main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Fan Music

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by RONDC20, Jul 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamoWeed

JamoWeed Jedi Master

Oct 10, 2001
    Hey all! Newbie poster here.

Great idea! I was surprised that there wasn't more fan music actually (especially with soem of the high quality fan films out there).

One guy you might want to check out and maybe contact to help is Neil Lawrence Gregory. He wrote a whole heap of his own version of ATOTC quite awhile ago.

Anyone else know of any other fan music on the net? The only other stuff I could find were some remixes from some of the games.

2. RONDC20

RONDC20 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 10, 2001
    Same here I cant download the A,T Theme either, Could you sent it to me, Im at

RONDC20@hotmail.com

3. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    It's a shame there aren't a lot of fan made pieces. Hopefully there'll be a core group of us before Episode III. :)

I think part of the problem is that most people don't have or know of the kind of equipment to record music, even if it's a MIDI.

4. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    So, as a current recollection of what we have here..

Currently Scored Music
    Kyp Durron's Theme (JA) - RidingMyCaroselOnYou - Listen Here
    Anakin & Tahiri's Theme (NJO) - Jedi_Alman - Listen Here
    Solo Babies Theme (Possible Intro) - RidingMyCaroselOnYou - Listen Here
    Doom Raiders - Halibut - Listen Here (Not Star Wars)

So.. would anyone be interested in doing a joint score together...?

5. Jedi_Alman

Jedi_Alman Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Wow, thanks for putting that up for me. I hope that we can get a group of amateur composers to meet here.

6. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    No problem :)
    And I'll be PMming everyone who posted on this thread about music... hopefully we could get a few themes going, maybe even get an official site?

7. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Okay, I think for one we should set up a fan music themes database that is for sharing. For example, if I want to use the "Anakin & Tahiri" theme in my NJO compositions to post online or even include them in a CD compilation of my score from, say, Star by Star, I should be able to do that, provided that I credit the author. Likewise, once I finally get "A More Dangerous Place" posted, anyone doing NJO or Vector Prime work should be able to borrow from it freely. I also think authors should be able to set stipulations about what their themes are used for. For example, if I don't wish AMDP to be used for anything pre-NJO, I ought to be able to specify that. But setting up such a themes database would allow us to amass a lot of source material that we can work from when creating our material, and themes common to different composers and different scores would help to unify our EU compositions.

Also, in the themes database, we should include MIDI files of our themes with no frills, no instrumentation, no harmony, no GM data - the melody of the theme only, in its simplest form. This would allow other authors to build on and complexify the themes as they choose. Again, proper credit should be given for use of such a theme.

Does anyone on here have some web space we could dedicate to this project? And is there anyone with good coding skills? I think a fan music resource and distribution point would be invaluable.

-Paul

8. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    Well, at the moment I know nothing about web-building, though I will be taking a class on it. I think that this is a good idea though, and whoever wants to use my little theme, just ask, and I'll be happy to support you.

Do we have any other composers out there?

9. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    I just thought of something: should this thread be moved to the FanArt Forum?

10. darth_paul

Apr 24, 2000
    I think this is probably where it belongs. The Fan Art forum is most commonly frequented by painters, drawers, etc. If we want musicians, this is our best place.

And I listened to your A&T theme and loved it... Something about it really amazed me. I wish I could write like that, such rich and intricate stuff. My strength is in melodies, but that was just generally perfect.

-Paul

11. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    Thank you very much, it was a blast to write!

I just thought that it might go somewhere like the FanArt Forum because it is art, and it is by fans, but I suppose that you are right. It just seems that this thread is not very active.

Oh, and do you use Cakewalk to write music? I couldn't get a good-sounding piece until I found a good background patch. I found the Tremolo Strings (which you hear constantly in my piece) and it really makes the piece sound better.

12. darth_paul

Apr 24, 2000
    No, I use NoteWorthy Composer to write things out notation-style. Tell me about Cakewalk.

-Paul

13. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    Cakewalk is a program that devides your music into several different tracks. Each track can have its own instrument and volume, and you write on a stall in whatever notation that you want. The only bad thing is the rest and tie system on it. It is very hard to work with.

14. RONDC20

RONDC20 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 10, 2001

Hello

Well Im glad to see this topic take off.All your ideas are great, but why has no one taken My music ideas into consideration.

I think that there should be themes composed for the Timothy Zahn. Thrawn Trilogy of Novels with themes for Grand Admiral Thrawn, Mara Jade and Joruus C'Baoth and also a theme depicting the Nohgri

The theme for Mara Jade should be melon collie and sad, It should sound simular to the Force theme or Qui-Gon Jinn's theme.

Thrawn's theme should be the typical evil theme with a military sound very much like the Imperial March.

The theme for C'Boath should sound dark and brooding and evil, very much like the Emperor's/Darth Sidius's theme.

