main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars EU-FULL INTEGRATION--Petition for the Publication of Star Wars: TimeTales!!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediSabre77, May 25, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaJames2

DaJames2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2002
    Your memory probably isn't that bad, it is well-known that Gatherer is the co-author, now one of several as i believe. It says so in his signature.

I do not believe that having DJ's story open to the public is a good idea on principle, but i was merely pointing out that several people appear to have their hands on advance copies and they are not exactly remaining silent about it. If a person wished to know all about DJ, then they can easily accomplish this. Gatherer's posting the summary and his work in ramifying spoilers are all helping keep ths issue out in the open and regulating it, keeping it under control. As a person who does not wish to be spoiled period, i must admit i know more about AoTC than DJ at this point, which is a reflection of how well this has been kept under control.

2. palpatineson

palpatineson Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2001
    TimeTales being published would be great. I would love a good long history of the GFFA. We don't really have one that goes as far back or is as complete as TT. I mean, they made EC, but that only goes back to the Sith era and doesen't touch on the creation of the hyperdrive or the Corellian system.

I would sign any petition put out there to get it published, unless it diminished it by taking out non-canon things or even shortening it. I think that you get a good feel of the history of the GFFA by how long it is.

3. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    Timetales is indeed a collaborative effort, and as I am the first (and now one of many) writer of Timetales, I wish to state for the record (and not just out of personal friendship) that Michael was IMHO very restrained and professional about how he handled the whole DJ thing. If he hadn't, it would have gotten out in a much more public way, the way "Star By Star" spoilers were (Where do you think the whole "Jimmy" thing came from?).

I'd rather see a summary show up than, say, a typed-up manuscript copy that everyone can steal and dissect a month before it reaches the shelves. Don't believe me? Look at how the pilot script of "Enterprise" showed up online a month before the premiere. You don't see it, but the folks at TFN and other SW fan pages have worked tirelessly to PREVENT just those sorts of incidents from happening.

And until/unless Elaine Cunningham herself shows up on this forum to slam Mick for his actions, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! ;D

[The opinions about Elaine Cunningham's work in the summary, BTW, were NOT Mick's. They were from the person he received the summary from. So don't go shooting the messenger!]

4. DarthSikle

DarthSikle Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    Any updates on getting this puppy published??

5. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    It is all a fanboy dream... wishfull thinking.

6. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Is it possible to publish it unofficially? There are other unofficial Star Wars books out there. I highly doubt that Del Rey would publish a 1000 page Star Wars non-fiction gude - they probably would want it considerably abridged - which would detract from its value as a reference. To reduce publication costs, you could turn it into an eBook with printing privileges.

7. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    I guess he could publish it, but not sell it, which is a no good given the amount of people that'd be interested. :p

8. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Why couldn't he sell it? The Unofficial Star Wars Compendium was sold. As an eBook he could sell it for a very low price.

Since it is a non-fiction book that summarizes other fiction, it should be fine to print it legally as long as all the correct citations are made to the original works.

9. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Hmmm... that is a possibility worth investigating...

10. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Oh... Hadn't thought about that... Well, you got one customer Gath (and I'm sure many more). :p

11. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    Heh, gonna put me out of a blood job . . .

::smirk::

12. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    ::ahem: "bloodY". Blast those limited editing periods on these boards...

13. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    Go Nate, go Nate, it's your birthday, it's your birthday...

oh yeah, timetales, great.

*ahem*

anyway,

Nick "SWT for me" Long

14. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    I'm being stalked!

On the topic at hand, though, it'd be interesting to hear Mr. Wallace's comments on the idea, since it'd sort of overwrite his Essential Chronology. :)

15. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    If I'm remembering correctly, there have been several Star Trek non-fiction works of an "unofficial" nature published over the last several years...it's all quasi-metafictional in flavor; most of them are analyses of continuity and so forth, but are able to be published because the proper copyright indicia are appended to the works.

As long as the author and publisher make it abundantly clear that profiteering and and usurpation of the copyright owner's rights are not at all intended -- in many cases, but not all, it should be noted -- most studios will let them slip through as "unauthorized."

But again, this should be looked into by an attorney before submission, either one hired by an individual, or (more likely) those employed by publishing firms for this very eventuality.

16. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Well, what do you know? As I mentioned earlier...it CAN happen. Here is a posting from a few days back by J. Michael Straczynski, creator and Grand Poobah over all things Babylon 5, pretty much the most profound space-bound media-SF series yet produced:

-=-=-=-=

Subject: from jms: b5 quote book needs you
    Date: 05/22/2002 09:33 PM
    Forum: Usenet

It had to happen sooner or later...with so many message boards and posts asking
    "What's your favorite B5 quote?" a book of Babylon 5 quotes was inevitable.

So "But In Purple I'm Stunning: Quotations from Babylon 5" is coming out from an independent publisher later this year. The book will also contain sections dedicated to fan choices for best/favorite quote. Fans of Babylon 5 are invited to send in their favorite quote, and why it's a favorite. The best of these emails will be culled for the book, and along the way this will determine the #1 favorite quote.

In particular, the book will be looking for anecdotes/stories from fans about what a given quote, or what the show, meant to them in particular. There are a lot of people who have found comfort or meaning in the show, or found it helped them get through some of life's problems. (An example I sometimes cite at conventions was the young man dying of aids who asked his sister to put all of G'Kar's speeches about hope and never giving up on tape so he could listen to them at his bedside.)

It needn't be a heavy story, just one that has meaning for the person involved,
    can be a funny story, whatever. Basically the goal is to find the intersection
    where the show and its message and its words touched people.

All contributions will be considered free to use by virtue of being submitted
    for this project.

So if you have such an anecdote/story/message about a favorite quote or the show in general, send it to the following address (rather than replying to
    this, since I'll just have to forward it on in any event):

b5quotes@yahoo.ca

Thanks.

jms

(jmsatb5@aol.com)
    (all message content (c) 2002 by synthetic worlds, ltd., permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
    and don't send me story ideas)

-=-=-=-=

Like I mentioned, "unofficial" works are indeed possible, but it should be taken on a case-by-case basis with the intellectual property-holders.

17. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Publishing TimeTales as an ebook would kind of defeat the purpose. So instead of reading it at our computer, we can read it...at...our computer?

Not everyone has a portable ebook reader, you know.

A great big, unabridged, published version would be a dream come true, however...especially with all the illustrations found on the HTML version. Alas, it'll probably never ever ever happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.