main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars EU-FULL INTEGRATION--Petition for the Publication of Star Wars: TimeTales!!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediSabre77, May 25, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Thankyou very much Valentio! Comments like that make it all the worth while! :)

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    your welcome.

3. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    The November version of the .doc file of Timetales is available to download!

It includes the summary of the lastest NJO hardcover - 'Balance Point' - now a total of 527 pages long! :)

4. HellSpit

HellSpit Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2000
    Cool. More timetales(gonna have to get rid of bp summery cause i havent read it yet *sobs*)

5. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Don't worry - I haven't read it either, it is not out in Australia yet! :)

6. Keyan_Stele

Keyan_Stele Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2000
    There's a big problem with integration that's being overlooked. Some things overlap entirely and are not reconciliable. Would it be useful to have official cannon? Maybe, but wouldn't it just lead to a huge feud over what to officially put into canon? Too much work for too little gain.

7. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Keyan, which items of the storyline do you believe overlap, and don't reconcile? I am interested in your thoughts!

8. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Bubba, I am sure YOU would sign this petition! :)

9. Muke_Skywalker

Muke_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2000
    Me like TimeTales too....

10. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    By all means, YES! May TimeTales be published in all its glory!

And besides, you might say that part of TimeTales has already been published. Ms. Lewis in The Essential Guide to Alien Species, LOCKED TT's date of the founding of the Trade Federation!

11. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Yes, I was quite pleased with that! :)

12. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Heehee, you were jumping all over the place! :)

13. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    a published timetales would be awesome!

just think...when i'm writing my fic i wouldn't have to be messing with web windows :)

14. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    A published version would become almost instantly obsolete though, cause Chris and Michael have new material pouring through constantly, as well as Nathan Butler.

15. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    I will sign

16. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Anyone else wish to sign?! :)

17. DaJames2

DaJames2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2002
    Sure thing, Gatherer. Get me a pen and point me at the signature bit :)

18. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    I would sign, but if they saw that The Dark Side was with the petition, they might discard it.

::scribbles down psuedonym::

19. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    TimeTales r0x0rz. It should be published, and I'll sign as many things as possible to get it published.

Great work, Michael and Chris.

20. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    I would think if Gatherer is going to be "disrepectful" to both authors' and editors' hard work by publishing pre-release spoilers/synopsis about their books, then I would suspect he's "digging himself a hole" in having an extension of "Official respect" returned to him, especially if he expects Timetales or any other of his works to ever become an "Official" SW product.

Don't get me wrong, it looks to me like Timetales represents lots and lots of hard hard work.

But then again, when Elaine Cunningham spends months of her life to kick out a novel, plus the efforts of the collective team of editors helping in the publication of that novel . . . well, it doesn't look to me like Gatherer has ANY RESPECT whatsoever for the efforts of those individuals when he undercuts the story-telling process.

To come back and ask and/or request his own work to be recognized as official when he's undercutting the "Official" people . . . well, that just seems to me as quite an audacious request . . . but perhaps that's just me, and thus, I have an odd take on things . . .

21. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    For your info, I didn't create the thread, and honestly, I don't take it seriously... I thought that was plainly obvious.

22. DaJames2

DaJames2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2002
    I presume you mean by 'undercutting', you're talking about posting the DJ summary on TF.N. First off, in case you haven't noticed there is a growing group of people who actually have read, so if someone wishes really to be spoilt then all they have to do is ask one of those people, as they seem to be quite free with their spoiling. If Elaine Cunningham had not wished for her work to be released to a select few before moving in large numbers on the general market, then Lucas Books have shown her an amount of disrespect as an author. However, Star Wars is a franchise that does not belong to Elaine Cunningham and she completed her contract for the NJO by writing first a novel then 2 short stories in the era. Hence, it is ultimately not her decision when it is published as it was written for LFL and they can decide what do to with their property.

And if you want to compare work efforts, Cunningham worked hard for months to produce a great piece of work. And she was paid for it. That's her recognition and she will get more of it if she ever graces these boards. The Timetales team have worked hard on and off for YEARS. They were not paid, they are not an official authorised work, they are fans who have impressive dedication and are obviously not in the habit of flaming those with similar high qualities, unlike someone i just heard about.

23. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    It should be published, or at least a really good timeline should. With better illustrations than "Guide to the Star WArs Universe" or "Essential Guide to Planets and Moons."

24. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    My sincerely apologies to the multiple contributors to TimeTales creation. My intent is not to offend all - I'm merely expressing my disappointment and a view on a very narrow issue.

I mean it when I see TimeTales as the result of countless hours of hard work - it looks and reads it.

My take, and perhaps it was a baseless leap of faith, was that Gatherer was a "co-author" of Timetales. I don't know where I got that from - perhaps my memory is just extremely bad.

I do think that Gatherer is a zealous advocate - at least in supporting and generating support - for the "Official" recognition and/or publication of Timetales.

On a different and collateral note, I think that Gatherer's posting of a DJ synopsis last week was a mistake because I do NOT think it took into consideration how the storyteller(s) would feel about that action. Or if it did, it gave greater weight to the fans than to the storyteller(s). If some readers think the posting is just and righteous decision making - than that's your right. Support what you believe - ALWAYS. However, I disagree with that decision.

Your opinion on that issue may depend on "what" and "how may" POV(s) you see and to whose side you want to throw your support.

I guess there's more appropriate threads to post this opinion - but it is follow-up to my previous post on this thread which does tie in here.

25. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Is there going to be no Timetales Jan 2002?? If so, when does Feb2002 Version come out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.