Classics Star Wars: Ewok and Droids Cartoon Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by vong333, Mar 3, 2008.

1. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    I have to agree with you there. One of the decisions LFL made that got the excitement to a fever pitch for the PT was the release of the special editions of the original films. All it really was was the same films we've seen a million times. What made it special beyond the few edits was the fact an entire new generation could grow up with the films and actually see them on the big screen. I think a little merchandising effort on the part of these old shows and series would have the same effect for the animated film and subsequent animated/live action series.
  2. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    That is a great idea. I had never seen the old cartoon series and think it would be kind of cool to see them.
  3. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    I actually grew up watching those cartoons on Saturday mornings when that was the only day of the week cartoons ran for that long. The cartoons came at a time when the OT was done and we felt there would never be any sort of new Star Wars material. I remember really loving those toons.
  4. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I'd disagree there a little- both projects were already in the works and announced circa 1995, though the success of the SEs helped clear the road for TPM in terms of release date windows and competition. The early 90's VHS/Thrawn Trilogy/Hasbro relaunch/collectors craze that really helped push things forward, coupled with Jurassic Park's CGI accomplishments.
  5. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    You know, I do agree with that. The Thrawn trilogy really did breathe new life into the franchise. I know I loved the books, devoured them, and consider them to this day to be Episodes 7-9.
  6. Blur Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree that now is the best time to release the complete "Droids" and "Ewoks" series, now that SW is once again in the public eye because of the forthcoming "Clone Wars" film. In a couple more months, of course, the TV show will be out also, but now is still the best time to release these older cartoons to DVD.

I think the preferred way to do this is to release the "Droids" and "Ewoks" series separately instead of together - this would make each boxed set less expensive (and more desirable to the casual fan), and also there are probably some out there who would prefer one show over the other, and would thereby be only interested in owning one of the sets.
    Speaking just for myself, I would buy both "Ewoks" and "Droids" irregardless of how they were packaged, as long as each series was complete - all of the episodes for each series would need to be unedited (albeit with the commercials missing, of course). "The Great Heep" is a necessity for the "Droids" set, also.

I agree that the "Droids" set should include the short animated segment with Boba Fett (mentioned in the quoted post) that was originally in the Holiday special from the late '70's (still not released to DVD). The animation used during the special was by the same animation company as "Droids" and "Ewoks", so it would completely fit into this set.

Anyway, as others have said, I am truly amazed that these SW cartoons have still not been released to DVD. They are actually the only significant SW-related TV shows that have not been released (I'm not counting most of the Holiday special, which by all accounts was poor).

I remember watching these cartoon when they were first out in 1985 (and somewhat in '86), and really enjoying them. Not only were these cartoons of exceptional quality, but, as others have mentioned, these came at a time when there was virtually no new SW material out there.
  7. BC_SW_fan Jedi Knight

star 1
    I wonder if there's any chance that these could be released around Christmas? If that's when the Clone Wars movie comes out on DVD (I think I heard that's when it's coming out) then that would be the ideal time to release complete series sets from Droids and Ewoks. With the new TV series in full swing, what better time? I know we haven't heard anything like this from LFL, but surely it would have crossed someones mind wouldn't it?
  8. Blackout Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree wholeheartedly :)
    And I'll say again that while we're on the subject of wish-lists, I'd like Anthony Daniels and Ben Burtt to do (preferably) a commentary for one or two Droids episodes, or alternatively a featurette with them both on :) I'd also like a featurette highlighting the connecting points of Droids and the OT (Bounty hunters, Stormtroopers, non-Jedi using a lightsaber) and Droids and the PT (four-armed diner owners, Boonta race, Bodgen etc).
    Oh, and can we have a featurette with Steve Sansweet showing some of the Droids and Ewoks items from his collection?

That'd be sweet :)
  9. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    No, you know what would make it more awesome? Have a DVD play option that during each commercial break in an episode, they'll play an old Kenner SW commercial or two. :D
  10. BC_SW_fan Jedi Knight

star 1
    I really like all those ideas! I would REALLY like a commentary! The commercials would be great too! I wish there was a way to pass some of these ideas on to LFL or at least get a read on how close they are to releasing these.
  11. kecen Force Ghost

star 4
    The Ewoks series being the basis of an RP I had last year, I'd like to see more of it. There's creatures and plot points not seen in the current novels, and a focus on nonhuman characters (albeit some smushy ones who act like short humans). Individual planets rarely get the treatment Endor got in this one. I can imagine a xenobiological team stumbling upon Endor's wilder inhabitants...

