main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Star Wars FIDM exhibit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by PadawansGuide, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    You can try calling this number: FIDM Phone: 213-624-1200 ext. 3266 or 3265
    Or e-mailing them here: customerservice@thefidmmuseumstore.org

When I called on Monday I spoke with a guy named Brandon Palma. He is their 'Online Museum Shop Customer Service Rep'. He was extremely friendly, helpful and even took the time to tell me all about the book and the parts in it that he really likes. I'm sure if you called and asked to speak with him that he'd be able to confirm your order for you too. His phone extension seems to be 3265. Hope that helps! :)

2. swguru2004

swguru2004 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Hey, just out of curiosity, Is there gonn abe some informal Meet and Greet for Costume/Prop board members on Fan Day this Sunday. If so, will someone let me know, or tell me about it at the event itself. I will be in this and my name is Tony: [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/swguru2004/Me1.jpg]

3. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    across0the0stars

I had a similar problem. While I got an email when I ordered, it said I would get a second confiming shipment, which I never got. I posted in the book thread that FIDM's on line and email is messed up, per my call to them about 3 weeks ago. The confirmed by telephone that my book had been shiped.

4. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    Any photos from Fan Day on Sunday? I'll see photos tonight (Tues) from my friends who went down but hoping for more.

5. Darth_Manos

Darth_Manos Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2005
    I posted a few in the Ask Biba Fett thread.

I have more, but there are only so many hours
    in the day.

6. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    Thanks very much. I'm sure I'll get my fill at LadySonnet's house tonight!

7. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    I'm still working on how to get the most out of
    the limited image size at shutterfly.com.

But I've created an open to the public album and
    started to add images from fan day.

http://scumandvillainy.shutterfly.com
    Try that link and tell me if it works.
    Enjoy the Clone Trooper!!!

8. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    I'm starting to get antsy! My flight leaves Friday morning and I have tickets for 5:30 PM to the exhibit.

Silly practical Mom insisting that we take the UCLA tour first so not to get completely lost in costumes and forget all together!

9. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    Darth Manos: the link works.

10. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I just got back from my trip to Southern California. I wish I had taken more fun photos of the crowd and costumed fans at Fan Day, but my memory card was almost full after having spent several days at the museum (I really regret not having purchased an extra flash card :( ).

Perhaps tonight I'll have a chance to post the handful of fan day photos I took (Trooper with Balloons, LadySonnet's husband in the x-wing, Maggie posing next to the picnic gown).

I want to give a HUGE THANKS again to Darth_Manos and Biba_Fett for all of their help and taking the time to meet us during Fan Day [:D]. It's beyond nice of you both to indulge us by answering our questions and helping out with fantastic photos!

- Kay Dee

11. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    I'll try and go through the rest of the non museum fan day photos I have and add them to my shutterfly albums.

Even with almsot a half a gig of memory, I ran out fast.

It was great to meet everybody. I think between the 5 or 6 people
    we were with, theres probably at least 1500 photos waiting to
    be viewed. Maybe more.

I think from now on I'm going the VGA route for most of
    my fan photos. They are easier to edit, and get the job done.

The special shots get the 5 meg treatment.

12. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    I've added some more fan day shots.

http://scumandvillainy.shutterfly.com

13. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    Darth_Manos: Thanks for more photos! Great ones of Badger and the xwing. And....they told me "first rule of padme club is that you don't talk about padme club" ;)

I used to go the route of VGA for event photos and highest res for "more" important stuff. And then I wanted to make a very large print of an event photo and couldn't as it was lower res. I've now decided that more memory is cheaper than not being able to do, later, what I want with the images. So now I'm shooting everything at highest res. I also have the advantage that my photo host doesn't limit either upload or storage.

I'm coming to FIDM next month with 3 1gig cards and a laptop in the trunk of the car in case I need to download. But the 3 gigs will give me a over 900 images at 6.2 megapixels.

14. ZamIAm

ZamIAm Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    Anyone going Oct 22nd? I will be there in costume in the morning and after three geeking out as a touristy fan. If the Darth Manos and Bibagirl will be there, too I would love to say hi. And any other costumer that frequents the costume boards. I might recognize a screenname or two ;) I lurk a lot, cause I mostly post on the TDH. But it's always nice to meet peoples. I really admire those who have given so much to the boards too. It would be nice to see the face behind the screenname. So much talent. Doncha all wish we could all be working for Trisha? Well, in this case, FIDM at the moment? ;)

15. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    I'll see if I can convince her to go in on a day off. Remember,
    despite everyones sparkling personalities, it is still somewhat
    like going into work on a day off. Is anyone going to be there in
    the morning this Saturday? If yes, we will be there. But it will be
    an in and out sort of affair.

And if anyone is going on a weekday, pm me. I'm sure the odd request for
    a quick tour or explanation would be workable.

But don't be surprised if obligations prevent such shenanigans.

16. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    That's exactly what crossed my mind when biba-girl was spending time with us on Sunday. It was a coincindence that we planned our trip before we knew about fan day. We were very luck getting you both there on the weekend, and we appreciate the fact that you spent the entire day there when you could have easily stopped in for just a few minutes to say hello and gone back home to relax.

- Kay Dee (with any luck I'll get photos posted by midnight ;) )

*Edit*

Here are my photos of the Fan Day festivities:

FIDM STAR WARS FAN DAY PHOTOS

17. ZamIAm

ZamIAm Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    Wow, I don't want you to have to make a special trip for us. By all means! Relax! I know what it's like when you have to be in costume 2 days straight, and people won't let you sit down to eat, and then nearly passing out from exhaustion, while this was all on free time, and being nursed back to health by strangers. ;)

If anyone else is going to happen to be there, Oct 22, chime in! :D

18. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    Added a few more Fan Day shots. Apologies for not getting to
    the Naboo costume shots. Had to let Biba Fett on to answer your
    questions. Life is a toss up like that sometimes...

19. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    Ok, finally got my photos uploaded. I only have 40 in total because the additional camera was forgotten. That's alright though.

Yahoo Album I still have the hi res on my hard drive, so if you need any, PM me and I'll send them your way!

20. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I'm glad you got to make it to the exhibit Fenig :) Thanks for sharing the pictures!

- Kay Dee

21. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    I totally don't remember seeing the Amidala Silk scarf at FIDM, when I was there for the Gala.
    Did anyone see the scarves at Gala and/or on Fan Day? http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/misc/news20051018.html
    Limited to 150 large (about 40x40 inches) silk scarves of Queen Amidala by local artist Cicely Gilman ($165)

[image=http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/misc/20051018_picview/img/2.jpg]

I did buy the Amidala tee shirt: Amidala, Chewbacca, or Darth Vader FIDM t-shirts ($30 each)
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/misc/20051018_picview/img/3.jpg]

and the 17x23-inch exhibit poster ($10)
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/misc/20051018_picview/img/6.jpg]

22. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I saw 3 of the silk scarves. There is a gift shop just to the right of the entrance and they were hanging on a wall. Each scarf is slightly different in coloring. It was tempting to consider getting one... if that was a costume I had recreated I'd have gotten it for sure!

I got the t-shirt and poster though.

- Kay Dee

23. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    Rumours of a second fan day are becoming more concrete.

I'll pass on exact the exact date when I know it.
    I'll also try and get them to settle on it quickly
    so more people can make plans to attend.

24. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce02b3127cce9497b97b2e7000000015108AZtm7Nm5Ytj
    One of the few shots we have from LOTR show.

25. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Got my exhibit photos done finally:

http://www.sistersola.com/FIDM/fidmexhibit.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.