main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Star Wars FIDM exhibit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by PadawansGuide, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    Perhaps we could. And perhaps you could help me with areas and hotels. I know next to nothing about the city, so I could use some help with finding a hotel somewhere near where I need to be which won't be scary, but still affordable. :)

2. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I know a lot of this info is a repeat, but some is not.

Cat, who runs the Alley Cat Scratch site as well as LOTR Costume Gather got in touch with her contacts who operate the FIDM exhibit. Here is what he had to say:

1. Photography will be allowed. NO FLASH. NO TRIPODS.

2. Sketching will be allowed, space permitting.
    (In both cases, if the galleries get too crowded, Security may need to ask people to move on.)

3. There are no special opening events for costume folks. We are expecting 100,000 to 200,000 visitors over the three months this exhibition is open. Tickets are required, and may be obtained for a nominal fee through our website, www.starwars.fidm.edu. This website has volumes of information about the exhibition, including maps, parking, public transportation, etc.

4. Folks visiting in costume are more than welcome. The only limitation is nothing that looks like a weapon will be permitted in the galleries, and we do not have anywhere to check bags.

Some people at LOTR Costume Gather may attempt to organize a group who would like to attend the exhibit in costume. Note - these people are not officially involved in opening events. Just fans who decided they would like to attend the exhibit in costume.

As for DMC color matching, I hear ya ;) I think we need to play it cool.

- Kay Dee

3. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Thanks! :)

I also must remind myself to get it too for the The Art of SW Exhibition here since I'm spending a LOT of time with it and learn my lesson from the LOTR one. [face_peace] Not that much costumes but still some of my favourites like IRG will be there. [face_love]

4. TheJedisCloset

TheJedisCloset Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2005
    Isn't this an amazing thing!~=P~
    Thanks Maggie for reminding me, been a bit consumed lately with the move.After this weekend we should be completly moved in, OMG I hope!!
    I am hoping to get there for the opening, I'm in the Los Angeles vicinity for those who don't know me. I hope to get there a few times during the exhibit at $5.00 a pop who wouldn't. So I will try to take some detailed pics and notes. I think this will be a great opp. and I hope to accumulate a small Biggar bible by which to refer in future endeavors of my costuming wish list. LOL Don't we all have those.
    I can't wait!!! Thank you FIDM. Anyone coming out to see it?
    Christi

5. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Darth_Eagle - I was seriously thinking about bringing a DMC chart if I can get my hands on one. Or failing that, paint swatches. :)

6. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    Or hey, a Color-Aid set :)

7. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    hey, how about compiling a list of things to get pics of we just can't quite see in the pics available, stuff like the picnic dress pin or the "napkin ring" on the bottom front of the pastel lake dress--kind of like a photo scavenger hunt hehe

8. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    No need to worry, I'll be taking pics of everything from as many angles as possible (learned my lesson at CIII that you can never take TOO many photos of the archive stuff!).

9. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I'm going to see if I can borrow my boss's uber camera I use at work :D 8.2 MP, a 28-80 zoom, and 100mm macro lens (can we say DETAIL). Plus it has a memory card that will hold about 1000 pictures. Its the Canon EOS 1D Mark II - friggen schweet camera :D Ooooo I hope he lets me borrow it.

10. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Yes - the picnic pin is definitely something I want to observe!!

Anyone willing to send me pics to post - that'd be great! :)

11. anifan

anifan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    WHAT THE HELL DOES FIDM STAND FOR AND WHERE IS IT

12. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising. This exhibit will be at their L.A. campus.
    http://fidm.com/

I'm also really excited to finally see what the picnic pin really looks like. :)

13. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Man, I've been so obsessed over fabric, layers of the skirt, the kind of stitching used on the vining, the mysterious cut-outs on the corset fabric - etc. I totally forgot about the brooch! (I guess I figured I can't make one and gave up on that part being canon - lol!)

