main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics Star Wars: Ewok and Droids Cartoon Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by vong333, Mar 3, 2008.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Not really- the prequels were released by themselves as they came out, and when the OT hit DVD for the first time, ROTS wasn't out on DVD yet, so they couldn't do it then. By that point, most people already had the movies on DVD, minus ROTS. Later on they did repackage the OT for the non-SE versions, though they claimed they were "bonus features" and the rerelease was just for the 30th anniversary of SW "(thus rereleasing the OT and not the PT- though I think a PT boxset was made by this point).

And by time that was all done, there wasn't much of a market- I mean, SW fans and the general public already have copies of the trilogies/movies they want on DVD- how many people will really rebuy them 2 years later? Even the most recent VHS rerelease waited 5 years between releases (1997-2002).

At this point, they're probably just waiting to do a Blu-Ray release of all 6 movies, since thats something "new" to sell.

2. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    what they need to do is get the complete ewok and droids series released. its one piece of star wars lore that is still not released in it's eniterity.

3. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    Is there a website where I can watch episodes of this?

4. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    (removed)

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    AFAIK there are no legal sites distributing these shows at the moment.

6. BC_SW_fan

BC_SW_fan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2008
    It's not a place where you can watch episodes, but there is a fan site out there that has a Droids and Ewoks emphasis: http://droidsandewoks.weebly.com/ If it's not okay to have a link here then a mod can delete it.
    Personally, I would like to see these shows get more attention. If LFL isn't too enthusiastic about complete season DVD's, couldn't they at least put legal copies of episodes on starwars.com, like they are doing with the Clone Wars?

7. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yeah, but without any edits.

8. jsith99

jsith99 Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2009
    Lucasfilm has a bad habit of dropping projects. Young Indy was origanaly released on VHS but we only ended up with about half the movies due to low sales and DVD format picking up steam at the time

This is my opinion but I think that Lucas licensing gets too greedy on these projects like Droids witch is only 15 episodes. Any other company would have put them all in a complete season boxset and called it a day But not Lucasfilm they would rather break these episodes into 3 or 4 seperate releases so they can milk more money out of the Star Wars fans. Unfortunatly when this strategy backfires and the fans dont buy due to getting incomplete sets they drop the project and the fans get the shaft.

Notice that they are using the same strategy with CW we already have 2 or 3 seperate releases of just a couple episodes. I count myself lucky that I'm getting a full season boxset later in the year.

9. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

Alright, it's been pointed out on another website that 2010 is the 25th anniversary of the Droids & Ewoks cartoon series, which was first broadcast on TV in Fall 1985.

So, now would be the perfect time to release this entire series on DVD. As I've mentioned in previous posts on this thread, IMHO the ideal way for this to be released would be as follows:

Droids

- Boxed set of the first and only season (1985-1986). Should include all episodes in order of their release (w/commercials edited out), including "The Great Heep" TV Special (1986).

Ewoks

- Boxed set of both seasons (1985-1986, 1986-1987). Should include all episodes in order of their release.

Special Features

- At the least, should include the animated Boba Fett sequence from the late '70's SW Holiday Special , which has never been released in any form. Since the same animation company did both the Droids & Ewoks cartoons and this animated sequence, this would be very appropriate.

That being said, I would also be more than happy to buy a big boxed set of both the Droids & Ewoks cartoons packaged together, if that was the only way they decided to package/market these.

(Keeps fingers crossed)....

10. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Does this Ewok fan want this? Chak!

Ewok Poet likes this.
  11. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    I can actually understand them waiting this long. Judging by how quickly the shows originally ran their course, it seems they weren't well-received by the general audience back in the day. I know I found them tough to stick with at the time, and counted myself a HUGE SW fan. When I heard about the Clone Wars CG series being in the making, my first instinct was to compare it (unseen) in my mind to these offerings. I found myself looking very much forward to the show, knowing it was going to be so much better than these.

In only the past couple of years have I picked up the truncated 2004 release of Droids/Ewoks. I was surprised by how much better they were than I remembered them, esp. Droids. It's overall very true to the SW universe. While Ewoks is more aimed at kids, it's not terrible by any stretch. I do definitely lament the removal of the original music, especially Stewart Copeland's theme. But I don't have any real nostalgia for the episodes themselves since I really didn't watch most of 'em.

Now Clone Wars has come along and repaired what LFL may have considered a black eye in some ways. I can easily see them not wanting to have given the old shows a push while they were launching what many would consider to be a vastly superior product. It was an uphill battle, especially since the theatrical feature died on the vine and a lot of the more negative fans were assuring us "It's gonna be no better than Droid or Ewoks". But now TCW is an established powerhouse, having basically reinvented SW for a whole new generation of fans. LFL has little left to prove.

