main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars Expanded Universe in 2 different dimensions ?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The_Matt, Mar 28, 2013.

1. The_Matt

The_Matt Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2013
    I want to ask you about the idea that i have.

Before reading : just have in mind that this is not rumor-based or anything. It’s 100% my thougt, not based on anything that Del Rey or Dark Horse said. It is „What if…” kind of question.

Let’s imagine scenario like that : Third Star Wars Trilogy happened. First of the new movies just premiered, and there is just NO WAY to retcon Expanded Universe. Episode 7 damaged the story from books, comics, games and other sources, so EU is unrecoverable and beyond help.

And then – embrace yourselves my big WHAT IF question is coming – Star Wars Books and other EU creators make a statement. EU as we know it, will be continued. But in two different dimensions.

Original dimension – let’s call it WORLD A for short – will continue the story we know from post RotJ books, while WORLD B is going to explore this new world that Disney Trilogy created.

Other books, like novelizations of the episodes 1-6 or Shatterpoint would be of course consistent to both worlds.

So. WHAT IF we would have this marvel-like situation in Star Wars ? Would you still be a fan ? Would you stick to WORLD A ? Maybe both ? Let me know.

Oh and if this post looks familiar - I also posted this question on my fanpage "I want new Star Wars movies to be consistent with Expanded Universe"

https://www.facebook.com/pages/I-wa...istent-with-Expanded-Universe/622285481118739

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The possibility of two post-RotJ timelines is definitely a real one, but if Episode VII does wipe the slate clean, I can guarantee you they won't continue publishing books in the existing EU universe. Disney is as much Lucas Books' boss as it is LFL's boss--and it looks like the last thing they want is material coming out that's not in lockstep with the ST.

Ulicus , kubricklynch and Darth_Pevra like this.
  3. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    This is secretly my preferred outcome. Don't tell anyone, though. [face_shhh]

Blip and Lazy Storm Trooper like this.
  4. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    It would be the only way to continue the story for those people that actually like the current EU and where it's been heading.

5. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    I seriously hope they will be able to salvage some of the EU. From what I understand if the rumors are true, part of the plot in ep7 will involve Luke starting an school and teaching new Jedi. Not very off base from what the EU has already done right? So maybe (I hope) that even if its not the same story exactly, we may still get something close that wont't screw up the EU stuff completely...I hope..

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I thought this scenario was confirmed when they announced Abrams was directing.

7. Obie-2-Kenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    The Jedi Academy scenario?

8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The worst thing that could happen is that the story is 90% similar to the EU--imagine a Praxeum on Coruscant. Better to just start over.

9. Obie-2-Kenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    I would think 90% similar would be good considering anything else would pretty much wipe out most of the EU taking place pot ROTJ.

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    My point was that the retconning involved in fixing the remaining 10% would weaken the Bantam era's structural integrity to the point that it wouldn't be worth the trouble. Say they were to adapt the JAT (shudder), except Daala carpet-bombs the Praxeum? Say they adapted TTT, but Pellaeon dies?

11. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    That would require Pellaeon not to retreat...

Not gonna happen. :p

12. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    2 universes? I'm totally for it. I don't care how tacky it would be. I still want my books and DH comics. How does a hobby just end? Imagine if they stopped making model planes?!

Minez01 likes this.
  13. The_Matt

The_Matt Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2013
    Hey, actually splitting EU into 2 different worlds may be a good thing.

If "WORLD B" is the one connected to new films, than this is the one important for producers.

They wouldn't care about "WORLD A" anymore.

And something like that would mean artistic freedom for writers :) They would be able to kill off Luke and other old characters and pass the leading role to the new Jedi generation ... Also WORLD A would be more dark and mature (As the WORLD B would be the one created for new fans [kids] )

14. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    I believe the solution will be to spin off a portion of the EU into a discrete alternate universe. Disney will then shut that universe down, publishing precisely zero new material within it, but keeping the existing material in print.

