Classics Star Wars: Ewok and Droids Cartoon Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by vong333, Mar 3, 2008.

1. dewback_rancher Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Personally, I PREFERRED Ewoks to Droids, though it may just be because I'm a total Ewok fanboy. [face_laugh]
  2. BC_SW_fan Jedi Knight

star 1
    That was a good episode. That was a pretty close call for the Emperor! I wonder if he foresaw that one?
  3. Blur Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks very much for the info. - I just recently read all of these articles and they're very interesting/informative. The article on J.C.'s "Droids"-related art was especially cool, and it really shows that there are still a lot of fans of these two shows.
  4. LawgSkrak Force Ghost

star 4
    Can somebody please provide direct links to these articles? I can't find them anywhere!
  5. LawgSkrak Force Ghost

star 4
  6. Blur Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey, I just looked on starwars.com for these Droids/Ewoks articles and couldn't find them anymore. They were on the site about a month ago, but it's possible that they were removed to make way for new material. If I can find the articles again I will post the link here, but as of right now it looks like they're off that site (If I'm mistaken, please post here since I would like to read these again as well).
  7. LawgSkrak Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, I never found them.
  8. Gilrod Force Ghost

star 1
    A simple search for "droids cartoon" on the OS produced these results:

http://www.starwars.com/vault/collecting/droids_ewoks_25th_anniversary/index.html
    http://www.starwars.com/vault/collecting/droids_comics_giveaway/index.html
    http://www.starwars.com/vault/collecting/jeff_carlisle_droids_revisited/index.html
  9. LawgSkrak Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey, thanks, Gilrod.

Funny, when I do the exact same search, I get none of those.
  10. GreyJedi23 Jedi Master

star 1
    I have never seen these but from some of the snippets of info I've read from wookiee, these series look goofy as heck [face_mischief]
  11. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost

star 4
    It was a kiddish saturday morning cartoon, and ewoks was even more so. Because of the time it was released, all american made cartoons were sort of restricted of what could be shown in regards to violence.
  12. BC_SW_fan Jedi Knight

star 1
    Will this be the year? 26 years, and still no complete series sets. What will it take for LFL to finally make a move?
  13. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    Another petition? [face_beatup]
  14. BC_SW_fan Jedi Knight

star 1
    I know I would certainly sign it!
  15. Blur Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes, it's a darn shame that these underrated cartoons still haven't seen a comprehensive DVD release. I really want these - in fact, if Lflm. were to only release these on Blu-ray DVD I would go out and buy a Blu-ray player for the sole purpose of seeing these (I don't have a Blu-ray DVD player yet).

Anyway, I'm glad to see this thread keeps being bumped by fans of these series. I would definitely sign a petition for these cartoons as well.

As far as these being "just for kids", I agree the Ewoks series was pretty much aimed @ children. That being said, I still want the whole series since the stories were entertaining & the animation by Nelvana was excellent. And, for SW fans who like references to the larger SW universe, there was at least one episode focusing on the Imperials ("Battle for the Sunstar").

However, the superior cartoon was obviously "Droids" - great animation which focused on the high-tech aspects of the SW universe with excellent stories. And, this had cameos by Boba Fett, Sy Snootles (or a Snootles-like creature), OT SW vehicles, etc.

Here is a good website with episode synopses, a link to an old "SW Insider" article about the shows, etc.

http://www.lucasfan.com/animated/animated.html

I can't believe it's been almost 30 years since I've seen either of these shows....
  16. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    Now this is a petition that I would definitely sign. This series should have been released a while ago
  17. Darth_Tarkus Jedi Master

star 4
    I watched the Droids cartoon on youtube a few times and didn't find much of value in it. Can any fans recommend some good episodes?
  18. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost

star 4
    You know when they release this it'll be altered and updated, just like the 20th aniversary edition was.
  19. DarthMarino Force Ghost

star 1
    A certain bearded individual to completely retire from Lucasfilm.
  20. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    It's very much about the 'retro' appeal, so it has to be watched with the original music, rather than on the recut feature length versions on the DVD's.

I'd go for the first story arc, 'The White Witch', which is episodes 1 -4. At least Boba Fett's in it.
  21. ezekiel22x Force Ghost

star 4
    Never watched Droids, but I just found a random clip on youtube where R2 plugged into a jukebox before proceeding to bust out some break-dancing moves. In other words, this show is amazing!
  22. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    You know that it would be cool if they go ahead and release this stuff.
  23. Blur Force Ghost

star 4
    I could be wrong about this, but I suspect that those of us who saw Droids/Ewoks when they were originally on TV may be more enthused/supportive of any possible DVD releases than those fans who never saw the shows before. They definitely have a 1980's Saturday Morning cartoon tone/vibe to them; and, if you've grown up watching newer animation (i.e., '90's-on), you may not enjoy these as much as older fans. That being said, I would hope that those newer fans who haven't had exposure to the shows before give them a chance (if they're ever released to DVD, that is) since, IMHO, these shows (especially Droids) are quality animation at it's finest, as well as being great entries in the SW universe/mythology as a whole.
  24. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    What many fans do not know is that these shows at the time were the most expensively done episodes. Almost $800,000 each per episode in a time, when charatcers could not punch, kick, or kill charcaters. For those of us that remember, this was the Smurfs, Rainbow Bright, My Little Pony Era. Or for the more masculine, He Man, G.I. Joe, Thundercats, Voltron, and Transformers.
  25. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    All of which were cartoons created solely to flog toys (Smurfs might be an exception, being an existing franchise, just as Star Wars was). According to an old SW Insider article, this was due to a relaxing of the regulations concerning children's TV in the 1980s. The Simpsons sent up such cartoons with "The Mattel and Mars Bar Quick Energy Chocobot Hour".

I've been working in Australian kids' TV for a few years - you can't have any brand names visible or mentioned at all these days. Thanks to clueless costume/prop/art departments, it's led to a good few budget blowouts on several shows - blurring out the Apple logo, covering up soft drink cans, even removing a barely visible label on a baby's nappy.

I doubt that either Droids or Ewoks are going to be turning up on DVD as they were originally presented any time soon - does anyone have the recut movie-length DVDs? For a diehard completist, are they worth buying for any reason, or should I just be satisfied with the poor quality, authentic VHS rips? From what I've heard & read, the existing DVDs have new music, which, I'm assuming, doesn't capture that old-school mid-1980s feel.