main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Star Wars FIDM exhibit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by PadawansGuide, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks Princess_Lesa. I'm sure getting to dress up your daughter is a lot of fun. :)

I do hope this exhibit does eventually tour, giving everyone a better chance to see it.

2. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Just thought I'd post some info on the SOUVENIRS available.

Specifically for the exhibit are 3 different t-shirts featuring the wallpapers from the SW FIDM website. There's a lt. grey one with Amidala kimono dress (with no handmaidens), a black Vader, and a lt. brown one with Chewbacca. They had both adult and youth sizes. Mine was $30. They also have large postcards for $.50 each, featuring Amidala, Padme, Anakin, Chewbacca, and Vader. There were smaller 4 x 6 postcards for free at the register featuring C-3PO and R2. A puzzle cube with the exhibit logo and pics from different characters from all the films goes for $9.50. There's an exhibit poster featuring Amidala in the kimono dress on a grey background for $8. Lastly, there's the books themselves. Other than that, there's stuff like kids and pet costumes, toys, and other stuff you can get elsewhere. I also saw some shirts I hadn't seen before like a women's ringer grey t-shirt with Leia that says, "Rebel Princess", and a smaller pink one for kids (can't remember the price).

Also, if you go to the other FIDM store on the other side of the X-wing, there are FIDM ladies shirts that say "FIDM" in the Star Wars font, and some that say "FIDM: Fashion Institute of Design Merchandising" with the locations of the 3 campuses. The letters look something like the opening crawl.

3. rentjedi

rentjedi Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2005
    The Security guards with all due respect do have a job to do, they are there to make the exhibit safe and protect priceless works of art (the costumes). As far as letting people onto the 2nd floor, the school is a private school and is under high security even for its students. No one at anytime (during an exhibit or otherwise) is allowed into the school without a student or faculty ID. In fact students coming to class without an ID can be turned away regardless of their supplies, FIDM bag, etc. in hand. Also, I want to emphasize that this post is in no way affiliated with FIDM or its staff. I am just a knowledgable student who felt the need to clarify the second floor issue.

4. Carrie_therage

Carrie_therage Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2005
    those "priceless works of art" are just clothing!!! I can totally make my own anyways, we should be able to touch them, hell even try them on. That would be p0|\|350r

The point it that during the exhibit it should be special because it's a special event.
    S_S edit: removed flame-ish comments.

PS...I love you

5. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    As I said before it's not just the Star Wars costume that are there. The Vintage closet if full of stuff from the 1800's. Unless you have a time machine you can't make clothing from the past. See page 2 of the FIDM gala album here for a peak in the Vintae closet http://www.shawnandcolleen.com/shawn/Pages/hwing/photos.html

p.s. Carrie_therage: I hope the moderators give you a talking to.

6. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    I have photos of the gift shop here http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=QueenAmidala&AID=2819164
    and there are also scans of the post cards, etc.

7. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Maulested, in her long post from her notes, indicated the guards were eating and drinking in the rooms with the costumes. That's hardly appropriate behavior, if that is the case.

8. mrcottonsparrot

mrcottonsparrot Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 26, 2004

9. Biba-Fett

Biba-Fett Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2005
    And

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d709b3127cce94054e2e692c00000015108AZtm7Nm5Ytj

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d709b3127cce94054f08299200000015108AZtm7Nm5Ytj

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d709b3127cce94054f29a88300000015108AZtm7Nm5Ytj

10. Man_from_Naboo

Man_from_Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2004

11. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    Wow. I missed this comment. . .I wonder if you know the value assessed to these garments. They may not indeed, be priceless. . .but I'd assume that the value (in only materials and manhours) associated with the simplest of them (my guess: Padme's Geonosis Arena costume) is well over $1,000. Yes, you could make your own, of course you can, but when these were made they were one of a kind items which people have illegally copied. Intellectual property rights do apply, even when you're only creating something for your own use, and if LFL decided to, they could pull the plug on all of us. Plus, they were made by master craftsmen (and women). That ups their values considerably. The idea that custom-built costumes are "only clothing" is a stereotype which I (and other costumers) have been trying to shake for a long time. Yes, in many ways they are "only clothing," and in a burning building, I'd choose saving people's lives before the costumes, but to say that they are not art on par with other disciplines and that the general public should be able to handle them is disrespecting the hard work of these people who have studied their entire lives to reach a level of mastery to which less than 1% of the population even aspire. It would be like saying that people should be able to take home paintings in a museum to hang on their walls overnight because they are "only canvas, wood, and paint." Obviously they, like these costumes, are more than just the sum of their parts.

