main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga STAR WARS Extended Version (AU)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Binary_Sunset, Jul 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Wow. It's a shame you completly missed all the major points of the saga. [face_plain]

2. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    In this AU I'm going back to the time when Star Wars was a single movie and not a saga. When viewed as part of a saga, the 1977 SW film becomes a different thing. It becomes ANH. The other movies in the saga change the meaning of several significant parts in the 1977 SW film. If you want to view this film as part of a saga, you can already do that. I'm offering fans a fresh point of view from which they can view the initial movie as a self-contained whole.

3. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Well it's different I don't know if I would ever have got into Star Wars if it ended there. It was TESB that got me into Star Wars.

But I will say you do tie up what happens to Vader. But I just don't see how Luke could take him on. But again it ties up what happens to Vader nicely. ;)

4. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Thanks for your kind words! :)

Regarding Luke being able to defeat Darth Vader:

When looking only at the 1977 SW film, Vader wasn't as fearsome a foe in lightsabre combat as many fans imagine. Consider:

1. Who was Darth Vader?
    According to Ben, he was "A young Jedi...who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil." Also, later in the movie Vader told Obi-wan, "When I left you I was but a learner." It sounds as though Darth Vader left-off training with Kenobi at a relatively early time. Obviously, by turning to evil, no other Jedi would help continue Vader's training. He was, therefore, only a partly-trained Jedi knight, a mere pupil.

2. But he wiped-out all the Jedi, didn't he?
    No. In the words of Ben Kenobi, he "helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi knights." It was the Empire that destroyed the Jedi. Vader simply helped out. Kenobi's sentence says as much. Logic concurs. How could a half-trained Jedi, a mere pupil, really, wipe-out the entire Jedi order? The answer is that he didn't. He merely lent the Empire a helping hand.

3. So what exactly did Vader do to help get rid of the Jedi?
    We don't know for sure, but Ben's words can give us a hint. He told Luke that Vader "betrayed and murdered your father." That doesn't sound like Vader beat him in a fair fight. It sounds as though Vader sucker-punched Luke's father, so to speak. It's like a loud-mouth standing outside another guy's house and yelling for him to come out and fight. Then, when he does, the loud-mouth's buddies jump him and hold him while the loud-mouth punches him. Vader didn't go around challenging one Jedi after another to a duel. Instead, he betrayed them. He probably told the Empire "inside information" that only a former Jedi would know: location of their bases, weaknesses in their defenses, tactical strengths, etc.

4. OK, so you've shown that the young Vader wasn't a mighty warrior, but was instead an informer and a traitor. But surely by the time of the SW movie he'd become much more mighty, right?
    Well, Vader thought so. He told Kenobi, "When I left you, I was but a learner. Now I am the master." Did Kenobi agree? No. He replied, "Only a master of evil, Darth." He flatly denied that Vader was now the master. Vader's relatively awkward movements in the duel lend support to Kenobi's evaluation of Vader. Vader's skills probably atrophied rather than increased over the years. After all, what was the point of keeping up his technique? All the Jedi were dead as far as he knew. Ben, on the other hand, obviously had kept up his lightsabre practice. He was probably hoping against hope that some day his skills as a Jedi would come in useful.

To conclude this overly-long post: Vader was only a half-trained, rusty lightsabre fighter. Looked at that way, it is plausible that the very-little-trained Luke could defeat him. Luke wasn't fighting a master. He was fighting, so to speak, a high-school drop out who hadn't cracked a book in almost twenty years.

5. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    To conclude this overly-long post: Vader was only a half-trained, rusty lightsabre fighter. Looked at that way, it is plausible that the very-little-trained Luke could defeat him. Luke wasn't fighting a master. He was fighting, so to speak, a high-school drop out who hadn't cracked a book in almost twenty years.

When you put it that way it I can see how Luke would win the fight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.