main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rumor Star Wars Episode VII to be filmed in Scotland

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 4, 2013.

1. AkshayTheJedi

AkshayTheJedi Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 12, 2013
    These are thai elephants. Sill larger than the Indian one's. However I still can't understand how they managed to bring an Asian elephant in the middle of a desert. It's not their habitat. Asian elephants can only be found near green pastures or rain forests as they can't survive extreme heat. Especially with the bantha costume. I wonder how they pulled this off.

2. Ahsoka_Tano_11

Ahsoka_Tano_11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2013
    that would be so.......... cool!

3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Her name was Mardji. :) The story of Mardji the elephant was explained in the former SW.com databank:
    "For A New Hope, an Asian elephant named Mardji played the bantha. The trained elephant from Marine World Africa, USA was transported to Northern California and dressed in layers of fur and a headpiece of two lightweight horns. Despite her training, Mardji was not comfortable underneath the bantha disguise, and often tried to remove the wardrobe as cameras rolled."

4. AkshayTheJedi

Mar 12, 2013
    Aah sweet, thanks for the info!

5. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    This rumor actually started a while ago. I think it has legs since its still continuing. I also think it would be great to use quarries for environments.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes... Ralph McQuarrie would have been great to use for some environments. :(

Chewgumma and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Crap, that's a depressing thought. First Star Wars movie without McQuarrie.

RIP Ralph, it's just not going to be the same.

Pro Scoundrel and eht13 like this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I predict that some of his formerly scrapped concepts get a second look. They always look at previously unused art during these films.

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, thanks for that info, LelalMekha. And AkshayTheJedi, that's interesting... I didn't know the Thai ones were bigger than the Indian ones. According to Wikipedia those would both be the same subspecies of Asian elephant:

Three subspecies are recognized:
    • the Sri Lankan elephant lives in Sri Lanka;
    • the Indian elephant lives in mainland Asia: India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Myanmar, Thailand, Malay Peninsular, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, and China;
    • the Sumatran elephant lives in Sumatra and Borneo.
    Anyway... Scotland. There is lots of very cool natural scenery there that could make for an interesting planet setting in SW.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Scotland's elephants get no love. [face_plain]

11. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I was thinking this too. And either way, his designs and visual ideas had such a huge impact on so many parts of SW, it really seems like his legacy will live on in the new movies anyway.

Yeah, they really don't. Such a shame.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Agreed. If they pay homage to mostly anything that has previously appeared than they are near-automatically using his aesthetic. The bad pun above aside, his planetary landscapes were what I thought of when Scotland was first "announced".

Pro Scoundrel and eht13 like this.
  13. The Bornless One

The Bornless One Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2013
    Is it possible that they will be looking for extras for the next trilogy?

14. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    We've all already signed on as extras. You just missed the cut-off. :p

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  15. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Scotland looks to be a rumour no more since it's official that EP7 will be shot at the Pinewood studios in the U.K ........

16. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I thought about merging the two threads, but to me it looks like the confirmed info is that they'll use studios in the UK. What still seems to be unconfirmed is the use of Scotland's natural scenery for settings and backdrops.

17. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Huh? He didn't do the PT either.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  18. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    His spirit was thankfully intact. Chiang, Church, Tiemens.

19. AkshayTheJedi

Mar 12, 2013

They could be the same size, but personally I have seen both elephants and Thai one's are slightly bigger. I don't kno why but since they are sub species, they might be a bit different from each other. However elephants found in the Indian sub continent i.e. India, Nepal, Bangaldesh, Pakistan, Bhutan and Myanmar have almost identical breeds.

20. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    Wait, you mean it's not filmed in a galaxy far far away?

21. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    As stated previously, Thai Elephants are the same thing as Asian Elephants, they are not a distinct sub-species.

Pictures here of the Bantha costume

These days it would just be CGI

eht13 likes this.
  22. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I'm just dying of cute at the mental image of a cranky elephant trying to pull bits of bantha costume off itself.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It's certainly not cute for anyone nearby, unhappy Elephants are the worst thing you could deal with.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  24. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    True. Elephants are cute despite their large size, but we could have gotten a headline like this: "George Lucas and members of film production crew trampled to death by elephant in Tunisia." :p

But it looks like she was being treated fairly well, so it sounds like she was more annoyed at the costume than being abused or anything that would push her to snap.