main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Star Wars FIDM exhibit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by PadawansGuide, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    oh wow! you have some really nice close ups there Sola! amazing pics =P =)

2. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Great pics Sola!

AHHH The youngling helmets are on backwards!

[image=http://www.sistersola.com/FIDM/Exhibit/sistersola-FIDM-2005-016.jpg]

They really didn't put alot of thought into setting up some of teh costumes I noticed, like Anakin's tabards that are nicely pulled way over the tunic...

3. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Wow, from what Biba-girl told us Trisha herself did a walk through of the exhibit - making note of things to change before it opened. I guess that goes to show even she doesn't memorize every detail of the costumes and how they are worn.

I think a lot of thought and effort was put into the exhibit. Perhaps we should keep in mind that the people putting it together do not study the costumes the way that some fans do. They probably did the best they could given the resources (reference photos and instructions) they were provided with. :)

- Kay Dee

4. Darth_Manos

Darth_Manos Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2005

To be as diplomatic as possible, keep these things in mind.

Each of the costumes comes with a "how to dress" binder.
    These are the binders that I'm sure each person here would give
    left testicles ( or ovaries ) and all of their eye teeth to have.

Thrisha Biggar, and Ivo did the final dress walk through correcting any details they felt were wrong.

Lastly, Geroge Lucas did the pre Grand Opening walk through.
    If he didn't approve, the show wouldn't have opened. His quote
    to the Fidm Staff, and my wife inparticular; "Thank you, these
    costumes have never looked this good."

I know text communication is passable at best, and misunderstandings are commonplace. But I think this comment could be interpreted as
    oversimplifying the massive amount of effort that went into
    getting this show up.

No offense is taken, but I hope that by pointing this out,
    I can smooth any feathers before they get ruffled.

And yes, not everyone on the staff is into Star Wars like my wife.
    And she even pales in comparison to most of the die hard costumers
    here.

5. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Oh I didn;t mean it in offense at all, was more comical than anything that the helmets were backwards.

As for Anakin's tabards though, c3 AND Boston both put them on right FIDM has them crossed over the chest noticibly.

But again these are not in anyway meant to be offense observations at all...

6. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I had a feeling you didn't mean to be offensive. I've probably made comments about the exhibit that could have seemed negative as well.

I do think it's helpful to note what some errors might be (the way someone listed out a few things that were not screen accuarte with the x-wing fighter pilot costume).

- Kay Dee

7. PrincessOfTheed

PrincessOfTheed Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2004
    I just realized the other day that the black beaded Coruscant dress (the one padme wears after the senate) isn't at the exhibit. This makes me sad, b/c there are not enough good pictures of that costume and it is one of my favorites *sigh*

does anyone know why this one wasn't put in the exihibit? it seems strange that they didn't display that one. I know that they didn't display the rainbow dress b/c (I think) I heard that it only looked good on Natalie......but why not show the black beaded dress? was it damaged or something?

I was so hoping to see that one, especially have some new pictures of it.

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, it could be that it's scheduled to be in another exhibit elsewhere. I know there was a costume exhibit in Italy recently. I don't know all of the costumes that were displayed there but I do know her purple gown from TPM (the one she wears to return to Naboo) was at the Italian display and it's not currently at FIDM. There is also an exhibit about to open in Singapore that will have some costumes so it's possible it will be there instead.

The new book does have a very nice full length picture of her wearing it and a very clear detail shot of the beading on the sleeve lining. There's only a blurb of text about it but the gown is described as being made from black fringed silk and cut chenille fabric with panne velvet rouleau which is lined in gray shot-silk taffeta.[face_hypnotized] :)

9. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    Digging out a quote from when the exhibt first opened:
    It's already been reported that the Lake Gown (Gondola)was in NYC for the runway show:
    http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=4778

And now I can report that the White Ceremonial dress is in Paris! Details and links to photos at end of thread here: http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=23&TopicID=4872
    [image=http://www.501frenchgarrison.com/galeriesortie/expo2005/images/th_0201expoart.JPG]

10. PrincessOfTheed

Nov 11, 2004

Thanks for the info obi dawn!! it was really helpful! I never thought about the fact that the sruff might be on tour elsewhere ^^; and I completely forgot about her purple retrun to naboo dress *headdesk*

oh and the info about it in the book is really great to hear! I can't wait to get my book now XDD

11. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks so much for the links Queen Amidala. I believe I'm going to make the Parade Ceremony gown late next year. (A few gals here are doing the green handmaidens that accompany this gown). I sure wish I could see it in person, I'd love to see details of what look like a hand pained applique on the front of the gown. At least the photos in the dressing a Galaxy book will be helpful.

- Kay Dee

12. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I thought they did a beautiful job setting up the exhibit - there are so many costumes and each costume has *so* many details, that I'm sure they were deceptively difficult to set up. And if Trisha, Ivo, and George didn't notice things out of place, then you certainly can't blame the FIDM staff! I didn't even notice the younglings helmets til you mentioned it! I don't think it detracts from the exhibit at all! I'm sure I probably complained about things (mainly the lighting in the Jedi and Sith rooms) too, but I too, didn't mean it to offend anyone involved. I know how much work went into it! And I can happily say it was worth flying across the country to see!

13. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    With that many costumes I can understand details can go astray and thats fine...I dodn;t mean it negatively at all...granted my post probably seemed very ignorant but I was more or less tongue and cheaking it :) Honestly. Found the helmets more humourous than anything.

14. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    Maybe thats why they are in the pose they are.
    Thats the "I'm about to run into a door" pose.

15. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    You know, they *are* younglings - maybe they put them on themselves wrong and Joscasta Nu was about to correct them! Very cleverly and purposefully done I'm sure!! ;)

16. LadySonnet

LadySonnet Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2003
    Since I've made the Ep. 1 post-senate gown, I asked Biba-Fett about it (I was sad it wasn't in the exhibit too).

The answer was that they (lucasfilm) didn't like the condition the headdress was in. So I'm guessing that will mean that it won't be seen on display anywhere. :_|

Sonnet

17. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    That's really a pity. With or without the headdress, that's a beautiful dress!

18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks for the info Sonnet. That's really too bad about the headdress. It is so very pretty.

19. PrincessOfTheed

Nov 11, 2004
    thanks for the info.
    awww~ that's too bad ;_; who says they have to display the headdress too >_<;; I don't care as much about the hair as much as the dress >_<;; I don't think it would have mattered, seriously....oh well...their chioce ;_;

20. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    Pssssst!!!! I hear tell that the Helmets have been turned around to their proper
    orientation.

21. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    LOL! You didn't!

22. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    No, I didn't. But Biba Fett did.

Checked the "How To" book. Looks like someone didn't pay attention.

23. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Heh, now you'll get people asking for pics of the back of the helmet!!

24. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    They had their chance!!! And I think I have a few already.

25. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Heh thats awesome! I was totally really teasing before! I didn't even think it would be changed, but I do thank you for looking into it!

I would like anyone who has pictures of the helmets to pos them though...one project I would like to try :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.