main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Star Wars Fan Film Awards

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by jedi_master_sal, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    But would the film get disqualified if we use sounds that are copyrighted by Lucas and not one of the official movie sounds?

2. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    This thread is not allowed to fall off the first page!

BTW, I will be there!

3. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    What Shewski said.

4. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Glad you guys have kept this near the top.

I was going to do that this morning.

Anyway, here's one idea somewhat inspired by the JediRocks poster....Why not do a Music Video? Maybe something old or funky. My suggestion would be the 70's movie song "Car Wash" It's short and we could conceivably shoot this in 1 or 2 days. We'd be dressed as SW characters working at a Car Wash and then break out into the song with choreographed dancing. Weird, yes, but that's the point.

5. Mrs_jedi_1966

Mrs_jedi_1966 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    I think I like the SW Survivor idea = you could have a lot of fun with that idea :)

6. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Ben_Ethus sent me and Fluke a mock script for SW Survivor that we are going to bring for him to the meeting. I like its potential.

7. Saberpilot

Saberpilot Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    "Obi-wan, give me that rat to eat- you're my only hope!"
    *giggles*

8. Oreckel

Oreckel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Alright - looks like no one's posted in here, yet - so I'll go over basically what happened, for those who missed it.

We basically decided against Survivor - mainly becuase that's a relativly large project, and it would be best filmed in the Summer. This thing is due in two months - which will make survivor rather difficult, just becuase of time restrictions. We're aiming to possibly do survivor for next year's awards, if still we're up for it.

Right now we're going for a red-carpet interview type setting, and we might end up inter-weaving it with a fitness club parody. Maybe someone else can go into a little more detail about that, I have a quick favor to ask, though.

Does anyone have a decent camera that we can borrow? By reading this thread the first time I was under the impression that that wasn't a problem, looking a second time, do we only have the Hi8 camera that Kale offered?

It's really hard to edit video that isn't digital. We can convert it, but we'll loose a lot of quality in the process. Now I have my own that I can donate (JVC-DVM70), but, again - it's not the best camera in the world. Now it is digital, but it's only got 1CCD. That means the picture color will have more of a home-video type feel, not an actual show. I may be able to fix this via color-correction in AE, or we could just leave it alone if you guys don't really care, but it would be a lot easier to just have the quality there to begin with.

If anyone can loan us a decent camera for a day or two, or if you know a friend who knows a friend who might be able to help us, that's great - I'd love to hear about it. Another option to look into is equimpent rental, but that can add up really fast (about $100-$150 a day), so I'd like to steer clear of that if we can.

Any other comments or ideas?

9. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Just for the record, I believe that a Survivor parody would not be a large project. However, since it somehow managed to only come in fifth in the voting (which still befuddles me), a further discussion was not warrented to talk about it's degree of complexity, it was just kind of assumed that it would be hard.

I fully intend to make a Survivor parody at some point before someone else has the same idea and goes through with it. Keep in mind that it will not be before June 1st as to not interfer with the red carpet film.

10. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    I think the Surviver film would be a great summer project and hope that you'll count me in for one of the cast . . .

As for the "Red Carpet" film . . . I am going to suggest a slight costume change. How about putting Luke and Leia in the outfits that they wore for the awards at the end of ANH? My one sister has agreed to make Leia's costume. I'm still working on getting the other sister to wear it ;)

Oh, and I spent a half hour today watching Joan Rivers "Fashion Police." Gack. Her voice is hard to do.

11. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    I'll secind the costume idea for Luke/Leia. That makes a lot of sense.

12. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Hey everyone -- what's going on with this project?? Anyone get a camera? How about a location for the shoot? How's the script coming? Do we have a definite cast list?

13. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    I won't be able to make the meeting this weekend, I have the folks coming on from Ohio and we will be having a big Sunday brunch.

When are we planning on Shooting?

Anyways, on the other thread I've chronicled my attempts to find a suitable Ceremony Luke jacket. I'll go check out another Thrift store sometime this week. If worse comes to worse and I can't find anything, what if we went back to Farmboy Luke? I'm sure I can get a white karate gi pretty easily.... maybe even make a crack about how I didn't read about dressing up.

14. Oreckel

Jul 18, 2002
    Chris-

We've actually been posting in another thread, found here. I'm suprised it fell off the first page of the forums.

Right now we don't seem to have a decent camera, unless someone has one they can donate, we'll just have to go with mine...

15. Mrs_jedi_1966

Jun 14, 2002
    I have a mini camcorder ~ I don't know how good you would rate it. It's not super professional but I think it's pretty good quality. I can bring it to the meeting this weekend and y'all can check it out to see if it's whatcha need. I know your suppose to be able to hook it up through the computer somehow = but I'm not that tech savy to have figured it out <yet>

16. Oreckel

Jul 18, 2002
    I can find out - do you know the make/model of your camcorder? It should be written on the side of the camera, or (if you have one) the LCD screen.

17. Mrs_jedi_1966

Jun 14, 2002
    I'll try to remember to check it out & letchya know no later than tomorrow AM

18. Mrs_jedi_1966

Jun 14, 2002
    ok - here's all the "stuff" that was on the camera:

SAMSUNG
    500X DIGITAL ZOOM
    DIGITAL CAMCORDER SCD67 NTSC MINI DV
    HIGH RESOLUTION TFT COLOR LCD

< the screen is able to be fipped around also >

Let me know if this will help or not

19. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Here is what a friend told me about cameras:

"The more expensive, the better the picture quality, obviously. But you can get a usable picture from even a little palmcorder, depending on what you intend to do with it. Is it for the web, or for video, or for theatrical projection?

If it's just for the web, you can get away with a little palmcorder, the $300 variety... My coworker bought one for home use but its name escapes me...

If it's for video, you want at least something like a Sony DCR-VX700. It's larger than a palmcorder, takes the same miniDV tape (they all do), and has better picture quality and more effect options (like brightness adjustment and such).

For the best quality, we use our Sony DSR-250. It's big, it's heavier, and it has a whole lot of bells and whistles, but the bottom line is that there's a noticeable improvement in image quality between it and the VX700. The Canon XL-1 is along the same line -- similar cost, similar picture quality.

It all depends on if this is for practice or for business/demo tape type stuff. If you're doing it to round up actors and investors, you can shoot a "test version" on a lower-end camera and edit it in the computer. If you're doing it to stream online or try to enter into a festival, you need to start moving up the expense ladder to get the best picture quality and flexibility for the price.

I believe dv.com has a pretty good review section for different types of cameras, mostly newer reviews. I'd check a rental store and see if you can acquire a VX700 or something similar for a weekend, test it out and see if its quality is compatible with the look you're going for."

20. Oreckel

Jul 18, 2002
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2918056364&category=11724

Wow, nice camera. :)

Would you be willing to loan us your camera for the shoot? It's the exact same quality as mine, and they both take the same kind of tape, which will make editing a breeze.

Let me know if we can, a second camera would be great - that way we don't have to shoot the same scene multiple times. :)

21. Mrs_jedi_1966

Jun 14, 2002
    yeah ~ that pic is identical to my camera. y'all can use it under the pretense you break it ~ you replace it.

We plan on being there (where ever there is) definately at least the first weekend of shooting. Is it okay if I just bring it then or do you need it earlier than that?

BTW ~ has the location been found yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.