main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NV Star Wars, every version is valid.

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Axia_Doneeta, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Axia_Doneeta

Axia_Doneeta Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    I was re-watching Star Wars The Legacy revealed the other day. You may recall it was that special that debuted on the history channel last year. Anyway it talked about how Star Wars is our modern day myth like the stories of Greek or Roman gods of old and that got me thinking.

For me at least, Star Wars does seem to be taking on some aspects of an ancient myth. Take for instance the OT, Special edition, DVD releases and fan edits of the Star Wars Saga. Are not all these different versions of the same story like the telling of an ancient myth around a camp fire? What ancient myth is ever told the same way?

Especially with fan edits the Star Wars movies are now being retold again and again around the camp fire with changes each time it is told. I like to think of these editors as simply telling a story, not as they remember it in this case but, as they prefer to see it.

Well, thats my deep thought for the day. What do YOU think?

2. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    I agree. Heck, Blue Harvest was sort of another way the myth is being retold.

3. Darth_Tofu

Darth_Tofu Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    Read The Hero With 1000 Faces by Joseph Campbell. It talks all about the 'universal myth' which is the storyline Star Wars follows. Very interesting.

4. Axia_Doneeta

Jun 8, 2005
    Ive always heard about Joesph Campbell's influence on out beloved Star Wars universe but never checked out his writing. Perhaps its time I did so. Thanks for posting Tofu, we must reignite this board again.

5. Darth_Tofu

Darth_Tofu Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    agreed :)

we can do it!

Anyhow, I have read three of Joseph's Campbell's books, and they are all interesting and somewhat relevant to the storytelling in star wars, but really the two best are the hero with 1000 faces (because it analyzes the hero's journey) and the power of myth, which is really a transcripted interview.

6. Axia_Doneeta

Jun 8, 2005
    I saw a video on him since I first posted on this thread. The master (Lucas) was on it but it had to have been back in '87 86 though. awesome stuff. Im downloading a 6 part series on Campbell now.

7. Axia_Doneeta

Jun 8, 2005
    Started watching the six part series, fascinating stuff.