main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars Ewoks: Shadows of Endor

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kez-Iban, May 14, 2013.

1. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Behold, a new interview with preview pages!
    http://www.newsarama.com/18619-from...nub-ewoks-get-own-star-wars-comic-series.html

Interesting stuff:
    - Ewoks #1 as the interview calls it is the first one in the new Ewoks series of graphic novels. It has 80 pages and will be released October 16th.
    - It is set after the cartoon and before the TV-movies (I thought that they were other way round?)
    - 8 months before RotJ, Lt. Ranz is building stuff
    - Charal the Nightsister is in!
    - So are Duloks as terrifying enemies

Looking very good. Hopefully one of the next graphic novels has the pantless pirates from Ewoks #2.

2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Charal is in! Huzzah! But... what about the Sanyssan Marauders?

3. jaoblias

jaoblias Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 23, 2012
    YES I'm so excited that this is going to be a series

4. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Hm. Someone with more Ewok knowledge than I will have to critique the timeline choice there.

Other than that, looks good. I like the art style and a more serious take on the Duloks sounds fun. I just hope they don't try to shovel in too many cameos. :p

EDIT: Also interesting that the author calls out Kneesa and Latara as underappreciated female characters. A good sign, I think.

Ewok Poet and Baga like this.
  5. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I want to avoid the timeline mess with the Ewok movies, but what is the general consensus for why Wicket can no longer speak basic if these films take place before ROTJ? I always assumed they were after ROTJ until I started reading timeline discussions here on the boards.

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

That Cindel and he did not actually speak Basic, but some other language.

BigAl6ft6 and my kind of scum like this.
  7. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    My only "fear" is that the Sanyassan Marauders won't appear in the series. They *should* be there, since they had been living on Endor for about 100 years by the time of the series. Furthermore, Charam will appear, and she was King Terak's consort.

my kind of scum likes this.
  8. my kind of scum

Mar 4, 2002
    Ahhh, I see. I hadn't considered that. Makes sense, I suppose.

And yes, I hope to see the marauders. (Man, I wish Hasbro would make figures of those guys... At least we got Teek. But I digress...)

9. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    man I can't wait for this. Thanks for posting the interview and preview.

10. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Charal! :D

LelalMekha likes this.
  11. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Star Wars Union has an interview with Zack Giallongo about this. No real story spoilers, but some behind the scenes discussion.

Also, huh, never noticed that Logray changed colors between RotJ and the Ewoks movies.

12. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Pointless unless there's tumble bunny trainer representation.

13. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Count me in!

14. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Here are some CBR-exclusive character bios. Nobody new, unfortunately. Also, DH has apparently declared this month "Ewoktober". o_O

Indeed. Fans have been long been clamoring for a gritty, modern reboot of the TBT character arc.

[​IMG]

COMING EASTER 2014!

Ewok Poet, Baga, instantdeath and 6 others like this.
  15. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    MY GOD where's that from?

16. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    I painted it as a warm-up sketch last night after seeing your comment. :p

17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Edit: Never Mind, was already posted

18. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    When's this coming out?

19. my kind of scum

Mar 4, 2002
    I got my copy from Amazon today, so apparently, it is out now. ;)

Looking forward to diving into it tonight.

20. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    EWOKS: SHADOWS OF ENDOR

I got it today and love this comic. A great bridge between the Ewok cartoon and ROTJ. However it also features sadly some continuity minefields:

Endor Timeline:

-EWOKS cartoon
    -Ewoks: Shadows of Endor (8 months before ROTJ)
    -4ABY ROTJ
    -Truce at Bakura
    -Marvel issues feat. Rebels at Endor for several months
    -EWOKS TV Movies (Cindel is 4 years old as per old starwars databank)
    -Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy Cindel mention
    -Essential Guide to Warfare Cindel mention

By placing the Ewoks movies after ROTJ, the Rebels time with the Ewoks explains well why they can speak Basic with the Towani family.

But the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy of awesome novels features a cameo of grown up Cindel Towani, now a young reporter living on Coruscant in 16ABY. As per the Essential Guide to Warfare she still was a reporter as of 41ABY.

