main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars fan fiction site - stories needed!

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by emimar, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emimar

emimar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2003
    I have a Star Wars fan fiction site with original character stories and minor characters. Feel free to send any fan fiction that complies to the rules and I'm looking for other fan fiction sites to link to that I find interesting.

Star Wars Character Cafe

2. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    I am looking for beta readers, as I have none at the moment, as these would be good for reviewing fics before they're posted on the site.

3. Angel-Blue01

Angel-Blue01 Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2005
    I 'll read it for you.

I could use a reader too.

Here's mine:
    http://angel_blue01.tripod.com/star_wars
    http://tgmp.cjb.net
    http://angel_blue01.tripod.com/siege_of_tibrin

4. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    I like the banner of your character cafe :)

5. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    Angel-Blue01-If you're interested in beta reading, I have a guestbook that you can sign guestbook

I need to find some beta readers as it might encourage more people to send in stories, which I have a lack of. I tried looking at your site but the links didn't work.

Dark_Lady_Jada - The banner was actually done by Liz, who runs a site called the The Force That Binds.

The history of Star Wars Cafe is kinda complicated - a couple of years ago, I had this idea for a site for minor & original character fan fiction, as I noticed that these stories seemed to get buried under aload of stories about characters like Obi-Wan, Luke Skywalker etc. Liz origially designed and ran the site when I had problems with getting access to a computer hooked up to the internet - then she had to give it up and the site came back to me. When I found bravenet, I changed the host to them instead of having it with geocities, as with bravenet I can edit web pages done in other programs.

6. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    I have thought about having a RPG forum on my site because the origin of many original characters is the RPG, but I have no experience of running one or even taking part in one, so if anyone is thinking of setting up a RPG and would be willing to run it, then I can host it on my site.

7. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    We could do with some new stories on my site.

8. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    I am working on some fan fiction for my site. When I am done, I can send it to you as well if you would like.

9. DarthGaul

DarthGaul Jedi Master star 3

May 25, 2004
  10. DarthGaul

DarthGaul Jedi Master star 3

May 25, 2004
    Uh....guess mine doesn't comply with your guidelines. Never mind I guess.

11. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    DarthGaul, Sorry if it seemed like I was ignoring you, I'd just remembered to check this thread - I've been busy putting a new layout up on my site and stuff like that. I think Yoda as a padawan is a unique perspective.

jedimasterbac, could you give me the links to the stories you wish to send me, so I could have a look at them, thanks.

12. 501st_LEGION

501st_LEGION Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2005
    that is a great site

keep it up

13. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    They are not finished yet.

14. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    jedimasterbac, could you keep me posted when you do have them finished? I like to read stories when they're complete. (a bit hypocritical, coming from me, that statement, when I never seem to finish any of mine, but there you go!)

501st_LEGION, thanks. It's a bit hard sometimes, trying to keep it going because I'm having techincal problems with my computer at the moment and so I have to rely on a friend's ancient computer (must have been made during the last Ice Age, I think) and the computers at the library to finish editing the web pages. The A drive's not working on the computer I'm using at the moment which is a pain in the butt...that's library computers for you!

15. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    I will do just that. But, if I was to have them on your site the only thing I would ask is if I could have a link back to my site. My website (Jedimasterbac's Alternative Saga) is dedicated to these stories, so I would just like people to know where they came from. No one uses the forums on my site so you wouldn't have to worry about it detracting members or anything :p

16. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    I've always linked to an author's site, anyway, when they've submitted a story, or if it's where I've found some nice ones I like. I do that with fan artists when they've drawn a character for me, as I think it's only fair.

17. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Hello. I have my own fan fiction on my own site, since I couldn't find anywhere online that would accept my stuff.

I'll act as a Beta reader. Nothing too long, eg. five pages. Am I offering constructive criticism, or what?

18. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    It depends just on how many stories I get submitted. At the moment, there aren't any new ones, but thanks for the offer of being a beta reader.

19. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    If you ever get anything short, feel free to shoot it over my way. I'm a writer at heart, so I can write reviews as well.

20. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    We could do with some fan fiction articles, you know, stuff about writing, Star Wars characters, aliens, planets. It's an idea I came up with to get people to visit the site more and maybe encourage people to submit stories. It seems much better doing it that way than just going around forums and saying "check out this site I made!" I hope by doing so, it'll give people a better idea on what to submit and things like that.

We could do with a review of the stories that are already on there, so maybe that could keep you busy. I want ones for the stories The Legend of Blacksaber, Starnger in a Strange Land and The Floating Fortress. (all the others are written by me and as I run the site, it would seem unfair if they were done first!)

21. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    So, if I understand correctly, instead of going around saying "check out this site I made, we need fan fic", you now are going around saying "check out this site I made, we need articles about writing fan fic"?

It is really hard to start a new site that has a huge dependancy on submissions from other users to survive, especially when starting from scratch and trying to compete with so many larger and established sites. Why should someone want to submit their article to your site instead of any one of the other sites, where far more people would read it and give them feedback?

Some more things I noticed while browsing your site...

Submissions page:
    Have your story beta read for grammer and spelling before submitting.

The irony in that statement is that you spelled "grammar" wrong.

Catagory:

Should be "Category:"

22. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    What's your problem, Yoda Jeff? My site has been going on for two years now, so it's not a new site. I've worked hard in putting right things what I thought was wrong with it, even when I don't have access to a decent computer at home because mine needs fixing. Even if it was working, I have to use the library for access to the internet, so anyone that says I'm not even dedicated to my site is wrong - most people would have given up considering all the hurdles I've had to overcome with just creating the thing.

23. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    Oh, and in repsonse to my last post, I didn't start this thread as a free-for-all, slaging-everybody-off match.

EDIT: From other threads I've come across on here, what's the point in having a board where people can put links to their sites and discuss them if all you get from it is sarcastic criticism? I've not done that to anyone here, so I don't expect the same in return.

24. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    Things I have done since May of this year to improve and fix the site:

Got a Forum at Jedi Girl and abandoned the one I had with ezboard because no one was posting there.

Changed the layout because it didn't look quite right - it used to be on the left side of the screen, now it's in the centre where it should be. I had to get rid of the link images for home, stories, forum, etc, because I couldn't replace them as my computer has been having techincal problems and needs fixing. To create the layout, I've been having to use a friend's really anicent computer, but it's so old that it doesn't let you create or edit jpeg or gif images, which is why I couldn't remake the link images!

I've changed the beta reader listing over into a guestbook, added a tagboard and an e-mail form for more interactivity with users.

I've cleared up much of the site as it had too many categories going everywhere, but created more story indexes to stop the origianl story index from getting over-crowded by having too many pages: I didn't want any particular stories getting more readers than others simply because they were on the first page, a real problem that you get on large sites such as this one, which is one of the reasons why SWCC was created in the first place!

The reason why Jungle World and Starchaser haven't been updated recently is because I've had techincal problems with my computer, as I have said and not been able to write long stories, so I've been having to write short ones instead (really gets on my nerves, because they've not been as good quality as my usual stuff as I've been having to rush them and cutting them short wheras if my computer was fixed, they would come to a more natural end.) The other reason is that I've been working making improvements to the site and with the difficulties I've been having with my computer, I've had to prioritise what I do when I'm in the library, plus the fact that you only get a limited time in the library and you can't really concentrate on writing long stories.

(Maybe I should stick this in my Web Journal.)

25. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    It wasn't meant to be sarcastic criticism. This board is useless if people only post "good site!", and don't try to help you improve it. If my criticism came off as sarcastic, I'm sorry. I'm glad you've put a lot of time and effort into your site. I never said you weren't dedicated to your site. Dedication is definitely very important when creating a fan site.

However, my statement is still true. It is really hard to compete with well-established sites.

You also didn't answer my question - why would someone want to post their fan fiction at your site when there are other sites that are better established and have far more visitors?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.