7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I have no problem with December however late 2015 could easily be November ......& I doubt EP 8 will stay in December it would probably move to Summer 2018 .

8. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    They also left off the rollout of Marvel and Star Wars characters for Disney Infinity... That's going to be a huge push in 2015. As for why no mention of a home video release, well you don't even have a release date for Episode VII... Maybe it does get pushed back. You always give yourself an out this early in the game. But the powers that be are proceeding as if it's a Summer 2015 release.

I can tell you flat out from people I've talked to directly in marketing... There's one film out there that Disney wants no business competing with, and it's not Man of Steel 2... It's a little movie coming out November 2015, starring a certain British secret agent. That film will be a behemoth and has the potential to completely suck the life out of the box office during the Holidays.

Yancy

9. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    And in other news, Disney announced today that they have demoted Dennis Barbie to janitor, where he will continue making valuable contributions to the corporation....

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Do the release date shuffle, folks! Yad ta da tittly da yay!

11. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998

I've heard two rumors what it might be... One could be exciting, the other... Doubt it will draw much interest here.

Rumor #1) Star Wars 1313, but retooled to tie in to either some OT adventure with Han and Chewie, or used as a tie in to Episode VII. The only reason I think there may be some veracity to this was one of the Obi Wants To Know Me surveys about video games from May asked an awful lot of questions about 1313, and if it were reimagined what characters would you like to see.

Rumor #2 Not terribly exciting, but a huge expansion of Disney Infinity featuring Star Wars characters and vehicles.

Oh, and an Episode VII tie in game, but that's a given.

But the safe money is on Rumor #2.

Yancy

JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  12. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Both of your "rumors" there are all but common sense. Fans wanted (and still want) 1313 badly. The voices for it have been loud. you can totally expect it to see new life.

Your second "rumor" has already been said by an Infinity dev that they have been in discussions to bring in Marvel and Star Wars characters.

13. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    Right, and 2015 makes perfect sense with the release of both Avenger 2 and Episode VII. It's certainly no big secret Disney is putting their eggs in the Infinity basket big time.

Yancy

14. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    Episode VII : Release date Wed the 9th or Friday the 11th 2015 =

1. A great compromise date between Bob Iger & Kathleen Kenney / JJ Abrams
    2. Competition = Alvin & the chipmonks 4 & Warcraft on the 18th ( not much completion really )
    3. Release some toys ( ltd editions ) in November & then full scale on release date well in time for Christmas
    4. December has traditionally been box office gold with the likes of Titanic , Avatar & The Lord of the Rings / Hobbit
    5. $2 Billion Worldwide is on the cards
    6. Spin off Movie could come late summer 2016 or November
    7. EP8 could still hit summer 2017

Diggs likes this.
  15. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    PS......Interesting fact :

Mission Impossible 1 , 2 & 3 were all released in May ,

Mission Impossible 4 was released in December & has the highest worldwide total on the franchise by quite a bit..............

16. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    That's cuz MI:4 was a lot of fun. That aside, the holiday movie season is a big deal. Not quite like summer, but it does do well.

17. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Gallandro - it makes no sense to go up against Bond, although both films would be huge even against each other. December makes more sense.

18. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    I've heard Rumor #2 as well. Just backing you up on that. They want to tie it into the Rebels Season One BD release and the Ep7 BD release. Rebels and Ep7 figures and playsets for Infinity 3 (Infinity 2 is fall 2014). It'll print money.

19. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    I have never understood the financial and commercial success part of Star Wars fandom. I want a well made film, if it takes 6 more months to do so, great but I don't care for the box office context nor am I rooting for a less competitive slot for it to make a profit.

If you do, fine, I don't have a problem with it. I just don't get it really.

20. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Isn't Avatar 2 coming out in December 2015?

21. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I heard it was moved to 2016

22. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    2. That we know of so far, but there are also rumors of Kung Fu Panda 3 hitting screens at that time, also Finding Dory (the sequel to Finding Nemo is slated for Thanksgiving 2015). Studios are still compiling their release schedules for 2015, so this is not quite as easy a schedule as you are making it out.

3. Versus big toy release in early May 2015 to tie in with the film release and another major merchandising push in late 2015 to tie into the home video release. Every investor on that board is going to choose that option versus the option you proposed.

4. Kind of... throw Titanic and Avatar out as they are both outliers and each benefited from relatively weak box office competition that year. I suggest you look at these comparisons:

Holiday box office - http://boxofficemojo.com/seasonal/?chart=byseason&season=Holiday&view=releasedate

Summer box office - http://boxofficemojo.com/seasonal/?chart=byseason&season=Summer&view=releasedate

Look at the monetary differences between the winner of the Holiday box office versus Summer, it's quite dramatic. The reality is there is simply less available dollars for studios to make at that time because kids are still in school, except the week of Thanksgiving and toward the end of the year, plus you are also competing with the Christmas holiday itself... people just go to the movies less during the Holidays than they do during summer because people are using their money to buy at Christmas.

5. No it's not. Even with great word of mouth and a great film, I suspect the most that could be milked out of a Star Wars film at the box office is around $1.4-1.5 billion domestically/internationally... maybe 1.6 tops. People like to use comparisons like Titanic and Avatar, but like I said before both films benefited from cushy release schedules and Avatar had one other bonus... being one of the first made for 3-D film releases. People went to that film in droves for that experience.

Yancy

23. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Star Wars Infinity is an excuse to print money. It will rake it in.

I still don't buy the idea that Star Wars won't rake it in whenever it's released though, and xmas films, be they Avatar, Potter or Rings have all smashed at the box office. OK, Avatar, had the 3D hook, VII will be have the Star Wars hook, which is not to be sniffed at.

24. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    The success of movies in the summer vs holiday could be a result of the actual movies that are released during those times. In other words, if any of the movies which dominated the box office in any given summer were released in December, how much less money would they make? (Dark Knight, Avengers, etc-would they have lost that much money?)

Star Wars could easily be one of those "outliers" like Avatar, LOTR, or Titanic. The weekday grosses wouldn't be as high as the summer, but there would/could be more weekends with high gross in the long term.

Diggs likes this.
  25. TheStorm

TheStorm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 8, 2002

I agree with most of that. Number 6 I don't think so. I think that this will be a (possible) one time Winter Star Wars, the rest will move to May, so I figure May 2017 will be the date for Episode VIII. Since pre-production on that will probably start in 2014, that is if they use different directors which I'm betting they will for each one.

Number 2, I actually think Universal will move Warcraft if Episode VII lands in December, they want a new franchise and SW will swallow most things whole. So I figure if they announce that date it's possible that Universal will move Warcraft. Other than that not much competition at all.

That and December will probably allow it to make even more money that in it would if released in May of 2015, because it would have legs for a few months. It would not have any massive competition comparably.

EDIT: As for the money it will make? I see 1.5 billion as a minimum, and 2 billion plus as a max. That is of course that this is good. I think a comeback story ordeal will get lots of the audiences running back to see the grand return of SW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.