main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars Episode VII novelization

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Revanfan1, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, it's not entirely subjective. People like different things, but quality isn't just an arbitrary concept.

JediMatteus likes this.
  2. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I didn't say quality. I said awesome. In either case, I'm gonna go with subjective. What measures make quality objective? And even when you are measuring factors that contribute to "quality," you are creating operational definitions that are measurable, which are unavoidably socially constructed. But I digress.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I could name several - or more precisely, I can point to several quality issues with Traviss's books, because it's not like we're talking purely hypothetically here - but honestly, it doesn't really matter. No one ever convinces anyone of something they disagree with on the internet.

To be honest, I regret saying anything in the first place.

4. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    And if it was just that I'd be fine with it. But when that opinion is (Jedi are always wrong) stated by everyone in her books and without any other characters trying to defend another opinion it just comes across as author's voice. The PT Order was flawed, no argument there (I mean they were led by Yoda for how long? of course they stagnated) and the clones were used as tools, that's the tragedy of this conflict. Order 66 should have been really tense toward the buildup, having us wonder who'll make and who won't, how will the commandos feel about turning on their commanders. But the build up was about as exiting as watching paint dry (they walk in and out of two secure facilities and no one bats an eye? yeah the suspense killed me), Order 66 itself is barely shown, barely anyone dies and there's no real conflict of emotions over killing their commanders because Traviss's clones hated the Jedi anyway. She shows the flaws of the Jedi (which is good) but only the flaws, she doesn't want to show the good that Jedi do, only the wrongs. The only Jedi characters in her books who are considered good, moral people are the ones who leave the order to live with the Mandalorians (the irony of showing the Mando'ade as morally superior to everyone else is hilarious - and I say this as a Mandalorian fan). Plus, as mentioned above I'm really weirded out by the fact that all her female characters end up marrying the clones. If you want we can continue the discussion via PMs since I don't want to derail this thread anymore.

5. The Wampa Lover

The Wampa Lover Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 6, 2014
    Well, to sorta put this back on track, like a couple others said the novel will most likely be written by Foster (because of episode IV and the Star Trek novelizations) or Stover. I would prefer Zahn, but that might keep him too busy on writing a ST-era novel, which would be great.

quinlan solo likes this.
  6. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Personally I'd prefer for Stover to write this. I just like his style and what he did with ROTS.

TKT likes this.
  7. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    ...I think I read that wrong. :p

8. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Eh, discussing books via PMs aren't nearly as fun. But agreed: this thread has been thoroughly derailed. Another Traviss thread, maybe? Maybe something like "a reevaluation 5 years later"? I fully recognize that might be a terrible idea.

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, I think he'd absolutely kill an Episode VII novel! :D

Especially if the rumors of Luke having lost absolute control of his powers and having to meditate at all times to keep himself from hurting someone to be true. I think Stover would write something like that wonderfully.

TKT likes this.
  10. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    thanks, now I got pictures in my head =D=

11. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I posted this in another, similar thread, but my best guess is JJM. Del Rey loves him. Fans love him. He does a great job and is reliable. I think Stover fessed up that he perennially missed deadlines...or something like that (that being said, love Stover's work and would be thrilled to see more). JJM has also done movie adaptation work before connected to LFL...the Indy 4 comic book, correct? Plus, he's already done a tie-in to the Rebels show, so he has another insider connection there.

My back up best guess is another big name fantasy author, like they did for TPM.

*added edit: I also fully plan to get it and read it before the movie release, assuming the novelization will come first.

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Stover's quote:

DarthStymi likes this.
  13. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    JJM's Indy 4 comic adaptation was absolutely terrible, though. Maybe that's not his fault since it was only two issues. But his fault or not it's a stinker.

14. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I'm not a defender of all things JJM (I thought AND was decent...he's done better, IMO).

But, perhaps terrible move = terrible comic adaptation?

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Easiest way for Stover to do a SW book, LFL does a Bowie strategy.

Stover writes the book, he finishes the book, then LFL turn around and say: Hey look!

And the Lit forum dies in shock!

Zorrixor, TKT and Dante1120 like this.
  16. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Also jumping on the Stover bandwaggon, if anyone can wake up the Force and do it justice in NEU, its him. Otherwise, Luceno or JJM might be good choices.

TKT likes this.
  17. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    [obvious]So that's why the Winds of Winter are taking so long![/obvious]

18. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    They broke their fast on space-aurochs (shaak?) stew and freshly brewed caf in Cantina at the Crossroads.

19. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    I would love a JJM novel prequel to TFA about Boyega's character

20. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I'd love Stover to do it but they've never had the an author do 2 adaptations before so that (plus his above quote) makes it unlikely.

Maybe JJM? Luceno I'd save for the Episode IX adaptation. His NJO finale The Unifying Force was pretty close to perfection and if he could bring that to the adaptation of the final chapter of the Skywalker Saga it would be a dream come true.

21. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I'd be more than happy with JJM.

22. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Stover is the best novelization writer.

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Watch Stover get the gig and there are like, a handful of deaths total in the whole film. He'll need to make up somehow.

"The dark Sith marched through the forest, brandished his three-pronged blade, and -- commenced to brutally hack down every tree in the forest. None would be spared. Sap spattered everywhere. Stalks on shrubbery were beheaded without abandon. The grisly smell of ozone marked the passing of a venerable pine that had stood for three centuries. Willowy saplings trembled in fear but the Sith Lord showed no mercy."

24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    God willing, we'll all meet again in Sequel Trilogy 2: The Search for More Money.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    Stover or Luceno - in that order :D