The Nohgri theme should be dark aswell.

There should also be music for some of the action sequences in the Novels mixing Classic John Williams Star Wars themes with the new themes composed.

I feel strongly about including already established classic Star Wars Themes in all of this music.

The Star Wars Main Theme
    The Force Theme
    The Imperial March
    Princess Leia's theme
    Love theme for Han Solo and Leia
    The Rebel Fanfare

These themes would of course be mixed with all of the new themes you guys are composing.

This is in reguards to what some of you are doing with the New Jedi Order series as well as my Thrawn Trilogy idea.

I would love to hear a villanous theme for the Yuuzhan Vong

Ronald C

15. darth_paul

Apr 24, 2000
    My Yuuzhan Vong theme in progress is slightly different from normal SW music in that, in its concert suite form, it is all percussion. Not a single horn. It's based heavily on African rhythms and music, and is caucophanous and a little bit frightening while at the same time grand and dramatic. But it's nowhere near done. There's a lot of work left to go on that one.

Since there's about twenty years of incidental music between the end of the films and the beginning of the NJO that doesn't exist in any form, I'm finding myself having to compose a lot of themes, such as a theme for Mara Jade and the love theme for Luke and Mara. While I'd love to compose other Thrawn-era music, the NJO is my emphasis, and so I'll be creating only those musical elements I need to accurately present the NJO.

I do tend to draw heavily upon Williams's original themes, and even to evolve some of them - like "Han Solo and the Princess," as their relationship is obviously very different now than it was twenty years ago.

My biggest thematic challenge so far has been a theme for the New Republic. I had intended to use the Rebel Fanfare combined with an inversion of the Imperial March, but all my efforts so far have sounded horrible.

With school and other pressures, my time for working on my music is limited. But I'm moving as fast as I can, and I'll post stuff as I get it finished. I'm glad to see other people interested, and hope we can get a score for the EU to take off.

-Paul

16. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    I know very well how much time composing a piece can take, so if we want to try to score a book, much like Joel McNeely did, I propose this:

We first need to get a list of all composers willing to work on this.
    We then need to decide which book to score.
    From that, we decide which themes need to be built.
    After we are satisfied with themes, we can highlight which scenes to score, as it would be impossible to score an entire book.
    After than, we would devide up the scenes between the composers, and use each other's work to come up with a product.
    After that...we can decide what do to after that.

This is only if we were to want to score a book, such as one of the Thrawn books. However, I think that we would need more than just myself and Paul, as he said, school and other pressures.

17. ZethTrooper

ZethTrooper Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2000
    Whoa, my first post in several months.

Anyway, I can offer web space, and I'll even design a site if you are interested.

EDIT: Also, someone said earlier that they would like to have all of the main themes from the OT, TPM, and AOTC stripped to the bare essential theme itself. I'll do that if someone hasn't already

18. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    I don't know if a web page would be necessary if we cannot get any music composers. Thanks for any help though.

19. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I like what's happening here. I don't have Noteworthy Composer, but a friend of mine downloaded it, and he should be able to give it to me. I have a reasonable understanding of music theory but not much talent. I'll give it a go anyway. I'd like to make a Yuuzhan Vong theme, because I see it sounding like a cross between the Trade Federation March and that ugly phrase in AOTC Track 3 that accompanies the Kouhuns slithering on Padme's bed.

20. ZethTrooper

Oct 1, 2000
    If there's a lack of composers, I'll give it a go.

And yes, I do know what I'm doing.

EDIT: I just downloaded a bunch of SW MIDIs from a site(don't have the URL) and there was a Thrawn theme.

DL it here(off my space)

21. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    I get no sound with the MIDI.

And if you two want to try to compose some stuff, how about coming up with a theme to post, just to 'warm-up,' or something. If you two join in, that gives us four composers. (I'm assuming that Paul would join us.) Also, if Carosel would join, that would give us five. I'd say that if we could get five composers in on a project, we should give it a go. Then we could look into making a web page, and talk about what project we would want to do.

22. ZethTrooper

Oct 1, 2000
    It doesn't come in for a few seconds.

I'll work on something to post tommorow probably.

23. Aiwendil

Aiwendil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    I've composed a few little bits of themes for some of the EU characters, and also a few themes for a role-playing campaign I GMed. I use a program called Rhapsody which also allows one to write out the full notation. I don't have any server space to put them up, but if anyone is interested I could try e-mailing them as attachments.

24. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    I, for one, would like to hear it. And please say if you would be interested in a book scoring project.

I am currently working on a theme for Jacen. However, the way that I see it, there are three Jacens. One in the YJK, one in the NJO pre-Traitor, and then the one in Traitor. I am working on a theme for the Jacen from the NJO pre-Traitor.

25. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    No soliciting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.