I'm soooo glad I halted work on my V2.0 of my "meadow" picnic dress. In a way I'd hate to have to buy more fabric and start the dye process all over again... but if I'm gonna put in the hours I might as well do it right. I do hope what I have purchsed and dyed is salvagable though and not too far off from the real thing.

I just wish we had some confirmation that the examples of "Trisha Biggar's" work up at FIDM are also examples of what will actually be on display. Is this going to be like the banner outside the exhibit at CIII with the Peacock costume on it... yet it wasn't on display inside. I need to brace myself for a let down.

- Kay Dee

14. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    kay_dee, if the picnic dress is there, then I can't wait to have all those things you mentioned cleared up for once and all! And if you can color match the silk, that would be terrific!

You should repost a list of all the things we still need to verify or learn about this dress in the picnic thread. We can all brainstorm about what else needs researching! :)

15. across0the0stars

Jul 29, 2003
    that's kind of what I was getting at when I mentioned making a general list for all costumes. It's just so easy to forgot one or two little things in the excitement of it all

16. anifan

anifan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    man i am in VA the other side of the country

17. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I'd hate for FIDM to get wind that we might be doing color matching - I hate to be paranoid but I think we should keep mum on the lists.

I think a great idea would be for people to compile check lists for the costumes they are familiar with. Even if it's just a wish list because we don't have confirmation on what costumes are there just yet.

Should we start a seperate thread for this so the discussion doesn't get muddled up with general 'when and where is FIDM' type of conversation?

- Kay Dee

18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Ok, I hear what you're saying. :)

19. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    So, did anyone else notice this? I've been keeping an eye on tickets regularly for opening week becuase a group of us was planning a trip. It seems that literally overnight every block of ticktes (75 tickets every 15 minutes) for the 12- 18th were bought up. I tried to ask the ticket agent on the phone what went on and she only gave me FIDM's recording to call.

Did anyone else notice this phenomenon? I knew it was a popular exhibit, but evey day I'd check and the tickets would be sitting there so I wasn't in a panic yet. I just get a feeling this wasn't random people buying up the tickets a few at a time.

- Kay Dee

20. across0the0stars

Jul 29, 2003
    well maybe people that actually go to the courses the institute offers bought the tickets in bulk, ya know, a faculty member just took down orders and bought'm all up at a cut off date or something along those lines,

that sucks, no one else can go to the opening then??

21. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I dunno, or perhaps rather than actually having to have the students buy tickets they decided to make the first week a preview for the students and faculty and special invite guests? The students often spend lots of time in the exhibit studying it and that would have been hard for them to do if they are expecting large crowds.

I'm hoping to hear something more concrete than just 'they sold out' because that's a huge amount to vanish entirely overnight. Some had theories about the 501st buying up the tickets. I know they are big but the entire week?

- Kay Dee

22. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    OK, this seems to be the official word so far from Michael Black at FIDM regarding the exhibit (I had Cat from ACS contact him)

>>Due to a technicality, the exhibition will now open on September 19 instead of September 12.

>>Michael Black
    >>Assistant to Museum Director
    >>FIDM Museum & Galleries

Wonder how long it will take for their web site to reflect this supposed schedule change?

- Kay Dee

23. across0the0stars

Jul 29, 2003
    that sounds like it would be it to me, however... it doesn't make sense to have tickets available if they weren't up to be bought by anyone... =\ I wish the darn exhibit would just tour, come to NYC for a while!!!

24. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    They're changing the start date? Geez, I'm glad I didn't buy airline tickets for opening day! I'd be really unhappy right now! I hope no one else has been adversely affected by this! FIDM or LFL should really get their story straight before publishing the "official" dates! (Can you tell I'm tired of being jerked around today? *cough* Dressing the Galaxy *cough*)

25. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Wow, I can't believe they changed the opening day - I'm sure that will screw up some people's travel plans, ouch!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.