main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

STAR WARS FANWORKS: The Home of Star Wars Fan Audio

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Audio' started by Nathan_P_Butler, Aug 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doggans

doggans Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 31, 2002
    I just remembered, as far as audio parodies go, that Mark Jonathon Davis (singer of the parody song "Star Wars Cantina") released several parody skits on his website, mostly parodies with celebrities in the SW universe.

2. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    Scribe, you can also double click the zip file (if you have Windows XP) and that will bring up the contents of the zipped file and then you can click that for the mp3.

Keith

3. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    I just remembered, as far as audio parodies go, that Mark Jonathon Davis (singer of the parody song "Star Wars Cantina") released several parody skits on his website, mostly parodies with celebrities in the SW universe.

WHAT!? I thought Weird Al did "Star Wars Cantina!" The one that's sung to Barry Manilow's "Copacabano"(sp?) song?

4. doggans

doggans Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 31, 2002
  5. Nathan_P_Butler

Nathan_P_Butler Author, Star Wars Tales #21 star 4 VIP

May 23, 2003
    Yeah, most of the parodies out there get labeled to Yankovic, even if he had nothing to do with him, simply due to his visibility.

And, as for Fanworks, we aren't dealing with parody songs at this point. That opens up the question of remixes and such. Unless it's a full-scale production, like SW: The Musical, I don't generally consider fan remixes and parodies to be fan audio, a genre that, like fan films, tends to consist of productions, rather than compositions.

That could change, though. :shrug:

6. cinemafreak

cinemafreak Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2002
    Yeah, if we did that, next thing you know TFN will start playing Batman fanfilm... Wait, that happened. Or they would have Matrix fan.... Crap, that happened too. Well, you never know.

It does bring up the question of remixes, and most parody songs suck. I love the ones by Mark Jonathon Davis. But not all of them are that quality. And there are some FAP's that aren't all that great, but they require more work. And the ratio of good to crap better. But if someone wants to take the initiative and create one, I think that would be great.

7. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
  8. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Ah, more Fanworks goodness. Along with CR #11 on Oct. 1, ROTO #2 around Oct. 1 or so, and the DC panel video on Oct. 6, it looks like Anthology #4 (Addiction) will be released on Oct. 1 as well. Big first week of the month for Fanworks.

9. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    The WaveLab tutorial and FAQ will also go up on Oct. 1. It's just a decent sized overall site update. Sweet, no?

10. Keiran_Horn

Keiran_Horn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 2002
    Very sweet.

11. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Yes, yes, I am.

Dang, we should've started the "Get Nathan a New Woman" campaign in CR #11! BLAST!

12. Keiran_Horn

Keiran_Horn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 2002
    Now, there's an idea for a 2004 episode. :p

13. cinemafreak

cinemafreak Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2002
    Save the Nathans

Unfortunately, due to the lack of females, these species are slowly becoming extinct, and do not keep well in the wild. We soon hope to capture a few, put them in a large glass cage, and stick a female in with them. We hope this will rejuvenate their spirits.

14. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Good, good. More amusement for me.

15. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    Crikey! Lookit that wild Nathan. He's a wily one he is. Watch as I stupidly try to capture it with me bare hands! :D

I dare not carry it much farther. :p

16. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Heh, get your hand offa my crotch.

::ahem::

Updates are all ready to go. I'll be updating either tomorrow after I get off work or tonight after midnight. I want to get all the new downloads onto the October stats and bandwidth allottment, so that we aren't totally whuppin' up on our account as people travel by the millions to download stuff.

Okay, maybe not millions...

17. DarkLordofSmith

DarkLordofSmith Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 27, 2001
    You never know it might reach trillion when they learn about the video wear going to release on Monday.

:D

18. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    I don't know if we've mentioned this, but since there's a slight change coming, I wanted to do so:

StarWarsFanworks.com has its own message board. It's located at GalacticSenate.com in the Coruscant Theater section.

I wanted to mention that and suggest that everyone here also get a username over there for discussion because this board tends to be just a small group, many of whom have projects linked or associated with Fanworks anyway, most of whom have dedicated Fanworks threads for their projects, and I, personally, am going to be paying more attention there than here in the future. I'll be doing most of the thread updates there, rather than here, and as far as these boards go, I'll be here and in threads directly related to me on the fan film board, but otherwise, I'm going to be stepping back very much from the TFN boards. This is the second time someone on the TFN:FF staff has blatantly mischaracterized my intentions in a situation, and, frankly, I've had enough of it. If TFN isn't going to be supporting the fan audio genre in any real sense, and certain staffers are going to such lengths of mischaracterization, then there's no much sense in me bothering with keeping discussion over here.

So, I know most already have threads or names over at GS, but if not, I'd suggest doing so, as that's where much of the fan audio news and updates are going to be going through outside the main Fanworks news page.

19. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Brand spankin' new editorial up at Fanworks from Tatooine TV's Jeff Roney!

20. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Update: The fifth episode of Anthology, the final one to be written and mixed by yours truly, is now in its final stages of mixing. The episode, called Responsibility, is a sort of prequel to Second Strike that deals with a much younger Captain Kal S'Darcis, a supporting character from Second Strike: Descent.

Right now, all of the lines, sound effects, and ambient sound have been mixed together, and I'm going to be doing some final volume and left/right balance checks on the files tonight or tomorrow. Once that's done, all that remains is the music.

I was intending on putting this out on Dec. 1 for the anniversary month of Second Strike, but if all goes well, I'll go ahead and do it at its regularly scheduled release time of Nov. 1.

21. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    I apparently mischaracterized your intentions too. You were getty pretty cheeky over there.

22. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Heh heh heh.

Oh, and, uhm, Responsibility is DONE!

November 1st baby!

23. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Still looking for editorialists, reviewers, etc.

24. SteveMollmann

SteveMollmann Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2003
    Been meaning to get to you on this, Nathan. I'd be perfectly willing to do some reviewing for the site; ever since I started to listen to stuff there, I've had reviews bouncing around in my head, waiting to be written. Give me a few days, and I'll at least knock up reviews of "Second Strike" and "Resurrection."

25. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Sounds cool to me. Michael Sheridan has offered too. Hopefully we can get a small cadre of frequent reviewers and such.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.