main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Star Wars Episode VII-IX - What are Your Biggest Fears?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by dolphin, Mar 20, 2015.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This thread would be so much better without as many random drive-by "PT debate" references.

2. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    It's inevitable, you, like your followers, are now MINE! [evil cackle]

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Fear leads to the dark side. So I'm trying to be optimistic that this will be better.

I mean. The best Star Wars that has come out IMHO are the the tv series. Both AOTC and Rebels are quite entertaining IMHO even though they mess up some of the "canon" story points. E.G. Jedi being wiped out. Limits of the Force, etc.

3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Maybe... While I generally enjoyed them, my gripe with the new Star Trek movies was that they played too loosely with the Rules of the universe. You can teleport onto a spaceship in hyperspace etc.

I know JJ can tell a good yarn, and he can make characters that are relatable, and that's 90% of the work done, but don't have me coming out of the theatre anally grumbling "But they can't do that!"

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  4. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015

I'm sort of the opposite.
    Time for new stories, fresh faces.
    I want Han on his porch, drinking a beer with Lando and Chewie. Playing cards and laughing about the good old days. He chucks the keys to the Falcon to his kid. "Fill the gas tank when you're done, and don't scratch it okay?". Cameo done.

Lazy K likes this.
  5. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002

No Time travel paradoxes! PLEASE.

Don't use time travel. Don't change the story or meaning of the story from the saga.

There's so much fear in me, I think I'm ready to turn Sith!

I agree I also don't want to come out of it saying "It was great but they can't do that!"

6. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    I mean that I will be hard pressed to watch another SW movie. That being said, the comic con behind the scenes footage from yesterday looked good and I am feeling pretty good about it. :)

7. Darknight27

Darknight27 Jedi Youngling

Jul 12, 2015
    My biggest fear is that this new trilogy does not continue the story of the Skywalker bloodline barring Luke.

DBPirate and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  8. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Biggest fear? Bashing and ignoring the Prequels.

DBPirate and Jedi knight Pozzi like this.
  9. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    If there's one thing we can count on 100% is that there will be Bashing.

Even if it's an enjoyable film it will get some backlash:

- Because it pander to the EU
    - Because it ignored the EU
    - Because it looks too much like the OT
    - Because it doesn't look like the OT
    - Because of the acting
    - In-spite of the acting
    - The story
    - The photography
    - The SFX
    - The sound design
    - Too much time spent on the old/new characters
    - Not enough time spent on the old/new characters
    - Character X dies
    - Character X survives
    - Cheesy
    - Not cheesy enough

... I think you get the point...

10. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    Well, this is a much bigger fear of mine now that Abrams has said he considers the originals more canon than the prequels...

11. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Another big fear: If the new characters are just randoms and not the children of the Skywalker family. [removed]

Mod edit: That last part was getting a little too close to being a spoiler.

12. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    That is 100% correct:D

DARTH_BELO and Jedi knight Pozzi like this.
  13. SpeederBikeGirl

SpeederBikeGirl Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2015
    My biggest fear..other than setting unrealistic expectations....is that there are too many people in the cast of Episode VII. I'm really pleased that the original trilogy cast are back and have to admit I wouldn't be that excited about the film if they weren't in it...but aside from Luke, Han and Leia, we also have Finn, Rey, Poe, plus Adam Driver, Gwendoline Christie, Domhall Gleeson, Andy Serkis, Lupita Nyong'o, plus Chewie, C3P0, R2D2. Will this take away from the file with so many people competing for screen time/audience affections? Also, will the presence of the original cast, with whom many fans already have an emotional attachment, make it harder for the new characters (seems like Finn, Rey and Poe are the three principal leads) to win over the audience, as they will inevitably be compared to Luke, Han and Leia even if their characters are quite different? If the new characters don't connect with the majority of the audience and the original cast are not in Episodes 8 and 9 (I don't want to know the answer to this as I am trying to remain spoiler free!) will there be a big emotional let-down for Episode 8?

My other main fear for Star Wars generally is I feel that there are now going to be too many new films. Many fans may love the idea of a new Star Wars film - whether part of the new trilogy or a spin-off - every year until 2019 is a great thing but I don't. Milking the franchise dry because Disney want to squeeze every last penny out of every fan they think will go and see something with the words Star Wars in the title really annoys me. Personally, I don't see any need for the spin-off films and they don't really interest me. I am also concerned Disney may try to expand the films beyond that and we end up with prequels to the new trilogy and more spin off films and instead of a Star Wars film being something special that only comes along once in a while they will end up being films of diminishing quality that are churned out every year until they stop making a profit.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  14. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

Yes. Yes I do.

And I concur, most whole-heartedly, with these points.

Oh yes,

There WILL be bashing.....

(Simon Pegg seems to have kicked it off pretty well already...) [face_whistling]

Jedi knight Pozzi likes this.
  15. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    My biggest fear is that the new films will be overdone, like so many films today. i.e. The Hobbit

Forbidden Island likes this.
  16. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    That quote is a bit misunderstood. Something can't be "more canon" than another. "Canon" is a term which is VERY often misused. He's never said that they're being treated as exclusively canon. The point of his statement is they're going more off of that because it's much more recent in terms of in-universe developments

Even if a filmmaker doesn't like a certain entry in a series, a good one will do their best to maintain continuity. Stallone hated Rocky V, but there are still references to it in the last movie

17. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002

Overdone?

As in, too long?,

It would be very difficult to compare TFA to The Hobbit, because we have had "The Hobbit" book for many decades before the movies were made. How would you know that TFA has been overdone when we haven't had decades to read and understand the story and how it fits within the "canon" of Middle Earth.

18. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The action scenes are too big, excessive action scenes, too many action scenes, stuff like that.

19. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    The Pace of the film.

Too slow, vs. too much action.

Too much expositions vs. Too much jumping around and getting lost

One thing I was thinking about is if JJ will keep the "style" e.g. The swipe transitions, opening crawl, ending credit roll, end montage, old/used/dirty style on armor/ships

I mention this as in the trailer some things about the "style" and look of things is different than the OT and PT. Not worse just different. Maybe it will make it better but we will have to wait and see.

Hyrum_Solo likes this.
  20. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I'm somewhat concerned with the fact that this seems to be "Han's movie." He's featured most prominently in the (little) we've seen released and Ford has gotten pretty much the most press. While, -don't get me wrong- I love Han and I'm thrilled to have Ford back, I hope this doesn't mean Luke & Leia takes a backseat for most of the movie.

I think it all boils down to this misguided "Hey, remember when Star Wars was cool? Lookit Han Solo!" marketing Disney is doing, coupled with Abrams obsessive compulsion to keep 97% of the script under wraps. But I know my biggest hope for the ST was "The Further Adventures of Luke Skywalker"

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Han getting the bulk of episode 7 means Luke and Leia get nothing in Episode's 8 and 9? o_O

22. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I would hope all three get about the same screentime. That's pretty much how it was in the OT. (I guess, Luke got a bit more time than the others in ANH to be fair)

23. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    My biggest fear is that they'll mirror the OT too much, to the point where it hurts the story.

DBPirate and Forbidden Island like this.
  24. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002

I was just thinking the same thing.

Will Luke and Leia be limited to glorified cameos, and a few lines. Probably important lines but that they won't be too much in the movie.

25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I too fear this to an extent. But for all we know, they may have big roles, and continue to have big roles in Ep8 & Ep9.