Star Wars fan fiction site - stories needed!

Discussion in 'Fan Sites' started by emimar, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emimar Jedi Knight

star 3
    I realise that - it was just at first glance it did seem a little sarcastic. I also guess I had a bad day, too.

I sometimes think that it would be better if they let people talk about their sites (if it's a fan fiction one) over in the fan fiction boards, but you've got to be careful about stuff like that because they treat it as spam if you do, though I did get away with it once. Here's the link to that thread, but it's locked now and I don't think it will be appropriate to unlock it again.

You did get a reponse back then. I don't know if it was locked because the time ran out or that it was a mod who locked it, so I don't want to cause some bother over that.

One of the thing I've noticed about the fan fiction boards in a big site like the force.net is that a lot of authors tend to be ignored, maybe as a result of being buried or that people don't notice you, a thing I tend to call computer blindness. It's like if you have a load of websites that a search engine has found. You could have the greatest fan fiction story ever written, but if it's on the last page no-one is ever gonna read it because they just don't have the patience to look that far. That's the problem you get on a large site, even if it does have plenty of visitors, so a story wouldn't get read anyway. At least on a smaller site, you don't get that. I wanted it to have stories about minor Star Wars characters or ocs because sometimes you just want to read something different to ones about Luke Skywalker or Obi-Wan Kenobi. I also wanted to get people to be a little more creative in what stories they wrote and experiment with aliens for exmaple, if they normally write about human characters.

I have noticed that there are also a lot of dead Star Wars sites or forums, where the owner hasn't bothered to keep it updated, in some cases for nearly a year and this can be really annoying. If they have abandoned their site and don't wish to continue with it, then they should make sure that they delete everything. I understand that people have their own lives and can't always keep their site upto date, but they should at least make the effort to look at it at least once a week. If someone who has to use the library to use the internet can keep a site updated, then someone who has it at home should be able to with no problem, unless they've forgotten to pay the phone bill, or something silly like that.

One of the problems I've found with search engines is that new sites tend to be at the very bottom of the pile, and it's just like the story scenario earlier. It's no good just calling your site Star Wars Fan Fiction these days, as it will never get to the top of the list! Because SWCC was once hosted at a different location than it is now, when I changed the host over to bravenet, whenever I searched for it in a search engine, I noticed that the old page that Liz did was at the top, or even worse, I got one of the webrings where it was listed because it had more hits than mine. Recently, however, I've found that the proper site is now near the top of the list in most search engines, either first, second or third, which isn't as bad. The problems is though, you have to link to other sites for your site to get visitors, so you can see just how you can go round and round in circles with search engines. It takes a long time to fix that. That's one of the reasons why it's important to get a decent host to begin with, so you don't keep having to change the site around. (one of the things I noticed with geocities is that whenever I looked for it in a search engine when it was hosted there, SWCC was always listed as index, instead of Star Wars Character Cafe, so there must be thousands of sites hosted with geocities with the title index, instead of its proper name.)

2. DarthGaul Jedi Master

star 3
    Plus its all in the advertising...or word of mouth.
  3. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    That's a pretty good explanation.

However, I'm definitely against deleting things that haven't been updated in a year. There are so many sites out there that may not need frequent updates, and can serve perfectly fine as a sort of archive.

One nice way to get around the "switching hosts" issue is to actually spend the money on a domain name. I've had mine for over 5 years, and when I switched hosts earlier this year it was an easy and flawless move - as far as everyone else could tell, the website had never moved.
  4. emimar Jedi Knight

star 3
    I would get a domain name if I had the means to pay for one, but at the moment I have no spare cash to spend on things like that, as I'm at university. Plus there's the fact that I need to get a credit card and the bank wouldn't let me have one due to lack of credit and no credit history, anyway. I don't trust things like credit cards that much, either.

Some free hosting sites are better than others - I don't like geocities for several reasons, which is why I changed over. There was that annoying ad square, but then they changed it so it became more annoying and now obscures half the screen, you couldn't edit pages online unless you used their editing software to create it and I hated haveing geocities at the beginning of the url - at least with bravenet, it's at the end, so it doesn't look as amaturish. The only thing I don't really like are the ads.

I've noticed with some free hosts that don't have ads have very few features and no help with editing - I use netscape composer as my webeditor and even though you can upload pages on to hosts you can't always edit them and I found when I did my web design course that the links can act up when you use netscape composer so even if you had one tiny mistake on your site, you'd have to do the whole thing again.
  5. emimar Jedi Knight

star 3
    I've just about finished with the clear-up of the site now and I've added a faq, because it seemed that there might have been some confusion over which characters I wanted in stories and which I didn't. I might even relax the rules a bit on the major characters, saying that they can appear in a story as long the story has an oc in there as well.
  6. emimar Jedi Knight

star 3
    There probably won't be anymore updates now until the new year. I've added some new features and I put the e-cards back again.

The newest fan fiction articles are:

What Makes a Good Fan Fiction Story?

Fan Fiction - The Pros and Cons

There hasn't been any new stories for a while because I've been ill and I've had some assignments for university to get through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.