main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ManaByte, Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah, I'd agree with that. I even think the story in the first Star Trek he did was pretty good and he handled it well. Into Darkness had some major script issues, I feel, but the chemistry between the cast was exceptional, so that's also heavily encouraging.

2. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    I am willing to accept that the new star wars will be like the new coke...but considering that once upon a time my dr pepper tasted like dr pepper. today it does not...i dont even drink soda at all anymore. but when i see a dr pepper logo or can; i still like it...even if it doesnt quiet taste the same anymore.

I understand GL isnt making this so its going to be different but considering how many people were involved in the OT making...its always been a group collaboration IMO. It came down to writers and script writers and directors who can pace a film well (ie kershner ect). The only thing about JJ Abrams is his name started to appear everywhere on tv and everything he touched turned to gold..ratings wise on television. I didnt watch lost but what i understand is that all these "neat idea" shows and movies he has done is a guy who comes up with ideas and for the most part everyone likes them. He came up with a couple of films that were great for someone who just got started. I didnt quiet get Jaws or Close Encounters when they came out but I sure got Raiders without a doubt. LIke Spielberg his first couple of films were actually pretty good and he is maturing as a director im sure- I can see him becoming one of "those" directors.

So I have heard a ton of people just rip apart into darkness but i enjoyed the movie. i enjoy the actors who portray the role, i didnt care for a kahn rehash nor his overly annunciated mouth movements. But considering the history of star trek tv and film.....i dont know why people are expecting Isaac Isamov or something. I can, in retrospect, realize how bad it can actually be but its still better than a lot of sci fi I have seen lately and its perplexing the reaction to this film.
    Unlike Spielberg or Ron Howard - most directors dont get to go back and fix some things and reshoot some things to adjust a pacing or theme of a film- what they didnt have to do, from what i know, was that there was little re-writing in the dialogue because the script was perfect - its the visual translation of that script that can do or die. I know very little about the writers in this film, ive seen their previous works and i dont understand the connection that makes their style relevant to sci fi. Certainly not Little Miss Sunshine. You would think that a writer with star wars history be better suited to task. But i do see JJ doing a lot of films in the action adventure sci fi realm and his pacing of his films werent slow and i was able to enjoy them. Fringe was a favorite of mine and I wonder how much involved he was on a day to day basis but bottom line is i think he's qualified to make films but its the scriptwriters and story writers that are going to have to step up with ideas that just havent been done before. I feel they are key to the sucess of star wars.

If people dont like the film thats on the viewers and writers, thats not on JJ Abrams. Theres 88 seconds of proof.

3. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Disney CEO Announces Star Wars Release Dates
    Posted by Dustin on January 30, 2015 at 08:48 AM CST | 17 Comments
    In a recent letter to shareholders, Disney CEO Bob Iger reiterated that we will be getting Star Wars Episodes VIII and IX in 2017 and 2019.
    “As one of the few people allowed to visit the set during filming… and one of the fewer who’s seen most of the footage… I can assure the millions of ‘Star Wars’ fans who have spent the last decade hoping for a new movie this one will be worth the wait. And it’s only the beginning of a new era of exceptional ‘Star Wars’ storytelling; next year we’ll release our first standalone movie based on these characters, followed by ‘Star Wars: Episode VIII’ in 2017, and we’ll finish this trilogy with ‘Episode IX’ in 2019,” wrote Iger.​
    This information isn't new, despite practically the entire Internet treating it that way. We heard that this would be the plan back in April 2013.

4. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Misleading title. Those aren't dates-just projected years.

5. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    well it does say "release dates" and they are dates as in what year they come out?

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    But we've known those were the target years for a long time. "Dates" implies an actual month/day/year level of detail.

7. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    this was posted by Making Star Wars and If true I would Love It If true, one big Homage to The OT and that would make sense because Abrams grew up with the OT in the 1970's and 1980's and He Is A big Star Wars fan,

And finally – This might come as a shock considering what all the actors have been saying but not everyone is entirely happy with the way the movie is heading. Several people have told me they feel like they are just ‘going over old ground’ with the things they are being asked to work on. The feeling is that The Force Awakens is a rehash of the original movie and doesn’t have enough new ideas in it.
    The prequels were full of new ideas and concepts but as one person put it to me there’s a ‘lack of imagination’ around The Force Awakens and everything is just a riff on what’s already been done.
    Sorry to end that on a negative note but that’s a common feeling I’m getting.

but I would stress take this all with a big grain of salt, not saying it is not true but at this point it is just a rumor.....

8. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    I think some of the stuff on Making Star Wars lately is either twisted or completely false. Normally they're pretty good, but I'm starting to wonder about them to be honest.

DaddlerTheDalek and CairnsTony like this.
  9. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I'm very confident that neither Jason nor his sources have read the script or know much about the story. We already know that there are a lot of elements in this movie which pay homage to the OT: so what? I for one think this is a good thing. Sources much closer to the production are only saying good things about this movie. :)

10. Shamear

Shamear Jedi Master star 1

Feb 9, 2014
    This is exactly what I was afraid would happen with a Lucas-less Star Wars. MSW said they had different concepts for Tie Fighters and X-wings but still decided to go with the same look.

Immortiss likes this.
  11. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Right. Because most people actually love the OT. Unlike that other trilogy. And yet it's crazy that the OT would play any role at all with the ST? :p

Anthony Daniels recently came close to saying TFA is as good or better than ESB. :eek:

12. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Looks like Disney has an earnings results today, wonder if we'll get some VII news/updates.;)

13. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    It has happened before. Remember we knew about the new Big 3 back on late March, on an earnings results conference.

14. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    But what do you guys expect a member of the cast to say? I expect none of the cast members or JJ, Kasdan, KK, Iger to say anything remotely neutral about the movie. IF anythings bad with the movie has happened, we will know about it much after the movie has hit theatres, if ever.

Immortiss and Dewback like this.
  15. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    But he didn't HAVE to say that did he. Remember that before you make such a sweeping assumption like, "well what do you expect him to say?" If it was a by the numbers statement along the lines of, "I think the fans will love it blah blah thanks very much goodbye" then yeah. It was a fairly definitive statement from a man of integrity who's been in the acting game for years.

Dra--- likes this.
  16. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Wishful thinking IMO. Have you seen any movie in which this does not happen before the release? Bob Iger seems to be pretty excited about the movie too. Because hey, how the heck is Disney´s top executive going to say anythng positive about the movie if it was not entirely true. Like if they had paid 4 billion for it or something. :p

Seriously, I know most here are super excited, I liked the teaser a lot too. But using what an actor of the movie cast claims during an interview as an indication of the movie quality is just being way too optimistic IMO. The news would be Daniels or whoever saying in public that he has doubts about the project.

Immortiss likes this.
  17. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Iger I can understand. But Daniels? No. He is under no pressure to say anything of such. Your assumption is that Isaac, Driver, Daniels, Serkis, Hamill have all been leant on by Disney to big up the movie no matter what they actually think privately? Really??

18. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Spielberg said Clones was second only to Empire. Not that I doubt Spielberg's enthusiasm when he said this or Daniels' recent view, but, well, I'm a grain of salt guy when it comes to publicity lines. I also don't doubt that at some point we'll hear a cast member or notable director stating that the latest Disney Star Wars spinoff film is the "best since Empire."

19. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Absolutely. Have you seen any movie in which anything different than this happens? If something is wrong about a movie, we use to know about it via leaks on news websites and rumors about a trouble in production. Unless something is so wrong that an actor says it in front of the cameras. But I can´t imagine TFA having anything wrong. I woulld bet money that if anyone in the cast is asked about TFA being too similar to ANH they will probably say ANH was THE original movie, the iconic on the saga and so on.

But to each his own, I guess.

20. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    So Daniels is a Yes man who critiques the prequels but not TFA? Wait, that means he's a Yes and No man. So that argument doesn't make sense.

He was in the PT and says there were problems with all the CG. On the other hand, TFA fixes those problems. So is he also lying about his feelings of the PT? Doesn't a Yes man also defend those?

Jcuk and starocean90 like this.
  21. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    TOUCHE.^:)^;)

nightangel and Dra--- like this.
  22. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    If you can show me a link during the PT filming in which Daniels criticized the CG I will buy your theory. If there are no links (which is what I would expect) I think that proves my point. Daniels talks about PT problems 10 years after the PT ended.

Not to mention, the ST can get rid of the CGI, at least in part, but the PT was much more than that. Having more practical effects on TFA does not equal to a better movie. IT does not exclude the possibility neither.

23. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    TheBBP, Immortiss and nightangel like this.
  24. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Ops!! No news this time. Pitty.

Btw, he is thrilled!! That has to mean something!! :p

25. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Someone just posted (last night) a video of Daniels bashing the CG and praising TFA. I can't remember what thread, but it's here somewhere. I bet @starocean knows!

starocean90 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.