main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars Episode VII novelization

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Revanfan1, Nov 21, 2014.

1. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    As much as I love Luceno and Stover, I think it's time to let Tim Zahn do the honors. It was him who revived the franchise back in the early 90ies and thus it would only be fair to let him start the sequel trilogy.

furthermore I'm pretty sure he would/could sneak in Mara Jade and GA Thrawn somewhere *lol*

Iron_lord and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Writing a novel and writing a novelization can be very different beasts. Depending on when the author gets the script it might be a tight deadline (so probably not Stover). And how do we know someone like Zahn wants to novelize something?

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  3. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    we don't know, it was just my opinion

4. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Yes. x1000

5. JechtShotMK9

JechtShotMK9 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 27, 2013
    It's never gonna happen, but I'd want Sean Stewart, based purely on his work with Dark Rendezvous. That man knows how to write an interesting Sith, and keep things hilarious at the same time.

I'd like Zahn, but I'd rather he work on bringing as much of his original content as possible over to the new continuity via his own novels.

Greg Keyes did some good stuff with the New Jedi Order.

While Stover and/or Luceno would be fantastic, I want them to cover the finale.

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    "This is what it feel like to be Poe, forever."

:p

7. JechtShotMK9

JechtShotMK9 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 27, 2013
    Dem feels. I love that book.

Iron_lord and Revanfan1 like this.
  8. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

im was more critical of Kenobi then most, but i still see it as a near top teir Star Wars novel. It was well written for the most part

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

To each their own, man. I won't read this novelization if JJM or TL write it though.

10. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i would but not sure i would read CG or TD

11. demolition18

demolition18 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 15, 2005
    They should have the book like released after the movie. I hope the sequels to Independence Day have novelizations and maybe even comic book adaptions. The Marvel movies having novelizations are junior novels. Maybe with George Lucas selling his company to the Disney Company and the Disney Company owning Marvel Comics Lucas Books should make regular novels to Marvel based movies but not release the regular novels until after the movies.

12. demolition18

demolition18 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 15, 2005
    I hope too they'll have a comic book adaption to the upcoming movie. Also there is expected a junior novel. Maybe even a movie storybook. The novelization could come out after the movie is released. The Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel had novelizations released after the movies.

mes520 likes this.
  13. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    did they announce Troy Denning yet

14. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I want a good novelization of Episode 7, many of us got got spoiled with Stover's excellent Episode 3 novelization.

15. quinlan solo

quinlan solo Jedi Knight

Nov 28, 2012
    Does anyone know when we can expect to hear an announcement on this?

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm really surprised we haven't heard anything yet. They're probably being tight-lipped for a reason... hmmm....

This might also sound crazy, but I wonder if part of the reason they're remaining silent is for the author's welfare. Most of the film novelization authors aren't millionaires like producers and actors who can afford their own security guard for those nutso fans that might break into their home and steal the story plans. Heck, the author probably has more knowledge of the overall story than most of the actors who are only told their specific role to play. Disney might be willing to pay for the author's protection around the time the film's released, but possibly not a year prior.

Of course, this is just my dumb speculation... I'm not sure how much the Disney higher-ups consider these things. The author's gonna get harassed eventually.

17. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    they know the Troy Denning announcement will be controversial and are waiting for the right time to spring it on us

18. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014

That's not crazy at all, it's entirely logical! Disney won't gain anything by announcing the author early (since the TFA frenzy is happening anyway), so they might as well keep their identity under wraps until the novel is imminent.

I'm hopeful that it's Stover or that whoever it is finds inspiration in his ROTS novel. I didn't read that until way after I'd seen the movie and it was still a serious page turner. So, so good.

Barriss_Coffee and Jedi Ben like this.
  19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
  20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You don't need to hope, it's a given that there will be one.

I'd love to say you're both wrong, that no one will act in such a way, but my cynical side says you'll likely be right.

In that respect, where the lunatic fringe is concerned, maybe we should just get our retaliation in first:

They can get lost. Seriously. I don't care how excited a person may be for TFA, if they cannot act responsibly and not bugger it up for everyone else - sod off. SW fandom's better off without them. If that involves any foolish posters here, then the Mods should do unto them as the Death Star did Alderaan.

21. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    Sean Stewart... Matthew Stover... James Luceno. The first for the depth of his characterisations and wit, Stover for his awesome prose and Force philosophising, and Luceno for his dialogue and interconnectedness with the EU.

I want James Matthew Stewarter to write the novelisation. :p

22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Um...

Florian B @DarthSpiriah 3h3 hours ago
    The Episode VII novelization author's initials are KJA.

Wat.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  23. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

Ha confirmed it was a joke. Hardy har har har.

Barriss_Coffee and Revanfan1 like this.
  24. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe they're doing two novelizations, like with all the other movies - and assigning him the junior one?

Ryder Windham did the OT junior novels, Patricia C. Wrede did the PT ones.

He should have saved it for April 1st.