main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars: Episode VIII Will Head To Ireland's Skellig Michael

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Leoluca Randisi, Sep 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Star Wars: Episode VIII Will Head To Ireland's Skellig Michael
    It'll follow The Force Awakens in shooting on the island
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]10 September 2015 | Written by James White | Source: RTE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It’s not often you get Star Wars information from an Irish politician, but this is the way the world works right now. So word arrives that Episode VIII, which has Rian Johnson writing and directing, will be shooting some scenes on Skellig Michael, off the coast of Ireland.
    The move follows work by J.J. Abrams and the Force Awakens team, who shot there briefly last summer. According to RTE, Johnson and his crew are scheduled to film for just a couple of days this month, though there has been no start-of-shoot announcement by Disney or Lucasfilm about the plan. The latter company, however, did respond to Entertainment Weekly to clear up earlier reports that it would be the Force Awakens production working on additional photography.
    “Skellig Michael is one of our most dramatic and beautiful islands and it is very easy to understand why its stunning scenery has caught the attention of the makers of one of the world's biggest film franchises," said Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht Heather
    Humphreys in a statement. "The return of Star Wars to Sceilg Mhichil is another win for Ireland and the Irish film industry, which is a growing and dynamic sector of our economy."
    Because of the protected nature of the island – it’s home to both a site of archaeological interest and several species of endangered birds – an ecologist and observers from the National Parks and Wildlife Service and the National Monuments Service will monitor filming. So even BB-8 should feel safe.
    As for what Johnson and his team will be shooting? That’s naturally still a secret and Lucasfilm would probably have wished to keep the news off the radar. The film itself will be out here on May 26, 2017.

I am sorry if there is already a thread disusing this or if this is the wrong forum for this?

Mr_Thompson, TheBBP and Seeher like this.
  2. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I won't believe this until it's brought up about another seven times at least. Preferably with some speculation about how it might be for VII.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It's actually probably good to have it in its own thread now, with the article that now puts the "maybe it's for TFA" speculation to rest.

Leoluca Randisi and Seeher like this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    A very reliable source told me that since they're shooting in Ireland, Sean Patrick Flannery and Norman Reedus will appear as none other than the Boondock Sith who work for their master, Plagueis, played by Billy Connolly. The Benicio Del Toro rumor is all wrong you guys.

Now make like a tree and get the **** out.

jedinightwing and Rabs like this.
  5. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I kind of wish I knew the fictional name of this place by now. I've heard "Skellig Michael" so much at this point, it's going to be difficult to suddenly attach a new name to it when I see the film. When we get the obligatory establishing shot, I'm just going to think, "Oh, look, Skellig Michael."

6. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I find it interesting that it says they are filming scenes for Episode 8 this month, I had no idea they were filming episode 8 this soon? may be they are filming this series the same way Peter Jackson filmed the lord of the rings and the hobbit?

7. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    So has Mark Hamill and Daisy Ridley been spotted in Ireland yet?

8. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013

Episode VIII Sub-forum inbound?

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Ep. VIII discussion will remain here in this forum, to be retitled Sequel Trilogy - Spoilers Allowed. What we'll probably do is split TFA into its own forum after it comes out.

10. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    This was a tweet by Mark 5 days ago. He's definitely there - not even convincing!

11. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    How much you wanna bet that this scene isn't for the beginning of the film?

12. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

Having played Witcher 3 over the last few months, I've also grown attached to the name Skellig, it sounds right for it somehow.

Rabs and Scummy_and_Villainous like this.
  13. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015

I bet 1 billion dollars that you are right.

14. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I'm on vacation in Ireland right now and made it today to Skellig Michael, after a terrible heavy raining day yesterday, it was a brilliant sunny day today. And they are already building up all the stuff for filming. :p

Some of my pics are here, if you want to check it out. :) I put it into spoiler tags in case you don't want to see the location yet. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    Looks great. Have a good one

starocean90 and nightangel like this.
  16. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    any word on anything concerning the movies that you heard?

nightangel likes this.
  17. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014

only that they are not allowed to talk about Star Wars at all, but they said they will start filming on Monday. Also someone said something like it was only a filming for 2 minutes as a question and the reply was that it was more than 2 minutes. I was not sure if this comment was about the previous vist last year or the filming starting on Monday. ;)

18. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    2 minutes for last time is better than the reported 1 minute and it means more Luke for VII.[face_dancing]

nightangel likes this.
  19. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    since today I know what Luke probably ate on Skellig excile, since it will be the same as the monks ate: Birds, fish, they also had a vegetable garden and they drank collected rain water. ;)

Poor birds, how can Luke be so cruel to eat these cute little birds. :_| :p

20. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    eff the birds! ha ha!

21. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    BOO Luke what ever happened to the force is life it's in all living beings, life is sacred and he dare call himself a practitioner of the Jedi way.[face_shame_on_you]:p

nightangel likes this.
  22. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    yes, Luke killing and eating cute little birds would be too cruel for Star Wars. :p Much worse than someone loosing a hand/arm. [face_devil]

starocean90 likes this.
  23. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Birds? Pshh! Luke's diet consists entirely of mynock.

24. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

No, there is a break. They're not doing them back to back like PJ did with TLOTR and The Hobbit trilogies.
    The reason it seems so soon is because they're releasing the ST films a year earlier in between each episode than the OT or PT. So, it seems sooner than what we're used to. Ep VIII is out in 2017. That's not far off. In fact, it's coming out in May 2017, so it's even closer. That's less than two years. That is a quick turnaround. This is likely plate photography for vfx work.

25. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Tastes like Chicken ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.