12. Man_from_Naboo

Man_from_Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2004
    I think there is an "0" missing in that figure ;)
    Just take the time that Trisha and the others worked on the concepts, then guess what their earnings are per week, then think about how long a seamstress would work on one of those dresses, add cost of material, and then you know what they are worth. Not to think about their open market value, if one of those costumes was to be auctioned off. Obi-Wan ANH cloak that was lately found now has been valued at around 35.000 US-$, and its a rag against the displayed costumes. And while a movie is in production, a costume really can become invaluable, if it is one of a kind...

I personally just regarded the former comment about "having rights to wear it" etc. as coming from someone who enjoys looking at stuff, but doesn´t have a grasp of a)intellectual property, b)the value of workmanship and c)respect towards the combination of a) and b).

So, nothing to see here, we can happily move along ;)

Michael

13. Darth_Manos

Darth_Manos Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2005
    Just to put some perspective, no flaming here, but the insurance value on these pieces of just clothing are insane. Now imagine you're guarding them.

A Warhol is just a painting. I know, I work with them all day long. But I sure don't want to drop one!

14. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    I wasn't even considering its one of a kind value there. I meant merely the man-hours and materials. And I forgot about the boots, cuffs, and holsters, I was merely thinking about the fabric bits (which is what I do, therefore what I think of) I can only imagine its insurable value. When I used to do costume rentals, I was trained to place insurance values on any and all built items at at least $1500, depending on their condition and complexity.

15. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    Considering that some of these "parts" are either antique, or custom made fabrics, these parts are quite expensive. Think more than most people earn in several years.

16. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Fortunately, I think most of us here understand and appreciate the artistic and monetary value of these costumes. Obviously, anyone who has tried to accurately replicate one would. And anyone with a basic appreciation for the talent of artisans, in general, would be able to recognize these as more than 'just clothing'.

But, in short, I think it's safe to say that the majority of people who frequent this forum 'get it' concerning the value of these pieces. :)

17. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I was looking through my un edited shots of the fashion show and stumbled across some I forgot to load :oops: 8-}
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/dressingagalaxynyc/JW7A7628.JPG]
    Ep 1 Kimono its at the top :)

18. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Oh wow, that one is amazing, Benae Quee!!

19. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    A slightly blurred shot, but you can see the points where the
    jacket attatches to the gold undergarment.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce20b3127cce940f7cd0ce7900000016108AZtm7Nm5Ytj

20. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Hey Manos...anything on Anakin yet? :)

Thanks!

21. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    I posted these in a different thread.

I don't know if they help at all. I'm going through about 300 shots I've taken of
    various costumes. Trying to find the less blurry ones.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce20b3127cce940f7ce94f7000000015108AZtm7Nm5Ytj

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce20b3127cce940f7cc6ce6f00000015108AZtm7Nm5Ytj

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce20b3127cce940f7c934f0a00000015108AZtm7Nm5Ytj

22. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    I have just been informed that Ray Park and Daniel Logan will be attending Fan Day at FIDM.
    I don't know if this is old news, but there ya go.

23. swguru2004

swguru2004 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    I was unaware that they were gonna be there.:cool: Are you gonna be Manos? I am gonna be there from 10-2:30ish in my Mandalorian.

24. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    well after crappy customer service I cancelled the amazon.com order.
    I ordered from the FIDM site, but I haven't received a confirmation email... when I was ordering it didn't ask for a password or anything saying it would set up an account... I set up an account after the fact but my order isn't listed and there isn't anything for contact info - which makes me slightly nervous. As some of you have received your books safely this way, it settles my nerves some. =|

I was definitely charged right away though! I can't wait =)

25. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    I adore Daniel and Ray! They are always so easy going and friendly when I chat with them at events like EP III NYC premier, Dragon*Con, etc. I wish I could attend, but can't afford another trip to LA right now.
    Here is a photo of Ray with us "Sith Cheerleaders" at Dragon*Con. Daniel grabbed a couple of pom-poms and joined in too. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nyenforce34/detail?.dir=b8f6&.dnm=3563.jpg&.src=ph

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.