main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars Episode VII novelization

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Revanfan1, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, this thread has a few complimentary opinions:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...ctive-special-the-approaching-storm.29854881/

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015

From outside these boards. Haha. I don't remember specifics, but I heard that people liked it.

3. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The original complaint was that Stover wasn't writing the novelization. No one else would do, apparently.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Just talking off the cuff here, but I noticed the stigma against The Approaching Storm seemed to proliferate tenfold after Rogue1-and-a-half 's eloquent review in his Journey Through the EU thread a few years back. That might be just my imagination, but I didn't see people talking about the novel with any strong opinions before that.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Iron_lord like this.
  5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Tenfold? Wow. I should really use my power to sway public opinion in some more significant way. :p

BigAl6ft6 and Cheerios4u98 like this.
  6. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I read The Approaching Storm a few months ago. While overall not my favorite, I really did appreciate the presentation of Anakin and Barriss' relationship. I posted this after reading it a few months ago:

Just came across this in Approaching Storm, from Anakin ' POV in reference to Barriss:
    And then the kicker, from Barriss:

Poor Barriss has to see Anakin get knighted and get a padawan, and after fighting and leading for years in the Wars, she's still not knighted. No wonder she got bitter against the Jedi. Do wish we could see some more of her and Luminara as we approach the tipping point, TCW era.

While clearly not foreseen when the book was being written, the relationship between Anakin and Barriss in this novel makes the end of TCW more heartbreaking - and believable in hindsight. The events of this book, to a general extent, and more specifically when it comes to this dialogue, I think are finding their way into my headcanon. It actually compliments TCW Bariss very well, and makes her better, IMO.

7. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014

It does seem like there was more OT music, but there was some PT music in Rebels as well. I picked up 'Shmi and Qui-Gon Talk' translated into 'All for Fruit' from Star Wars Rebels. Music from 'Escape from Naboo' was used when the Ghost Crew do their infiltration missions in 'Rise of the Old Masters' and 'Fire Across the Galaxy' and a motif from Episode III 'Anakin's Dark Deeds' is used for the end of 'Rebel Resolve'.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't Duel of the Fates used in FATG?

9. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014

Perhaps, the music during the duel between Kanan and the Inquisitor certainly evoked the feeling of Duel of Fates, but I didn't hear where it sounded the same. All I picked out was the Inquisitor's theme and that is Kiner's original work.

10. Cheerios4u98

Mar 4, 2015
    Can I just point out my absolute favorite part of Foster's A New Hope novelization?
    I just read this book again last week and I burst out laughing when I read that part.

11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    well, that's what happens when you don't know what a duck is

BigAl6ft6, Revanfan1 and Eternal_Jedi like this.
  12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    so what a goose?:p

13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yowtch. That's a nasty passage, in-context.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014

At least it's from Luke's perspective, we could chalk it up to his naivety at this point. Obi-Wan probably spent years thinking about that conversation too.

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  15. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

"Oh dear, I've got to make Revenge of the Sith sound convincing..."

Ulicus and JLG like this.
  16. Cheerios4u98

Mar 4, 2015
    The point was that immediately after the narrator says Obi-wan won't lie to Luke, Obi-wan lies to Luke. I lol'd. There was no other meaning behind the quote I posted other than that.

17. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    #retcon

18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    third person limited, unreliable narration

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What Han does to Leia.

Cracian_Thumper and LosDosMos like this.
  20. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    The A New Hope novelization is third person omniscient, not limited. On the very page that quote is from (p94 in my edition), you get inside both Luke and Obi-wan's head (and then Luke's head again) without a POV shift.

Revanfan1 and Cheerios4u98 like this.
  21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    oh snap

Lucas lied to us, or ADF!

22. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    It doesn't say Obi-Wan wouldn't lie, it just says he couldn't take refuge in a comfortable lie. So he takes refuge in an uncomfortable lie instead.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Tricksy, using certain points of view even with his lies!

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Really hoping for this:

Finn asked Skywalker, "What's a duck?"
    "Beats me," Luke shrugged.