1. A Warning For Everyone To See:

PT vs. OT vs. ST vs. Anthology (in any combination) debates are not allowed in the New Movies forums. Discussions that descend into OT/PT/ST/Anthology bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Consider this your warning.

Official Info Star Wars Episode VIII Filming Announcement

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi & IX - Spoilers Allowed' started by Leoluca Randisi, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Leoluca Randisi Jedi Master

star 5
    • [IMG]
    • [IMG]
    • [IMG]
    [IMG]James White
    10 Feb 2016 20:30Last updated: 10 Feb 2016 20:56
    Star Wars: Episode VIII has started shooting

[IMG]
    This won't come as the biggest surprise given that Daisy Ridley has already posted a picture to social media of a welcome bouquet signaling the start of her work, but Disney boss Bob Iger has now made the official announcement that Rian Johnson has begun shooting Star Wars: Episode VIII.
    Iger didn't go so far as to reveal the movie's title, but he did make mention that it was supposed to start filming last month, but had the date pushed back a few weeks around the same time as the release date was changed to December 2017 from May of that year.
    Also on the Mouse House head cheese's agenda? Mentioning that Gareth Edwards is close to wrapping up production on the first stand-alone, Rogue One. “Filming of Rogue One is virtually completed and we absolutely love what we’ve seen so far,” he said. The heist film about rebels stealing the plans for the original Death Star is scheduled for December this year and we're hoping a trailer will be with us soon enough.
    And he talked up Lego Movie duo Phil Lord and Chris Miller's forward momentum on the young Han Solo movie, mentioning that it is still targeting a May 2018 release, which is surprising given the recent shuffling of release dates. Chances are that may change.
    Finally, Iger said that Episode IX, which isn't on the calendar for release until 2019 has started "production" which in this case indicates that chosen director Colin Trevorrow is starting meetings and work on the script, since he's currently busy finishing The Book Of Henry and is unlikely to be pulling a Spielberg by trying to shoot Episode IX while still editing his previous film.

Why Is This not bigger News or have an official thread yet?
  2. Generational Fan Jedi Knight

star 1
    This is great news

Obviously a concrete plot / treatment is now in place and it shouldn't be too long before "on-set" photos / images of characters, locations, etc start finding their way onto social media.

Exciting times to be a Star Wars fan because in addition to the Episode 8 images, we'll soon have trailers for Rogue One too. A lot of new stuff to take in and a lot to speculate on, dissect and discuss. Love it!!
  3. Avnar Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I wonder if they will have a cast reading pic...?
    Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  4. JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Hopefully! But beware of fakes. Best way to spot one is if you see a Muun on the back couch.

[IMG]
  5. Green_Destiny_Sword Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    The cameras are officially rolling.
  6. Darth Chiznuk Superninja of New Films

Manager
    star 6
    Tagged this as official info and updated thread title.
    EHT likes this.
  7. Leoluca Randisi Jedi Master

star 5
    It is real good to be a star wars fan right now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. DavidSword79 Jedi Knight

star 3
    This is a historical first for Star Wars, where two films in the franchise are literally shooting at the same time. Rogue One is finishing up and Ep.VIII is just starting up.

Meanwhile, Han Solo and Ep.IX are both in pre-production development. Amazing time to be a fan.
  9. Storm_Cloud Jedi Knight

star 3
    Great news. I wonder if the lengths they went to on TFA to keep things secret will be replicated? I hope so. If things start leaking out I may have to take a hiatus from the internet as I want to go into 8 with as little concrete information as we had for TFA.
    jaqen likes this.
  10. Thrawn082 Force Ghost

star 6
    I feel like they'll play the actual plot relatively secretive. But IDK if they'll be as overall secretive as they were with TFA. I mean JJ Abrams is famous for his obsession with secrecy with his projects in a way that Rian Johnson is not (at least from what I can tell).

I wonder how low-key they'll play the marketing for the rest of 2016, given that they probably want to focus on RO right now? Like I think that we MIGHT get a title for the movie, maybe some set photos, and (best case scenario) the first teaser trailer in front of RO. Or they might hold off until after RO is out for awhile.
  11. kip73 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Here we go again!

I actually hope that the entire plot doesn't leak this time lol... bits and pieces are good, but not the whole ball of wax like what MSW reported previously (last year) with TFA.
    Last edited by kip73, Feb 11, 2016
    Dewback likes this.
  12. Grey Matter Jedi Knight

star 2
    Bring it on! :D
  13. Darkspellmaster Jedi Master

star 4
    Given the situation last time with leaks I think they're going to be careful this time. However I do think they will let things out for fans and I'm sure the cast and crew will be tweeting as they're fans too it seems, and Rian seems to be the sort to give stuff out to fans about what he's been shooting.
  14. Darkspellmaster Jedi Master

star 4

[IMG]
    Force Smuggler and Grey Matter like this.
  15. JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    We're likely to get just as much, or more, information this time, IMO.
  16. Darth Smurf Jedi Master

star 4
  17. Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Knight

star 4
    I just got this piece of news from the StarWars.com website and official iOS app, mentioning that the cast for Episode 8 is confirmed and that filming has commenced at Pinewood Studios in London. With the movie expected to be released on December 15, 2017 - a year and 10 months to go! =D=

Too bad that the Pinewood Studio operations in Johor Bahru, Malaysia are not used for filming of Episode 8, otherwise I can consider applying for a Stormtrooper role in the movie, haha! :p

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-viii-now-filming
    Last edited by Millennium Falcon 888, Feb 15, 2016
  18. Django Fett Jedi Master

star 4
  19. Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Knight

star 4
    Well well, looks like there's already an "Official Info" thread on the same topic... Maybe the mods can look at merging mine with that one? [face_dancing]
  20. 11-4D Jedi Master

star 4
    Screw that delay, man... We could have had the movie in just a bit over a year from now.
  21. Darth Chiznuk Superninja of New Films

Manager
    star 6
    Yep, thread merged.
    Millennium Falcon 888 likes this.
  22. Chewgumma Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    That moment where we've officially seen more of next year's Star Wars movie than this year's...

[IMG]
    Krueger and Dewback like this.
  23. Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Knight

star 4
    Because next year's movie continues an already interesting storyline into the next... And fans are getting excited as to how the FO and New Republic / Resistance reacts, after the events of TFA.

Whereas for Rogue One, it's a brand new story with the only link to the "main" films being the setting just before "A New Hope"... Although it will be cool to see the two Chinese actors in RO, and what roles they will be playing!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk
  24. Leoluca Randisi Jedi Master

star 5
    Moderators If you want to put this,

In my first post of the Thread after all this Is the official Production Announcement for Episode 8?

I was not able to get this news till just recently about The Production Video of Episode 8 and cast Announcement, My Nephew had off Of School today so I took Him to a Sarasota Florida Zoo, My Nephew is 7 but will be 8 on Saturday, On Saturday I am taking him to an Aquarium his Biological Father was a dead beat dad who left him when he was an infant so his only father figures are me and my dad. He has off tomorrow and tomorrow we are seeing Kung-fu Panda, we already saw TFA twice well actually he saw it twice I saw It 4 times! Love the casting Of Laura Dern she was great In one of my Favorite all time movies Jurassic Park !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Leoluca Randisi, Feb 15, 2016
    DavidSword79 likes this.
  25. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 7
    There's already a separate thread for the actual video, though, as opposed to the filming announcement itself that you found before the video was officially released. And there's also a thread about the Cast and Crew announcement on the official site that accompanied the release of the video today.