main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Star Wars Episode VII-IX - What are Your Biggest Fears?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by dolphin, Mar 20, 2015.

1. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015
    I'm afraid it'll be a good movie, but not a "Star Wars" movie. Per se.

I'm super nit-picky so of course this would be my fear. I have nearly 100% confidence that JJ and his team will put out something great. Will it have the Star Wars tone/pace? That I'm not so sure of.

Forbidden Island likes this.
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm just here to compliment you on your awesome avatar!

3. ChewieWe'reHome

Aug 25, 2015

Thank you very much! On Google Images, it was the funniest result under "Chewie We're Home".

4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
  5. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    That there will be too much action and not enough story.

Forbidden Island likes this.
  6. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    Han and Leia won't be married. [face_nail_biting]

7. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    The whole list is just bs imo .

Seagoat and TigerCraneFist like this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    While I don't care whether they are married or not, I certainly want them to be a couple!

9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Explain. How is it bs? In your own opinion, was Christensen's performance of Anakin at least respectable? Because I certainly think so. And what about Jar Jar and the Gungans? You think they have a place in the post-ROTJ universe?

10. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I'm hoping that Luke's role is cool enough that they're keeping it under wraps to save it for the movie. There are pictures of Han and Leia that circulated pretty easily, but one (spoilers) of Luke got pulled down REAL quickly.

Dark Lady Mara and Sarge like this.
  11. Saga Explorer

Mar 14, 2015
    I found Christensen's acting as Anakin Skywalker great and while Gungans don't need to be shoehorned into the ST , if the story asks for them so be it , eitherway I like them . (they are not racist btw )
    As for the other points : - midichlorians don't demystify the force
    -CGI wasn't overused
    -Star Wars is as much for kids as for adults

Obi-John Kenobi likes this.
  12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Christensen gave a forgettable performance. He was better when he didn't have to say anything. The midichlorians were an invention only for the prequel trilogy. Not once were they EVER mentioned anywhere in the OT. Talk about continuity issues. The CGI in the PT was overkill. You might have argued it could've passed off as an animated movie.

13. Saga Explorer

Mar 14, 2015
    ... in your opinion

14. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Can we... not start a PT vs OT war in this thread? It would be a nice change from everyday life in Star Wars fandom.

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

That's right. Let's just keep it at the usual Filoni/Ahsoka haters vs. defenders.

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  16. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Whatever you say.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  18. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002

DITTO!

I like Han's character as much as the next guy. But I always found Luke more interesting, more flawed, with more emotional daddy issues ;)

19. ChewieWe'reHome

Aug 25, 2015
    I'm back with another fear: Abrams's patented "witty bickering"

I think this is as much a staple of his as "lens flare" is. In Abrams Star Trek 1 & 2, Kirk, Spock, Uhura, and Bones all particularly bicker among themselves a large majority of the movie. At first this seems like a good sign considering Luke, Han, and Leia all bickered plenty of times in the OT.

What worries me is that Abrams, in my opinion, forgets to grow character relationships within the "bicker, bicker, bicker". There are emotional scenes between the Star Trek cast members, but they don't feel warranted following the precedent of complete hostility to one another.

Anyone else feel this way?

20. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I get what you mean, but I actually have a thought that efforts to that respect will go a long way to bringing back that nostalgic fondness we have for all of that which we saw in the OT. Although one of my "fears" is that this film will go too far to copy the look and feel of the OT too closely, I think it's great that JJ focuses on the witty banter, especially since we're going to be seeing those same characters again. The fact that this is 30 years later doesn't mean they won't still bicker. Heck, I have been happily married for 12 years and my wife and I still "bicker" ALL the time-but we don't see it as toxic to the relationship-just as a part of life...

That said, I had a thought about another "fear" regarding TFA. It's not really a big deal, but I've noticed that all of the aliens/creatures seem to be of a completely new and unfamiliar species. That was something I enjoyed about the saga to date-the continuity of alien species we see. Occasionally something new, but we also see familiar types from episode to episode (even in TCW and Rebels.) Everything we've seen so far for TFA looks new. EVERYTHING. Now don't get me wrong, it all looks great, but I hope there's an even mix of new and familiar-and they don't try SO hard to make this its own thing that they forget to show the likes of....Rodians, Zabrak, Utapauan, Mon Calamari, Sullustans, dugs, Twileks, the ones from Malastaire (whos names are escaping me at the moment) and other random aliens we know and love.

21. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    From the Comic-Con reel:

[​IMG]

Dark Lady Mara and DARTH_BELO like this.
  22. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    AWESOME!!

I hadn't seen that. Thank you for quelling my "fears..."

Now my excitement level just went up like 5 notches...:-B

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  23. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Well, my biggest fear, since this Sequel Trilogy has been announced in 2012 by Disney and after seeing all the marketing until now, is that the ST will be a recycling of the OT or a pandering to nostalgia. Despite what people can think about the PT, with the PT at least, we had 100% new content and stories and very few nostalgia. But with what we've seen so far with the ST, it seems that it's going to be 100% nostalgia and very few new content or stories...

When someone posted the Star Wars Poetry video on a Armchair Director review facebook page, the admin of this page posted the following comment about Lucas:

I think that this comment tells a lot about what older fans were expecting from the PT: a repetition of the same content as the OT.

But why? Why must we always repeat what has been done in the past? Why can't we innovate on something new? Because it's safer? [face_sigh]

You know, I still want to be positive about the ST, new Star Wars movies, why not? But I would have liked if Lucas was still a little behind sharing his ideas even if they rejected his initial stories for the ST. Think wathever you want about the PT, but Lucas was still being innovative, he always wanted to try something new. People easily forget that even if Empire and Jedi were directed by two different people, Lucas was still behind and was the one who conceived the story for the OT and was still sharing his ideas.

But I still hope my fears are wrong and that I want to be proven wrong when watching Episode VII this December.

DBPirate, Alienware and DARTH_BELO like this.
  24. ChewieWe'reHome

Aug 25, 2015

Repeating "themes, morals, and tones" wouldn't necessarily make it nostalgic pandering. It could potentially descend to that level (hopefully not), but it's still possible that those "themes, morals, and tone" will be used as the building ground for new and original stories.

25. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

Each trilogies is supposed to have its own themes. From what I've heard and non-confirmed rumors, Lucas' plan for each trilogies was the following:

For the Prequel Trilogy (Episodes I, II & III): it's about how the world, the society and politics can change, how a democracy has become a dictatorship and how what was once good has become evil.

For the Original Trilogy (Episodes IV, V & VI): it is mainly about the story of the heroes, their journey and redemption. The story about the indestructible good against evil.

For the Sequel Trilogy (Episodes VII, VIII & IX):
    it is supposed to delve into the philosophy and the nature of the force, its light side and its dark side.