Now if 16ABY she is a reporter, she at least should be a young adult to make it believable. Most planets in the GFFA reach adulthood at 16 years of age as indicated per drivers/starship permits and other sources ranging from West End Games to newer publications (with some worlds allowing that only at 18 or later even!).

IF Cindel is 16 in Tyrant's Test (Black Fleet Crisis), then she would be 4 years old in 4ABY during ROTJ, which is highly unlikely given the Imperial and Rebel presence on Endor's Sanctuariums moon for months (as per Marvel).

IF Cindel's Ewok adventures take place 5-7ABY only now, she would be much younger as a reporter in Black Fleet crisis. Before ROTJ they can't due to Charal being alive as per Shadows of Endor AND the Imperial presence since 8 months before ROTJ. Also Charal was alive during the Battle of Endor and the Rebel occupation afterwards? D'oh!

Sidenote: The 8 months dating also does not jive with the new Dark Horse comic by Brian Wood's Star Wars and its nearfinished second Death Star in orbit already shortly after A new Hope. But I prefer to ignore that continuity minefield that this comic is for now anyway. Thus back on topic:

Another continuity problem with Shadows of Endor is Noa Briqualon's backstory. He stranded on Endor around 26BBY and lived on Endor for decades... having the Endor movies take place after ROTJ not only has him experience and survive Imperial occupation but also the Rebel summer camp afterwards without leaving Endor.

PS: I should add, originally the Ewoks movies were supposed to take place before A New Hope and any Imperial presence. The Ewoks speaking basic was merely a moviething for kids and not explained much inuniverse aside some attempts to retcon it that could only ignore the fact that they did not speak basic in ROTJ again later then. But now Shadows of Endor solves the language problem.. but creates other problems sadly.
    PS #2: So Charal and Noa were alive during ROTJ, the Battle of Endor and did do nothing? Oh well... and I guess the Marauders arrived/crashed also only after ROTJ but before the Towani family crashed. It gets crowded since they were already crashed/established on Endor some time before the Towanis arrived, pushing their arrival even further down the timeline after the Rebels left Endor (with no evidence of a holocaust, crashed Stardestroyers (Rogue Squadron comic), Imperial bases or Rebel trash on Endor...

21. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I think it's less complicated than that. Did I miss a reference that requires that the Ewok movies take place after ROTJ now? The YA ROTJ novel has Wicket remembering the events of those films when he meets Princess Leia. I had assumed they took place slightly earlier than this, but eight months is plenty of time for the two movies to happen before ROTJ.

The absence of the Death Star II and the Imperial base from the Ewok movies is slightly confusing, but that's been an issue for some time now. (LFL has always put the cartoons and movies uncomfortably close to ROTJ while maintaining that it took four years to build the Death Star II there.)

I'd say the Ewok/Endor timeline looks something like this:

How the Ewoks Saved the Trees
    Adventures of Teebo
    Ewok cartoon/comics
    Shadows of Endor (8 months before Endor)
    Ewok movies
    Return of the Jedi

Again, the absence of the Empire in the bulk of the Ewok stories is at odds with their early appearance in force in other sources like Wood's Star Wars, Galaxies, and Choices of One, but that's no reason to push the Ewok movies and related events so far down the timeline.

TC

22. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Yeah, the Ewoks movies are still pre-ROTJ, explicitly per Behind the Magic and the ROTJ Junior Novelization. Nothing has changed.

23. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I'm not convinced there ever was a language problem. There is no reason that Cindel and her family needed to be speaking basic, it could have been any language, just translated for the audience.

I'm pretty sure that the Spartans didn't speak english either so when I'm watching say, 300, I assume it has been translated for my convenience.

24. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    StarWars.com all but confirmed that, too: "It is likely that the language Cindel was speaking was not Basic, but another language, and that it was translated into english for the benefit of the viewing audience. Thus, Wicket doesn't understand what Princess Leia is saying when those two meet.

25. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I've ordered this one, and the thing I'm wondering most about is how I'll be able to deal with the Teebo situation. Movie Teebo was one of my brother's favourite action figures, you know. And I can't imagine the Young Ewok Knights from the TV show showing up in a different combination. But from what I understand they decided to create a Teebo amalgam from the two representations...?