main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Star Wars: Episode VII

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ordo Skirata, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I still find it hard to believe that episode VII will be here in less then 3 years. The amount of time given seems to suggest another CGI film like TCW then live action.

2. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm pretty sure they said Live Action. Didn't ROTS only take 3 years?

3. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    That is true.

And seems GL already has the outlines.

4. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    It was only three years between Episode 1 and 2, and 2 and 3. They're going to be a little short though for a traditional May release, so my guess is it will be released in the October-November 2015 time frame.

5. DarthRuss

DarthRuss Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2004
    I would suppose they will follow Lucas' original idea of having episode 7 take place about 40 years later with Mark Hamill as the Old Ben character.

6. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Yeah, that was one theory - that the Whills & ghosting references were all but removed from ROTS, and with that, the last possible hook into a Sequel Trilogy.

So it's quite possible this new ST might address the issue, but I would have thought the deleted scenes might have been shot or restored (not sure if Liam Neeson ever actually recorded the lines) for the Blu-Rays.

7. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Possible. But even if unintentional, it's still unresolved. They could have neglected to comment on it at all, and everyone would have assumed some kind of conjectural explanation. However, they made it so it's clear that ghosting (or fading?) is something that Ben has to learn from Yoda/Qui-Gon. That seems more open to me, even without the more explicit discussion of it by Qui-Gon, mentioning the Whills.

Speaking of which - the Whills, yet another idea *almost* recycled into the PT.

8. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    First off TPM took 5 years to set up & film,

9. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    It did, yes, but it used a lot of practical effects, and Lucas was writing by himself from scratch. This one appears to have a team of writers (I think) already working from something Lucas wrote. And it might have just as much CGI and greenscreen as the latter two prequels. Plus even though TPM had a large budget Disney probably could pour even more into something easily. All of those have to affect setup time.

10. Gpatton

Gpatton Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    Been a long time since I was on the boards! This news made me smile so big! IMHO Lucas has been running the franchise into the ground to the tune of 4 billion though. Just give us the thrawn trilogies and there will truly be a new hope for star wars.

11. syferdiasisalie

syferdiasisalie Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2004
    Didn't work on TPM begin in '93-'96? It baffles me that they're going to have a movie finished in 3 years without a script even finished. Are there concept artists working now?

12. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    It probably also depends on how far after ROTJ they are setting it. If they're using a lot of design work from the OT or EU, then they would have comparatively little conceptual design to be done, no?

13. KED12345

Sep 10, 2012
    Given ideas have been thrown around by George Lucas since the 70s about a sequel trilogy, my guess is they have a strong idea what the script is.

14. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    Ideas were thrown around by GL about the PT since the 70s too, and the ST was repeatedly described as "more vague" or "more ethereal" than the PT ideas circa 1980. So... who knows.

15. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    As I said in another thread:

As I read more on it it is clear that they are handling them a lot like "The Old Republic". Totally separate from the films or OS (Original Saga) and set years in the distant future.

Its basically just a bigger version of The Old Republic guys. These new films will not affect the Star Wars Saga (or OS) any more than TOR did.

Think of it like that and it becomes much clearer to understand.

There is also a large chance they wont even be live action. Realistically they will probably be fully cgi like TCW. Maybe they will be the very first fully animated 3D films like Spealbergs "Tin-tin" was but even more advanced.

16. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    The video that you see when you go to the official Star Wars website seems to pretty heavily indicate that the new trilogy will be live-action and will in fact be connected to the other six films in the Saga, so I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that they're going CGI or that they're going to create a completely new, stand-alone storyline for the new trilogy.

17. rtoodeetwo

rtoodeetwo Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 1999
    Wow is been a while since I posted on these forums, but I'm glad my account still active. I'm was shocked when I read the new this afternoon and I didn't know what to male out of it but now I'm exited that Episode VII is coming. I was a little bit worried about Disney's been in charge but so far I have enjoyed all the movies that they have released with all the Avengers movies.

18. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    It might not be fully CGI but the point is that it will be a new, fresh adventure.

Realistically it wont be mark, carrie and harrison running around in SW costumes. At the very most it might have a cameo appearance by someone like Mark in one scene.

19. Ani is my homeboy

Ani is my homeboy Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    I'm saying compltely drop the old story include none of the old guard and let's get an entirely new saga going. The originals redefined moviemaking in the 70s I wanna see them do it now.

20. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    obi-rob-kenobi4: Have you seen the video I mentioned? The reason I ask is that, as I noted, it seems to contradict everything you're convinced is going to happen with this Sequel Trilogy, as would the fact that they're labeling the new films Episodes VII, VIII, and IX. If they were truly going to be as standalone as you think they are, why would they label them as continuous with the existing films?

21. Ani is my homeboy

Oct 30, 2012
    That will probably change as a release date gets closer, they wil do their homework they can't afford another flop lik John Carter. And if they don't I'm not taking my future children to any Disney establishment nor will I allow Disney films in my home.

22. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    ^ With Lucasfilm remaining an autonomous entity under the Disney corporate umbrella, why would the direction of this Sequel Trilogy change in the future? Your comment makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

23. KED12345

Sep 10, 2012
    I think everyone has been shocked by this insane announcement. Didn't think I would wake up knowing today I would find out Star Wars is coming back with three new movies.

rtoodeetwo likes this.
  24. Jedi_Master_Groove

Jedi_Master_Groove Jedi Master star 1

Oct 9, 2002
    It seems more likely what they're saying is there will be movies like you describe above *at some point in the future*, but Episode 7 is going to be the next chapter in GL's story.

25. Ani is my homeboy

Oct 30, 2012
    Because the people who run major motion picture studios are not fans hell they don't even write the press releases. The names for films change all the time according to data from market reasearch. You think that lucasfilms is gonna remain "autonomous" not while Disney is cutting their checks brother. My bad for not watching said video, but it's possible that the episodic titles are for a larger consumer audience to understand continuity and not meant to be over analyses by diehard fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.