The best case scenario would be a sequel where EU scientists find all the kooky sentient natives of Endor and their invisibility soap fascinating released in conjunction with a boxset. Although it would mean a huuuuge retcon of everything, and I hate retcons (especially if they try to "fix" any EU characters who challenge the cliche black-and-white views Lucas put down) D:
  12. DarthLassic007 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I didn't really like the Ewoks cartoons, but the Droids were cool.
  13. LawgSkrak Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't know why people get so excited for these to come on DVD. Even if we get a complete series boxset for both shows, Lucas is just gonna splice them together into a series of craptastic films.

One day people will learn; Lucas doesn't give a rat's behind what the fans ACTUALLY want. He puts out what he thinks is a superior version, when in actuality he's wrecking every television show he's ever been involved with.

Now, if we get a boxset with the actual unedited, original music score, original EVERYTHING version of these shows, I'll be first in line to grab them. Otherwise, count me out.
  14. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I think your being a bit negative about the scenario. The current DVDs have the "movie edits" because they were handy and could easily be tossed onto a DVD to cash in with Clone Wars GT. They were onhand like that because that's how they were last released to video on VHS (a format that didn't permit affordable full-season boxsets generally).

A full boxset would take less work just porting the single episodes to DVD than if they edited all the episodes into movies, since not every episode was movie-edited.
  15. LawgSkrak Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes, but let's look at Lucas' track record.

Last time any Ewoks/Droids were released they were edited into movies, Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, also edited into movies. Same with the Clone wars animated shows. And the end result is always inferior to the original format.

So I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that we'll never see the original, unedited versions of any of these shows on DVD. And I'm almost positive that the new CW TV show and the live action series will probably be edited into movie form when they eventually are released on DVD/BluRay/whatever format.

Hopefully, I'm wrong. But for some reason, I don't think I am.
  16. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    The CW volumes let you view the single chapters or the movie-edit version, though. And I assume that the Young Indy edits partially result from excising the Old Indy bookends.
  17. DarthLassic007 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Not saying you're wrong or not, but how come you don't like each individual episode edited into a movie? Just curious. I loved how the DVDs of Clones Wars volume one and two came out.

18. LawgSkrak Force Ghost

star 4
    Because I just don't. It was less jarring in the second CW DVD, because it was basically one big story anyway, but the episodes of the first series of CW bounced all over the place, some having nothing to do with others.

I know you could watch them seperately in Chapter format, but they should have left the titles etc in there.

I like my shows on DVD to be the shows as I watched them on televison.

19. Blur Force Ghost

star 4
    I have to agree - the preferred way to release these "Droids" and "Ewoks" episodes is as episodes, which is how they were seen on TV back in the '80's. Editing them into movies would invariably result in some key sequences being cut out, which is something I would prefer does not happen.

Also, if they release every episode to DVD there is no reason why they should edit them into movies - it would actually be more work/time/money to do this, and would be much easier to just release the individual episodes.
    Of course, on some TV DVD's you have a "Play all" option, which allows you to play the episodes one after the other without having to go back to the main menu. I would be fine with this as an option.
  20. TigerCraneFist Chosen One

star 4
    I doubt Anthony Daniels would be up for that. I met him last year and asked him to sign my Droids DVD, and we had a conversation that went like this:

Daniels: "Oh, I had such a hard time doing those."
    Me: "Really, why is that?"
    Daniels: "The scripts were awful!"

Then he gave me a picture from the show and signed it, free of charge. It's framed on my wall now :p

But he seemed to actually really dislike Droids.
  21. BC_SW_fan Jedi Knight

star 1
    That's interesting to hear about Anthony Daniels. Your right, he probably wouldn't want to do a commentary. Still, it would be nice if there could be some commentary by writers like Ben Burtt, or at least an interview in a behind the scenes special feature.

On another topic, I read somewhere this week (Galactic Hunter I think) that the Droids and Ewoks DVD's were starting to be pulled from the shelves along with the original Clone Wars series and the Ewok movies. Has anyone noticed this? They haven't been on the shelves in a long time here, but local distribution has always been bad anyway. If they are all being pulled, I hope that's a sign that there could be new improved editions on the way in the not so distant future.
  22. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    Does anyone have any information on any future release of these shows? My collection feels incomplete without the entire Droids and Ewoks cartoon.
  23. Blur Force Ghost

star 4
    Sorry, there is no news re: any possible future release of these "Droids" and "Ewoks" cartoons. However, if anyone hears anything official, please post it here.
  24. MatthewZ Force Ghost

star 4

I've named two of my pet guinea pigs Cindel and Malani. So the Ewoks have had some value. At least to me :)
  25. BC_SW_fan Jedi Knight

star 1
    Does anyone know if any of the characters that were created for Droids have appeared anywhere else outside of the series? I know that Mungo Baobab appeared in a recent Hyperspace story, but beyond that I haven't heard of any others showing up anywhere. I'm hoping that since the live action series is based in the same time period that there may be a few mentions about the Fromm gang and Boba Fett's droid BL-17.