That universe is most likely to be 'Yuuzhan Vong Star Wars' and will consist of all extant EU material that fills the timeline dates of 25 ABY and onward. A somewhat less-likely option would be partitioning off everything that follows ROTJ, but I strongly suspect the ST can and will spare the Bantam Era to the point that most of that material can be retained with only modest retconning. After all, when the NJO began there were dramatic state changes from how things had been left at the end of Vision of the Future (Borsk goes from having his species tried for war crimes to chief of state!).

Regardless of the choice made it is in Disney's interest to keep a maximum focus on a single EU that incorporates the ST, while still milking the extant material that will be rendered into infinities for what money can be made from it. However it is very much not in their interest to allow said infinities to continue making new material - that would put Star Wars at war with itself, where fans constantly fight about which version is better. That's a bad idea, especially since it would probably place individual companies and indeed even parts of Disney in direct competition with each other.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I hope we can see stories in both timelines if there are two timelines but I fear that the current EU will not be continued at all. If the movies get their own EU why should they continue it? I want more stories but I don't see why they would.

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Blargh. Am I the only one who gets an "Emperor's New Clothes" vibe from the 2 (or multi) universe theory?

I mean, isn't this EXACTLY what we've been discussing in the other threads? If the post-ROTJ EU gets the ax from the new films and the the powers that be say "oh, the new EU is just a parallel universe," we've basically lost. Do you guys really think they're going to let Del Rey keep pumping out books about Luke/Leia/Han/etc? No way. If Del Rey keeps the license they're going to focus on the new EU. And the old EU's gonna be as dead as Anakin's mother. Whether the new powers-that-be tell us it was a parallel universe or not makes no difference -- it's just lip service.

17. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Yeah this has been discussed in pretty much every thread relevent to Episode 7 and effects on EU

18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I know I'm a broken record on this :p - but... well, Marvel? If that's a template to go by, maybe it will continue. I realize there's differences - after all it's Marvel Comics and Star Wars was originally the movies - but that's from our perspective. From the business perspective, there's only what's going to bring in sales. If they didn't force Marvel to change over everything lockstep with the (very profitable) movies, I have to wonder why they would for Star Wars.

19. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    The thing is that the films and the comics in Marvel are completely separate. You can watch the films without reading the comics and vice versa.

But SW EU was made to continue the story of the films. I assume there are very very few people who read SW EU who weren't fans of the movies first. If the SW EU stopped being a continuation of the films, sales would drop like a rock. People stuck through the crappy novels like Crystal Star or whatever because they thought there were getting the official continuation of the story.

20. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    I have come to the conclusion that no matter what the official position ends up being, I am going to view Star Wars as having two separate continuities. The first includes everything that we have now, up until things star to get really mousy-bad. The second is nothing but the films. I will ignore any further expanded universe crap that disney puts out.

However, I refuse to see this as a multiverse situation. These are two separate continuities, not parallel universes.

Darth Xalfrea and kubricklynch like this.
  21. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    As long as we keep getting good stories I couldn't care less

22. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Multiverse would just be horrendous indeed.

If they wanna keep continuities separate that's fine, but don't go all multiverse. Would just confuse matters.

Blip and Ulicus like this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I also don't see the post-ROTJ stories continuing in the same storyline if Disney retcons the existing ones. New stories will focus on the retcons.

In the Clone Wars era, there are stories that took place before the show, some of which have been retconned--Jedi Trial, the MedStar stories and the Obsession comics being the most grotesque examples--and there are the stories that came after, such as Karen Miller's stories, Wild Space giving TCW version of Anakin's knighting. I've been able to enjoy both series, but any future Clone Wars stories will follow the show's timeline as opposed to that which came before, and if Disney retcons the post-ROTJ EU, I'm sure future stories will do the same.

Yes, I'll read both, and which one I enjoy more will depend on which one is better written.

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The EU wouldn't stop being a continuation of 'the films', as 'the films' would be the OT and PT.

If the SW EU stopped being a continuation of the SW EU, sales would drop like a rock.

25. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    "The films" would be the OT, PT, and ST. New fans drawn in by the ST are gonna want to read books in that continuity. Disney wants to add fans not just keep the current ones.