main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Fandom: Cult or Religion?

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by DarthScholar, Mar 16, 2013.

1. DarthScholar

DarthScholar Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2013
    Hello everyone,

Posting this thread for an academic research paper in which I will be analysing the effects of Star Wars and it's fan created universe. After research it is suggested that there is a fine line between Star Wars fandom being perceived as a cult and a way of life and in some cases a religion (JediChurch).

When I use the word cult, it is not intended to be derogatory in anyway but for the purpose of the paper which comes under the genre of Cult Cinema.

I have a number of questions if people have the time to answers them, which would be very much appreciated.

1. Do you consider yourself to be a fan or a follower? And how would you define the difference?

2. What morals has the Star Wars Universe taught you? What effect has it had on your life?

3. Do you find more satisfaction in Star Wars fandom literature/movies/comics or the LucasFilm material? Why?

4. Do you believe in the force? What is your opinion of fans/followers who have the opposite opinion?

5. How expansive has your friendship circle become as a result of Star Wars?

I may have other questions later and if you could offer any journals, essays or other sources that would beyond helpful and will be eternally grateful.

Answers can either be posted below or private messaged. Ideally I'd prefer for this not to inflict argument or discussion. I am definitely not here to stir.

Thanks.

2. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Is this a joke? If not, AWESOME!
    Fan, formerly follower, until I started seriously disliking the new stuff that was being produced (mostly post-RotJ).
    Friendships have been strengthed/initiated based on SW fandom but not dependent on it, which means that they are true friendships.
    I find more satisfaction in literature/comics because it is more in-depth with more of it in general. Movies are less than 1% of everything ever produced in the SW universe.

3. DarthScholar

DarthScholar Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2013
    In no way a joke! Totally genuine, I'm a BA Film scholar at Falmouth University, United Kingdom. Thanks for your reply.

4. Michael McKean

Michael McKean Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2013
    1. I consider myself to be a fan rather than a follower and I think there is a big distinction between the two. A follower is, in my opinion, a huge fan or someone who takes morals/codes from the films and implements them into their life e.g. obeying the Jedi Code.

2. Star Wars hasn't really taught me anything new that is important but has rather reinforced morals that I am already aware of such as the control of power and the virtues of patience.

3. I do not prefer one over the other. I love to do research into characters etc through the Expanded Universe and I have enjoyed reading the novels; but I wouldn't be able to do that without the films. The films create an aura about certain places & characters that leads you to want to find out more.

4. I do not believe in the force, although it can be compared with particular beliefs such as Buddhist pantheism - the idea that the universe is God. As for fans people who do believe in the Force, I hold no grudge against them although I do think they have been seriously misled by a mere piece of fiction. Nevertheless, I sympathise with them for their enthusiastic zeal for the philosophy of Star Wars.

5. As a child, Star Wars helped forge a friendship that I still enjoy today. We'd often play Star Wars video games together and watch the films. And recently, I met a new group of people and I feel I have gotten to know one of them better through our mutual love for Star Wars. Apart from that though, there isn't much to be said because all of my friends, besides the one I just mentioned, have no interest in Star Wars and/or haven't seen the films.

I hope this helps.