The time is ripe to collect these series NOW.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, keep in mind their context- not many 80's sat morning cartoons went past a couple seasons, even the hit (or mildly successful) ones. Transformers only had 3 seasons (not counting the Rebirth 4-parter), for example.

13. BC_SW_fan

Jul 16, 2008
    It would be nice if sometime an effort was made to make a link between an old TV series like Droids and the current Clone Wars. A character like Admiral Screed would have been an important Republic officer during the time of the Clone Wars (at least according to what I read on Wookieepedia). A mention or an appearance from him would be a good way to tie the vintage TV series to the modern one.

14. Cungr_Vanck

Cungr_Vanck Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2008
    Count me down as another vote for a DVD/Blue Ray release of "Ewoks" and "Droids." I remember watching them when I was small and then watching them as a teenager when they were on the Sci Fi channel in the mornings. When they released those few edited-episodes-to-make-a-movie of both on DVD a few years back, I happily picked them up.

They were not perfect, but they were fun and the nostalgia factor is high on this one.

However, I remember hearing Steve Sansweet saying that the chances of these coming out were low to never happening. He also said that he has been proven wrong before as well. So who knows...

15. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    I'd even be happy with Volume sets, as long as the episodes were released in their original format, not spliced into movies. They could put all the Trigon-1 episodes on one disc, etc etc.

16. BC_SW_fan

Jul 16, 2008
    Unfortunately I won't be getting to Celebration 5, but if anyone else is, I hope they can find a chance to ask about a future DVD or Blueray release if there is a Q&A session. I'm confident that it will happen someday, but I'm just eager to hear if anything's in the works now!

17. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Though there is still absolutely no news (official or otherwise) on any future DVD boxed-set release of Ewoks/Droids, I remain cautiously optimistic that we will see these at some point.

For what it's worth, I'm a regular reader of the website tvshowsondvd.com, which daily updates the TV shows (live action and cartoons) that will be hitting DVD in the near future. And, there are lot of obscure (and some not so obscure) shows coming out on DVD in 2010 (for the first time) that I never thought we would see, including: Family Matters Season 1, Tales of the Gold Monkey Entire Series, Max Headroom Entire series, and the cult-classic MTV cartoon Daria - Entire series (May 2010). I consider some of these shows much more obscure and possibly less popular than Ewoks/Droids. So, if these can be released, hopefuly there's a chance for an Ewoks/Droids boxed set with all of the episodes. We'll see.

18. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

I love Lucasfilm and I don't mind that "they know how to make a buck", but at the same time I'm confused by their attitude.

What are they worried will happen if they release EWOKS and DROIDS on DVD?

Show some love for the fans.

A decent release of the EWOOK movies would be nice too.

19. n8storm

n8storm Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    I'm guessing they'll talk Ewoks & Droids some at the Celebration V Animation Collecting panel. I know they won't, but it would be cool if they announced at Celebration a complete release of these two series is coming.

20. Fat_Rancor_Keeper

Fat_Rancor_Keeper Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 17, 2010
    Is there anyway for LFL to do some type of a limited run where only folks online can order such DVD's?

Wouldn't that alleviate financial concerns of DVD's sitting on store shelves collecting dust?

21. BC_SW_fan

Jul 16, 2008
    I would be delighted if they did announce complete DVD's of these at Celebration V! I still think that if Lucasfilm doesn't want to risk a large scale DVD release, they could just make all the episodes available to download from the official site. Shouldn't be too much of a risk there with zero cost for manufacturing, packaging, etc.

22. n8storm

n8storm Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    A company like Shout! Factory would jump at the opportunity to release these two series on DVD. Lucas should just license them out to another company.

23. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    For those that are going to San Diego Comic Con as well as the Star Wars Celebrations V in Orlando, Fl need to ask whats going on with a possible release of Droids and Ewoks cartoon series. I hope someone asks cause this is bad.

24. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I've only seen the cut-together movies, and I would really like to see the series in their entirety.

Unfortunately, it probably won't happen until TCW is over. :(

25. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Seconded. That would be excellent. I'd also like an interview/featurette with Anthony Daniels talking about Droids (even though I understand he doesn't have particularly great memories of it), and a one with Ben Burtt, talking about the episodes he wrote.

It'd also be nice to have a featurette focusing on links to the movies. Like Boba Fett and IG-88 from the OT making appearances, as well as items which would re-appear in the PT, like the Boonta race, and a diner-proprietor with four arms ;)