main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Fan Club

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by Evil_X_13, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil_X_13

Evil_X_13 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2008
    Help is needed on the forums. I just opened the site and its not done yet. I have a little thing on each tab so please check it out and the message boards. The Message Boards just opened aswell and dont have anything ont hem so I need help.

Click Here
    Thanks.

2. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    What exactly do you need help with?

And welcome! :)

3. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Yes, welcome! :)

I like your site, though I think you should definitely change the background image on the main page, it kind of looks a bit strange with the four Star Wars images. I do like the black background. I would also advise that you link directly to the message boards rather than linking to a page and then linking to the message board.

About the message boards in general. I will reiterate jedimasterbac and ask what you need help with. Modding? Administrating? Simply posting around? I like that skin, looks good. However, I do not like the banner. It's a bit large, and offcenter which kind of distracts from the board itself.

So, just get back at us. :)

4. Evil_X_13

Apr 8, 2008
    Thanks guys. I would love if you can help me. I'll pm you about my issues.

5. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    I will try to help as much as I can. Though, as I said in the PM, it is always better to try things yourself so you can learn. Here is a couple of suggestions for you:

1.) Create a different forum as a test forum. That way, you can try things. The best way to learn things is to experiment, play with different things, push all the buttons you can in the admin panel to see exactly what they do. That's what I did when I first started and I have a general knowledge of things (not the best, but good enough for my purposes). The same can go with making your website.

2.) Don't be too willing to give out your details for your website/forum. There are people out there who enjoy screwing around with other people and screwing up your boards/website. I have seen it done before and it's no fun to clean up...if you're actually able to.

3.) You seem to have this down already, but don't be afraid to ask for help/suggestions. Go to support forums where you got your boards and ask around. There are plenty of people there who know what they are doing, especially the staff, and will be willing to help.

Like I said, I will be willing to help to the best of my ability, but I think you should do most of the work yourself. :)

6. Evil_X_13

Apr 8, 2008
    Okay thanks alot, I'll see what I can do. My friend is helping me right now.

7. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    That's good to hear. In regards to your questions via PM, here they are (I am posting them here with his permission in order to help anyone else who may have the same questions):

* when you click the link "message boards" it goes traight tot he boards
    If your web page is set up like I think it is, it is simple. If you are using simple HTML, then simply instead of linking to ( http://www.freewebs.com/starwarsfanclub0/messageboards.htm ), place the link to the forums there, instead. If you don't understand what I mean, I can try and clarify it better for you.

* how to get users for my forums
    There are several ways really. Advertise, advertise, advertise. This is the best possible way. Make cool banners that you will use as links to your site and give them to other websites in hopes of becoming what is known as an affiliate. Post the link to your website in your sig at other message boards, in your profile, etc. If there is an advertising board at another website, post a link to it in there. But, you want to be careful not to break any rules that any other place may have, that could be bad and will give you the opposite of what you want.

Also, make your site unique in some way. Do something that no other site, or very little sites, have. That way, people will want to come to your place. What that is, I don't know. Only you can decide that really. Be creative. If you succeed in both of those, than another method will reveal itself: word of mouth. The users of your site will like it and invite other members to your site.

Another one, register it with the search engines. I know there is a way to do this (I forget at the moment), but when you type in keywords, it will appear somewhere within google. I will get back to you with this one.

*general stuff i need to know about how to make my site look better
    Read my previous post about testing things out. Trial and error is really the best possible way to learn, IMO. :)

8. Evil_X_13

Apr 8, 2008
    Thanks alot.

9. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    No problem. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.