main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Star Wars Episode VII-IX - What are Your Biggest Fears?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by dolphin, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Jabba the Pizza

Jabba the Pizza Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2015
    Also lucas said less talk-more fight. Is he out of his mind? Is he gonna make this transformers or 2001: A space oddysey!?

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    He was probably planning to make it more like that Star Wars series, which he always, always, always described as a "visuals foremost" style of storytelling.

bstnsx704 likes this.
  3. Jabba the Pizza

Apr 16, 2015
    I hope, but still dont want constant huge explosions 70% CGI, honestly scale models look muuch better!

Dewback, James T Kirk and smoothkaz like this.
  4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    o_O

5. Jabba the Pizza

Apr 16, 2015
    Its a joke because he directed star trek

6. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    The films limiting themselves by not using CGI.

7. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    I don't necessarily agree. Sometimes, limitations can result in greater creativity. And I am of the opinion that CGI should only be used when there is no other way to convincingly portray something. I love the prequels, but I'm happy to see the direction TFA is going effects-wise. I'm more worried about them intentionally limiting themselves story-wise.

8. bigtukker

Sep 22, 2012
    That's what I meant with emphasis on "storywise"

9. Jabba the Pizza

Apr 16, 2015
    CGI should be used in some scenes. And please! No green screen for planets! That will look totaly horrible!

10. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    What do you mean no green screen for planets? Green screen is merely a tool used to insert something into the background. A computer generated image, a matte painting, other footage, etc.

Ewok Poet and Saga Explorer like this.
  11. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I carefully read through article about the appearance at Celebration Anaheim where J.J. Abrams said, "
    “It’s ‘Star Wars’ — there are going to be an endless number of effects, CG and otherwise,” Abrams said. “But we needed to set a standard that was real, that felt like you knew those people were in those places.”
    I fear the anti-CGI crowd having too much influence in the public opinion ratings. "No green screen for planets." What's the difference between that another tool used to show a planet. You're very unlikely to see matte paintings on glass anymore. Star Wars movies are distinctively state-of-art, whatever that may be at the time. Unfortunately that was done to make the Special Editions and some things in the prequels, thus making Star Wars fans more nervous about CGI appearing at all whereas they crave it in every other movie. I hope people aren't going to sit there picking apart effects shots like "hey this isn't like the movies were made in 1977 and 1980. That's a ________ kind of shot. I thought they said it was only going to have puppets, animatronics, matte paintings, and sets and props!" These aren't the prequels and the alterations to existing films.
    I fear more confusion among fans and trying not to argue about something that seems so obvious. On another messageboard I got so frustrated with people who thought Darth Maul force-blocked Obi-Wan when he made what was a clearly a fake out lunge at him to help Qui-Gon take a swing at him. I also fear something controversial getting all the media attention, kind of like when Jar Jar and the Neimoidians were considered racial stereotypes, but now in the age of news outlets desperate to make the "trending" news column, that kind of thing would be turned into a huge mess.

12. James T Kirk

James T Kirk Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 22, 2015

Yup. Not my biggest fear, but I am very worried that one of the OT characters is gonna get a heroes (or shock) death. Let them ride of into the sunset please, this is SW dang it!!

I would say that my biggest fear is that these films are going to create a larger rift between EU/Legends fans, PT fans and OT fans.

13. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Visually it looks great so far and I am not afraid about the story, because they know they can't screw it up but.. so far we get planets too similar to what we have already seen: Tatooine, Endor, Hoth...
    I am hoping for some creativity in the planet creating department... Mustafar, Bespin, Utapau, Kamino.. I want worlds like these!

14. Jabba the Pizza

Apr 16, 2015
  15. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    THIS
    I do not want Tatooine 0.9 , Hoth 2.0 , Endor 1.5 etc.
    "Lived in places" :rolleyes:
    And the Sequel Trilogy should be pushing things in terms of designs,effects and story ... not going back .

DBPirate and Chris_Fives like this.
  16. bigtukker

Sep 22, 2012
    Comparing the ~30 year progress between AOTC and ROTJ and ROTJ and TFA, they didn't seem to have achieved a lot in the latter years.

17. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
  18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Maybe the galaxy has been in a permanent state of war, leading to less funds to design new weapons?
    Between AOTC and ROTJ, the Republic, and then the Empire was in control, with almost unlimited resources. If the political state of the galaxy has changed, and no faction is in complete control - maybe even with large parts of the galaxy wanting nothing to do with either - the technology has been forced to take a back seat.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  19. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    The first six movies have a beginning and end and feels complete. They seem to mirror each other fine. I'm worried that this trilogy won't be a natural fit. Just an add-on.

DBPirate and Saga Explorer like this.
  20. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    To be fair, the forest Kylo Ren is in (in the first teaser) looks fairly original. Sure, we've had forest planets before, but there's something odd about the atmosphere there that feels unique to whatever planet that is

Heh, maybe we'll finally see a planet that's not limited to one single biome

21. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Ric Olie: The planet is composed of a variety of landmasses and biomes. It even has seasons!

22. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    I've already seen some great points being raised, though I'm not really afraid of anything, I only have this little wish: I hope they don't bring back the Sith. As I understand, their lineage was broken at the end of RotJ and whatever threat is rising in TFA, please don't resurrect the Sith. It would be a terrible cop-out in my view, there's a slim chance that they'll find a way to explain how their knowledge was passed down from Sidious or Vader, but I'm doubtful. One could possibly argue the same thing about the Jedi, but at least their knowledge was passed down from Yoda to Luke. Being a user of dark or light side does not make one a Sith or a Jedi.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  23. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Kylo Ren found Sith holocron and have built his own order[face_thinking]

24. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    A fear: I hope there's nothing in the movie that gets answered with "well if you read the novelization/the books/comics/play the videogame that set before/between the events of the movie(s), you'll know why." Likewise I hope the good stuff isn't saved for novels or later TV series that are set between episodes.

25. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Isn't this the truth! After seeing ROTS, I read the novelization, which was pretty decent and showed some great scenes that should've gotten some screen time (like the genesis of the Rebellion for starters!). I imagine those things really did happen when the camera wasn't looking. I enjoyed ROTS, read the novelization, enjoyed it even more watching it again. I don't plan on reading anything beforehand, but the Dark Side might tempt me to read "Aftermath." My only hesitation is, I'll never know how it would've been like if I read that novel, then see the movie...or see the movie, then read the novel.